What Is The Best Type of Fowl to Raise?

Rick

My family is thinking of raising some type of fowl for meat and for the eggs they produce. I know there are a lot of chicken breeds out there but is a chicken the best type of fowl to raise? How about ducks or geese? Would they be better or is it just a question of taste?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I would say it would be a question of taste . For eggs , I would definitely say chicken . For meat , if it was me , I would have to say turkey because it is my favorite . When I still lived on our farm we had all three , chickens , ducks and turkeys . Oh , and we had guineas .

Do you live in the country or within city limits ? That would come into play as to what kind of birds you wanted to keep . It is against city ordinance to keep chicken , turkey or duck/geese in my town within city limits . We are allowed to raise pheasant and quail though as long as it is on a small scale , in other words just two or three each .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I want rabbit. Tastes good, and is cheaper to raise then chickens. I never thought about Turkey though. I love turkey. Also though about pigs. I can say you will have to keep an eye out for rats. Any live stock down here seems to bring out rats.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Rabbit is great . My ex father-in-law used to make rabbit/turtle stew , out of this world ! But , no matter what the Easter Bunny says , I don't think you can get an egg from a rabbit , lol .

Rick

Well, I'd like to see that Easter Bunny lay that colored plastic egg. I bet he would be saying OUCH! LOL. We live up a dead end hollow out in the country so we would be able to raise any fowl. I've been thinking about guinea hens for the watchdog properties. At least I would know if someone was sneaking around the place. I haven't had duck's eggs in years but my grandfather loved them. My parents would get me the little colored ducklings at Easter and then when they grew up, my grandfather would take them to his farm for the eggs and eventually for the meat. I'm thinking about raising turkey and chickens. Chickens for meat and eggs and turkey for the meat. We have all sorts of wild turkeys around the place but they don't taste very good.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Guineas are great watchdogs and if you can find their eggs , they are small but good . I don't mind wild turkey if prepared correctly (smoked or deep fried), but I would rather have local farm raised and not those from those huge processing farms .

Now , I want turkey for dinner today .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I want rabbit. Tastes good, and is cheaper to raise then chickens. I never thought about Turkey though. I love turkey. Also though about pigs. I can say you will have to keep an eye out for rats. Any live stock down here seems to bring out rats.
We only had problems with rats/field mice in our corn crib where we kept our feed corn . Our problem with our chickens were with fox and now that they released coyotes back into Ky . we are having problems with them also .

With the rats/mice our feral barn cats took care of them for the most part . We were not allowed to make pets of the cats as feral cats do a better job at mousing .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
We only had problems with rats/field mice in our corn crib where we kept our feed corn . Our problem with our chickens were with fox and now that they released coyotes back into Ky . we are having problems with them also .

With the rats/mice our feral barn cats took care of them for the most part . We were not allowed to make pets of the cats as feral cats do a better job at mousing .
I cannot do cats. They really mess with my allergies, bad. I used to have to deliver to a house where they lady had cats, and you could usually smell them two steps into her property. Drove me crazy. I can maybe stand an hour or two at friends house's who have cats depending on how many and how well they clean up after them.

lavins

I have never had any guineas, what exactly is the taste like if you could compare it? I remember my uncle telling me that rabbit taste like chicken, he fibbed, it is a totally different taste (at least it is to me).

Georgetown

Rabbit meat was always too tough for me. Maybe it was the way we cooked it. I think I would go with the Turkey. It just tastes better and cooks better in my opinion.