What are you reading ?

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
If you are looking for a 22 page research paper about the dissolution of the Knights Templar, then I am your man ;).
I would be very interested in reading it, if wouldn't mind sharing it. I'm a novice Templar researcher and have always been infatuated with the Middle Ages.

Actually, the biggest part i dont get is according to the Encyclopedia, my understanding is that the Templars started off as very high moral beings with self sacrifice for others being their primary initiative....

By the end (again, this is just what i gathered from the encyclopedia and i could have a bad understanding) they were corrupt and avoided conflicts. They embezzled(sp?) money and were generally poor moral characters. They became part of the Masons after they fled from the accusations of Philip.

Just from that very broad assessment, Im finding it difficult to reason out why we have a set of degrees in honor of them???
If you ever get a chance to watch the History Channel, they have a few specials on the Templars. Much information around the time of their suppression is bloated with lies from Phillip the Fair and his puppet on the throne of God. Some "confessions" that you hear about come from the result of horrible torture.

Terry S

Id love to read that research paper, too.

The entry i was reading mentioned the false accusations and confessions of idols and witchcraft as a result of the torture by Philips men.

Since the entry seperated the parts of false confessions and the part where the Templars had essentially gotten "lazy" with their duties were not connected. I guess i have a lot to learn.

DavisB

If you will PM me your emails I will send it right over :D The actual Essay isn't all that long only about 8 pages. But I included a translated copy of the Chinon Parchment as an appendix and I would encourage reading it. The rest is all of the stuff I had to include for school. Feel free to ignore that bit.

kcarpenteruk

Hi All,

I am currently reading Issac Newton's Freemasonry by Alain Bauer
ISBN-13: 978-1-59477-172-9
It is a very interesting review of the early days of speculative freemasonry using some very interesting French based sources through the Royal Society and the scientific/hernetic influences.
So far a good read.

Keith

Bropreston

I`m currently reading "the masonic magican" , although I have already read it many times I keep coming back to it, then next on the list is "so you think you know ritual" by rev neville barker cryer......

Winter

I've been here before
Masonic reading: "Masonic Traveler" by Greg Stewart

Also: "H.P. Lovecraft. The Complete Fiction"

1) Out of Many: A History of the American People Volume I, 5th Edition

2)Brannigans Building Construction for the Fire Service 4th Edition Brannigan/Corbet

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Masonic reading: "Masonic Traveler" by Greg Stewart

Also: "H.P. Lovecraft. The Complete Fiction"
LOVE H.P. Lovecraft . I have the very same book on my shelves and now I may have to drag it back out and re-read it , yet again .

Masonic : Going to re-read "Building Boaz" .

johnj1582

I've been busy, as far as my reading goes... I'm working on Secret Teachings of All Ages (Manly P. Hall), I'm in the first volume of the Talmud Bavli, I'm reading Likutey Maharan, I've been doing a little of The Republic each day as well, and of course, with the MC program, I've been reading the Ritual Monitor and Guide and A Bridge To Light. I also try and read a chapter from M&D each day.

G

Gary

Brannigans Building Construction for the Fire Service 4th Edition Brannigan/Corbet
Read it, passed the class, and gave the book back! :p

I'll admit that I did learn quite a bit from that book though.

Masonic : Going to re-read "Building Boaz" .
Tip- Take notes or highlight important bits when you do. You'll be glad you did. It helps to review and make connections with other parts of the book.

and of course, with the MC program, I've been reading the Ritual Monitor and Guide and A Bridge To Light. I also try and read a chapter from M&D each day.
I'm taking that course too. I just got my grades back from quiz #3. I missed three questions! How in the heck did I do that!?? I there seems to be more than one right answer for some of them. I passed the quiz, but I swear it's getting more difficult!

Three more quizzes to go!

Read it, passed the class, and gave the book back! :p

I'll admit that I did learn quite a bit from that book though.

Tip- Take notes or highlight important bits when you do. You'll be glad you did. It helps to review and make connections with other parts of the book.

I'm taking that course too. I just got my grades back from quiz #3. I missed three questions! How in the heck did I do that!?? I there seems to be more than one right answer for some of them. I passed the quiz, but I swear it's getting more difficult!

I am not gonna give the book back....it cost too much $$$.....any suggestions for a "Interesting" topic for a research paper in the building construction line???

G

Gary

I am not gonna give the book back....it cost too much $$$.....any suggestions for a "Interesting" topic for a research paper in the building construction line???

I had borrowed the book from our Dept. library.

As far as a topic for your paper,
Consider doing one on the hazards of light weight roof construction. Google McDonald's ( I think it was a McDonald's) fire...

Firefighters got lost during an interior attack/search and the roof came down on them and killed them. It wasn't the roof so much as it was the air conditioning units, etc,. on top of the roof.

johnj1582

I felt the same way! There are several questions that I felt had 2 or even 3 right answers. I'm about to mail off quiz 5.

I'm just starting to work on the College of the Consistory stuff from Guthrie too, and I am working on an article on Music and Masonry for the Dallas Valley newsletter.

G

Gary

I felt the same way! There are several questions that I felt had 2 or even 3 right answers. I'm about to mail off quiz 5.

I'm just starting to work on the College of the Consistory stuff from Guthrie too, and I am working on an article on Music and Masonry for the Dallas Valley newsletter.
I've got quiz 4, just have to do the reading and get cracking on the answers and essay.

I'm not a SR mason yet, so I doubt I could do the College of the Consistory stuff yet. I hear that's a pretty intense program.

johnj1582

it does seem pretty intense. there's at least 10 questions PER DEGREE, as opposed to MC I. The good news is the College of the Consistory course is free, and uses A Bridge to Light as well.

Man....the SJ sure has some good stuff.......

How would one take the College of the Consistory course???

BTW...johnj1582.....is your Lodge near Lewisville??