What Freemason Do?

My Mom and Dad. Wanted To know what you guys do. I told them that you guys help. Your community that was best answer I could give them. For now until I find out more and become one my self. And make each other better man. I think this might something to ask my lodge.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Freemasons are charitable. We help each other to be better men. We hold ourselves to a high standard of morality, compassion, and friendship.
We create a space where by a fellow Brother can walk into and be accepted, no matter what or where he came from.

jaya

The focus of freemasonry is not charity and community support. Those are biproducts of what we do. If you want a community based group, look at the rotary or lions.

goomba

The singular purpose of Masonry is to make Masons. Now as Bro. Jaya said the other stuff is the effect of living the Masonic lessons.

MWS

I just want something to help make my life better.
Understandable. Please keep in mind that becoming a Mason doesn't automatically make your life better...it gives you the TOOLS to help with that journey. At the end of the day it's what you put in and the efforts you make.

jaya

There is no magic bullet to make life better. It takes work. Freemasonry teaches lessons. Nothing more and nothing less. It is what we as individuals do with those lessons that make a difference. We should strive to make ourselves into better men. It is not always easy and does take work. None of us are perfect. Freemasonry is not a civic organization. If you are looking for that, join the Lions, Elk, Rotary, or some other civic group.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Freemasonry is first and foremost a fraternity. We are guided by our three core principals: Brotherly Love, Truth and Relief.

Winter

I've been here before
This statement by you will not sit well with most any Mason. The reason is that we are not a "self help" program or an organization dedicated to helping people get their life together and on track. Freemasonry is for men that already have things going the way they should in their lives (or should). Freemasonry is a draw on a man' resources, his money and time. Both of these things should not be put towards Freemasonry if his life is not already in order. You may want to take a hard look at why you want to join the fraternity.

Robby1276

You will hear this a lot you get out if it what you put into it. Meaning it won't be handed to you, it's a lot of work. I agree with the other statements.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Freemasonry shall offer to you three maps that "can" help you become a Better Man. It is ENTIRELY up to you to learn how to read and follow them. Freemasonry assumes that you are mature enough to do just this. If you are not, you shall find the organization unfulfilling. It is the ultimate "Self-Help" organization, as in, you must HELP YOURSELF 'cause no one is gonna do it for ya!

devlin

Laus Deo
This statement by you will not sit well with most any Mason. The reason is that we are not a "self help" program or an organization dedicated to helping people get their life together and on track. Freemasonry is for men that already have things going the way they should in their lives (or should). Freemasonry is a draw on a man' resources, his money and time. Both of these things should not be put towards Freemasonry if his life is not already in order. You may want to take a hard look at why you want to join the fraternity.
Respectfully disagree... If our lives were already "on track" why would we have joined? Why would we need or want Masonry? " Making good men BETTER" speaks of self improvement/betterment. If I was already doing good and on my way to being a perfect ashlar I wouldn't feel driven join much less to pay dues. At least for me it is an excellent way to keep myself on the right path, my brothers help by supplying the tools and nudging me when I start falling off my path.

We all have different reasons for joining and staying members no single answer is right. I have found there are as many answers as there are brothers. I have explained my reasons to brothers of my lodge and they offer to be of what ever help they can be as I do for them.

Jon Brown

Freemasons are charitable. We help each other to be better men. We hold ourselves to a high standard of morality, compassion, and friendship.
We create a space where by a fellow Brother can walk into and be accepted, no matter what or where he came from.
Then why can someone with a felony not join? Everyone makes mistakes , we all do our best, the way I see it we have no other choice.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
The answer lies in the quote you copied. We hold ourselves to a high standard of morality. Committing a felony, it can be argued, is a conscious decision and by their nature, never a highly moral one.

I don't really follow why your parents would ask you, as a non-Mason, what we, as Freemasons, are part of. However on the understanding that you are now asking us for them please share, with them, the following:

Freemasonry is a many faceted Fraternity that has existed for over three centuries and which has been copied all over the world and as a result it has many many divisions that all agree on the importance of fraternal fellowship amongst good men regardless of their background. However, mainly due to its age its method of introducing new members is laced with moral imperatives that it expects its members to take to heart and act upon in their normal lives. A part of these encourages charitable acts and thinking among us.

Freemasonry is not a Charity nor is it a charitable organisation BUT it is responsible for the existence of Masonic charities around the world AND each Master Mason contributes money from his own pocket to many Charities and charitable organisations and many of us also go further in actually giving our own time to the same. The same is true of each individual Lodge around the world

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Then why can someone with a felony not join? Everyone makes mistakes , we all do our best, the way I see it we have no other choice.
I have seen a felon be elected, but it had been a significant time back, the crime did not involve moral turpitude, and the candidate obviously had changed his life.
As I was visiting a lodge in another jurisdiction, I did not have to decide how to vote, and am curious if the applicant made it through the degrees.
The lodge is the final arbiter of accepting a petition.

S&F