MM Topic What do you consider Masonic Education to be?

Bluetemplar

Perfection is unknowable, however we can all strive to be better than who we are. In my humble opinion Freemasonry's entire subject matter is grounds for masonic education. To say that certain aspects of the fraternity are and are not education is severely limiting, since each brother brings different knowledge and experience to the meeting which others may or may not have, that act of imparting ANY knowledge would be grounds for masonic education.

Some are great ritualists and bring a vast, competent, as well as patient teacher to the floor of a school of instruction. Others are able administrators and can be found wearing the collar of a Lodge Secretary or Master. They also can teach the same talents to up and coming officers of the line. Historians, hold the fraternities memory of both triumphs and mistakes made by those who came before us, imparting thier knowledge to an inquiring brother or brothers.

So is Masonic Education strictly the architectural alchemey we expect when we go to a meeting? I dont think so. Freemasonry as subject matter is so vast and published that all aspects of the fraterntiy should be considered education with no questions or answers being ridiculed or taboo.

When practiced it should be the total free exchange of ideas and knowledge inherent in the very fiber of the craft, Freemasonry is education, one need only avail himself of the lessons.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Perfection is a process. It is knowable.

The definition that some Brothers use for the word, "perfection", is flawed.

Masonic Education is not just any knowledge. It is knowledge that improves the self. Any other knowledge that does not do this, including what masquerades as Masonic Education, is not Masonic Education.

Bluetemplar

Perfection is a process. It is knowable.

The definition that some Brothers use for the word, "perfection", is flawed.

Masonic Education is not just any knowledge. It is knowledge that improves the self. Any other knowledge that does not do this, including what masquerades as Masonic Education, is not Masonic Education.
I would have to respectfully differ, man by his own is flawed, even the whitest block of marble or granite has imperfections and as human beings we will always make mistakes, get angry, oversleep, show preferential treatment to those closest to us, and a host of other dispositions that make us a fallable creation.

Does that mean we do not strive to make ourselves better, no! We should always be willing to make ourselves better than who we are, and make the world and our communities better as a result. With us the temple will always remain unfinished, it can never be perfected until god himself (but whatever name you may call him) has perfected us.

Masonic Education is another term, would not the knowledge needed to take the east as an adminestrator and organizer not only help both the new master in his personal enrichment and also that of the lodge? Ritual and ceremony are not the only things that make a lodge work, while it is certainly important to our traditions, and how we identify ourselves as an organization (without our rules of order, and ceremony we might as well be a sewing circle)
everything from bookkeeping to public speaking can be found as important and essential to the personal skills of its officers and members.

So yes, I qualify anything, even that which is not strictly masonic to have potential to be personally enriching to the lodge and its members. Even something so basic as a banquet or table lodge teaches personal deportment of the attending guests, something that has not been seen since the says of victorian charm schools, and the ability for members not only to take those lessons with them outside of the lodge and exemply them at an event which may not always be masonic, but by his well ordered conduct be a shining example what Freemasonry, personal enrichment and education exemplifies.

I am sorry brother, I do differ and as always will respect the opinion of every brother. For me Freemasonry has been an educational proving ground for men of good character, providing chances of good social grace and a serious want to expand upon ones personal improvement. for me its not as simple as asking what does the square and compass mean, for me its what does the square and compass mean, and what should I be doing about it.

I remain always yours fraternally

CoachN

Builder Builder
I would have to respectfully differ, man by his own is flawed, even the whitest block of marble or granite has imperfections and as human beings we will always make mistakes, get angry, oversleep, show preferential treatment to those closest to us, and a host of other dispositions that make us a fallable creation.
As is your right my Brother. Our definitions of the words, "perfect" and "perfection" differ and hence what you claim and what I claim using the same words will not show agreement to the unknowing mind.

Humans are "perfectly designed to be what they are and get the results they get." It is what makes them "human." What you see as flaws, I see as opportunities to improve. Again, you have defined the word, "perfect" differently and in only one way. There is another definition of the word that does not focus on "flaws."

Does that mean we do not strive to make ourselves better, no! We should always be willing to make ourselves better than who we are, and make the world and our communities better as a result. With us the temple will always remain unfinished, it can never be perfected until god himself (but whatever name you may call him) has perfected us.
What you are describing is captured by the other definition of the word, "perfect."

Masonic Education is another term, would not the knowledge needed to take the east as an adminestrator and organizer not only help both the new master in his personal enrichment and also that of the lodge?
If it focuses upon the organization, it's "Freemason Education." If it focuses upon improving the man, it's "Masonic Education." Personal enrichment is Masonic Enrichment. Lodge enrichment is Freemason Enrichment.
Ritual and ceremony are not the only things that make a lodge work, while it is certainly important to our traditions, and how we identify ourselves as an organization (without our rules of order, and ceremony we might as well be a sewing circle) everything from bookkeeping to public speaking can be found as important and essential to the personal skills of its officers and members.
All these things are intended to make a better member, not a better man. If a man become better though as a result, this doesn't mean that it is Masonic Education. It merely means that the organization is better supported by his abilities to perform as a better member.
So yes, I qualify anything, even that which is not strictly masonic to have potential to be personally enriching to the lodge and its members. Even something so basic as a banquet or table lodge teaches personal deportment of the attending guests, something that has not been seen since the says of victorian charm schools, and the ability for members not only to take those lessons with them outside of the lodge and exemply them at an event which may not always be masonic, but by his well ordered conduct be a shining example what Freemasonry, personal enrichment and education exemplifies.
You and I have differing opinions my Brother. We have shared them. Thank you for your contribution.
I am sorry brother, I do differ and as always will respect the opinion of every brother.
As will I.
For me Freemasonry has been an educational proving ground for men of good character, providing chances of good social grace and a serious want to expand upon ones personal improvement. for me its not as simple as asking what does the square and compass mean, for me its what does the square and compass mean, and what should I be doing about it.
I agree.

Bluetemplar

I think as individuals we seem to define this differently. For my part I maintain that what we learn in the lodge may not just be for the lodge itself, but can be used in a persons vocation or in everyday life work, home, etc.

Also in turn other members bring different life experiences and talents to contribute from outside the lodge as well. While these notions may not directly involve the discussion of ritual or history, they play a large part in the fulfillment of a large tennant in masonic philosphy, self improvement.

Many Grand Lodges I know have pondered this question about what is "Masonic Education". Especially in what should be presented during presentations or in the case of research bodies putting together reading lists for things like Philalethes. I am not saying one in the Grand College, Blue Friars or in Philalethes should be writing a research paper on do it yourself cabinet making. But we do get an informal education from within, not only by putting things into practice, but also by the diverse nature of our membership.

Speakers may not always be making a strictly masonic presentation at a meeting, but instead may go into subject matter like Estate Planning, or Gardening etc. Such instances would not be "masonic education" but simple education aquired while at a masonic meeting.

All that having been said I don't think we should be hemming ourselves in with just "masonic educational" criteria. While a good part of these things are important (as I stated earlier, without our ritual, history and traditions we would be little more than a sewing circle) it behoves us to keep things fresh and interesting, encouraging free thought and letting new members know what they have to bring to the table is important to us and that we are not just looking for dues every Dec 27th.

In closing let me say I have enjoyed this exchange, NOTHING exemplifies how a lodge works more than the civil discussion we have had over this issue in a public forum. My hats off to all who have contributed, if anything this is how debate and compromise work and shows how we resolve issues amoung ourselves and with others.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I started this thread many moons ago. It was one of the more enjoyable debates that we have had on this forum. There were many different perspectives. If you haven't read it, please do. If you have, has anything changed in your opinion on the subject?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Education is an essential part of being a Freemason. Whether it be in a Lodge or sitting on a couch having a 'discussion' on a forum. Enlightenment comes to an active, open, mind that diligently seeks new or improved understanding.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Education is an essential part of being a Freemason. Whether it be in a Lodge or sitting on a couch having a 'discussion' on a forum. Enlightenment comes to an active, open, mind that diligently seeks new or improved understanding.
Well said Brother!