What makes someone a good parent?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Last night we discussed what makes a good parent. Three of us were there, three different types of parenting. Thought this would make an discussion.

What do you guys think are the qualities a person needs to be a good parent?
What do you guys think are the qualities that would prevent someone from being a good parent?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The wife and I have no children and do not plan to ever have any , so I would not be one qualified to answer this . BUT , I have often wondered what kind of parent I would be , my problem is that I do not relate well to children . I tend to talk to them and treat them like adults .

Now my parents (and Grandparents) raised us well . We were enstilled with a strong work ethic , well mannered , respected our elders , and did as we were told or we got a spanking . Time outs and groundings did nothing for us because we had no fear of them . But I feared the spankings so I did as I was told , when I was told and how I was told to do it . My parents did not beat us or abuse us and I thank them today for not sparing the rod . Kids today blow my mind , I told a 9 or 10 year old boy not long ago to quit jumping his skateboard off of my sidewalk (They were even up on my porch without permission) and he flipped me off and told me to F#$K off . I would have never dreamed of doing/saying something like that . Kids today seem to be a different breed (or it may be the parents).

freeman

I don't have my own children, but I do have two excellent parents. There were times that I resented them (as every kid does) but looking back I can see that they were truly wonderful examples.
They set clear guidelines for behaviour and for morals.
They set up a family environment that created many fun memories and had us spending time together each day. Eating supper together, going to church every week, games in the backyard, training 4-H steers...
They disciplined with a loving guesture. Firm lectures, but always a hug to follow.
Most of all, us kids all knew that we were loved and would be loved no matter what.

This makes a great parent, and I hope that someday I will be as great as they were for me!

JohnQ

I think the most important aspect of being a good parent is spending quality time with your children. Making it a point to read to your kids, talk to them and really listen to what they say. As for bad parents they have too many traits to list but one of my least favorites is the parent who wants to be their child's friend instead of being the parent.

Loyalntrue

I agree with you JohnQ, I think that is a grave detriment to parents today. They are too concerned with receiving their children's approval. If you are a living testament to the values you proclaim and you have a deep love for your children then you have done well.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As for bad parents they have too many traits to list but one of my least favorites is the parent who wants to be their child's friend instead of being the parent.
That is just an oustanding post . I could not agree more . My father and I did everything together , we were close but he remained a parent the entire time .

alice30

parents

I hope I am being a good parent. My children are my world and everything I do in this world is for them and their future. I would never make a decision that would harm them. That being said I also think it is important to properly discipline children. My heart breaks because I can't spend as much time as I would like with them because I work and go to school. But I remind myself when I graduate then I will have a good job and health insurance. That is why i am an A student. Because they depend on me and I am responsible for them. My love for them is greater and bigger than anything else in this world.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I hope I am being a good parent. My children are my world and everything I do in this world is for them and their future. I would never make a decision that would harm them. That being said I also think it is important to properly discipline children. My heart breaks because I can't spend as much time as I would like with them because I work and go to school. But I remind myself when I graduate then I will have a good job and health insurance. That is why i am an A student. Because they depend on me and I am responsible for them. My love for them is greater and bigger than anything else in this world.
You may not get to see them much now but it will all work out in the long run . Just think of the better life you will be creating for them after you graduate from school .