What if I don’t fit in

I seem to make friends everywhere I go. I am afraid that, once I do become a Mason, that I will not fit in there. Is there any advice that you could offer? The common response is "Be yourself and everything will be fine", the problem with that, is that I feel I am weird.... .maybe a little too weird for some people, and I worry I might make people uncomfortable.

That's good to know because sometime I weird people out. And I have lost many friends because of that. But then again that's what some people like about me ill make then laugh.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Jim, people who are 'weirded' out by you are weirded out by anyone who is not like them. To embrace different is a sign of the kind of maturity that I have found in Freemasonry. We have fun, laugh, cry, and care about each other.

Winter

I've been here before
Being yourself only goes so far. It must be balanced with adhering to certain social and societal norms on occasion.

I understand I'm weird but that not weird. It depends on the person, Like I said I some people laugh others just avoid me.

Effingham

MEDIA VITA IN MORTE SVMMVS
Being yourself only goes so far. It must be balanced with adhering to certain social and societal norms on occasion.
I'm reminded of the story about the "magic pill" that makes people more of what they are -- athletes are better, scientists are smarter, etc. -- and the lab assistant asked the critical question the scientist forgot: "Yeah, but what if you're an a**hole?"

MWS

Masons are just people as well, good men trying to be better. I'm sure you'll find the brethren to me more open minded and of a higher calibre. That being said, You'll find arseholes in every crowd...you won't like everyone and not everyone will like you. Do your best, be friendly and open, the rest will take care of itself.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am weird James , we are all weird (or considered weird by others) in our own way . Be yourself and you will find your niche' .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
As long as you put others before yourself, you can't go wrong in Masonry. Make sure you listen more than you speak. Make sure your actions say more than your words.

I'm happy that there some guys that are my age. maybe I make some friends I already have one, But they won't be like the ones I have now because they have jobs and stuff and be to busy To hang out with me.

devlin

Laus Deo
I seem to make friends everywhere I go. I am afraid that, once I do become a Mason, that I will not fit in there. Is there any advice that you could offer? The common response is "Be yourself and everything will be fine", the problem with that, is that I feel I am weird.... .maybe a little too weird for some people, and I worry I might make people uncomfortable.
LOL, I wish you were joining my lodge... we're all weird! Everyone is different, I too feel I am odd but it's me and I found I was not as weird as I felt. I have brothers that accept me for me and I realize most of why I felt weird was I didn't know what was expected of me, I didn't know what happened in the lodge, etc... What others have told you is 100% correct. Just be yourself and you'll be fine and find your not as weird as you thought....or they are just as weird as you! :D

Bill_F

Be careful what you wish for. I don't think we'll be hearing from Big Game James Garcia. I think he was just looking for a place to chat, and does not have the dedication, or even the want to pursue all that the Fraternity has to offer.