MM Topic Wearing the Master Mason Ring

montkun

Outside of Lodge, I decided that I'm not going to wear any identifiers until I perform my proficiency. I was raised on 8/29/15, and hopefully I've done enough to get it done next week at the meeting.

It's a personal choice in my opinion, and if you're ready to be tried at any time then feel free to wear it.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
It seems there are as many opinions about wearing masonic rings as there are Masons. A newly raised brother in my lodge told me he had just obtained his ring. I told him that he would be confronted by many brothers who will attempt to instruct him on how to wear it. I told him to wear it in the way that pleases him.

About an hour later, he came up to me and laughingly told me that an argument had started around him by the brothers with various opinions on how his ring should be worn. Finally, he asked me why I wear my ring the way I do. I told him I wear it with the points facing me when I want to remind myself I'm a Mason and the points away from me when I want to tell others.

Manderthal

It's a silly argument.
Does anyone really need to remind themselves that they're a Freemason and, does the direction of the points thereon actually affect one's thinking while it's on one's own finger?
Also to the argument that it should be worn differently once a past master is laughable unless your lodge only raises one new candidate per year or are the past Masters elite somehow and should be identified as such by wearing their ring in a different manner than their common brethren? Does every brother desire to lead the lodge? Are the good brothers who never get to the East forever doomed to wear their ring in a different manner than those oh-so-special few Past Masters?
I belong to the common sense camp that says Congratulations on your accomplishments in Freemasonry and wear your ring with pride in whatever manner you want.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
It's a silly argument.
Does anyone really need to remind themselves that they're a Freemason and, does the direction of the points thereon actually affect one's thinking while it's on one's own finger?
Also to the argument that it should be worn differently once a past master is laughable unless your lodge only raises one new candidate per year or are the past Masters elite somehow and should be identified as such by wearing their ring in a different manner than their common brethren? Does every brother desire to lead the lodge? Are the good brothers who never get to the East forever doomed to wear their ring in a different manner than those oh-so-special few Past Masters?
I belong to the common sense camp that says Congratulations on your accomplishments in Freemasonry and wear your ring with pride in whatever manner you want.
As we both agree, we should wear our rings any way we want to. My choice is to wear it with the points facing away most of the time. When I need to remind myself I'm a Mason I turn it around.

When I feel I may not be keeping my passions within due bounds, the simple act of turning my ring around can often be enough to calm me down and help me take a more reasoned approach to a problem at hand.

When I have a difficult task ahead of me I may turn my ring around to focus myself on getting the job done right.

When I've had to whisper council into a brother's ear I might turn the ring around to prepare myself and make sure the talk starts and ends with brotherly love.

I don't consider any of these things to be silly and I struggle to live by the Plumb, Level and Square every day. If you have mastered your passions to the point where you never need to remind yourself I congratulate you. I'm not quite there yet and sometimes use my ring to help me on that path.

Manderthal

Brother - Please don't misunderstand. I'm certainly not calling you or your process silly. I simply said that the argument of there being hard and fast RULES for how a brother wears his ring is silly. If my intent wasn't clear I apologize.
However, much like Superman is capable of all his feats whether dressed as Superman or Clark Kent, I do believe that you're able to do it all no matter which way your points are facing.
In the end, if your process helps you to consciously do great things and be a better man than it truly is effective and should continue.
Personally I have much work to do on my ashlar. Though square and true it is obviously still a bit rough.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Brother - Please don't misunderstand. I'm certainly not calling you or your process silly. I simply said that the argument of there being hard and fast RULES for how a brother wears his ring is silly. If my intent wasn't clear I apologize.
However, much like Superman is capable of all his feats whether dressed as Superman or Clark Kent, I do believe that you're able to do it all no matter which way your points are facing.
In the end, if your process helps you to consciously do great things and be a better man than it truly is effective and should continue.
Personally I have much work to do on my ashlar. Though square and true it is obviously still a bit rough.
See, I should have turned my ring around before that reply :)

No offence taken. I don't know of anyone else who uses this process with his ring to prepare for difficult situations. It's just my thing. It puts me in the proper frame of mind. We all know the value of rituals.