What would you like to see changed or improved in Masonry?

cemab4y

I am NOT interested in changing MASONRY. I am however very interested in seeing some changes in the Masonic experience. What would you like to see changed or improved in the Masonic experience? Therbiquitoe are many changes being forced upon the Craft (and the appendant/concordant bodies). How can we best handle and cope with the changes? One of the biggest, is the expanding and ubiquitous use of the internet. Print newsletters are expensive and obsolete. Lodges are going to be using electronic newsletters.

If you are 100% satisfied with Masonry, and you are convinced that everything is just fine, and no changes are necessary, this discussion is not for you.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Masonry is something different to each brother and can change with each lodge Master. I know several men who have left my lodge because of some disagreement with the Master or simply boredom at the meetings. Several of these men have confided in me that they would like to return when I assume the chair.

Most people point to our outdated language, tongue-twisting ritual and the formality of our meetings as places to change. Many don't realize that our ritual has changed several times over the years. I have a ritual book that was discovered in one of the closets that has some very different language from the current cipher and it's only about 50 years old. If we want it to happen, the language can change and has.

I intend to change Masonry in my lodge. Not the ritual or lessons, but the experience of the lodge meeting and the opportunities we have for brotherhood. My lodge meets twice a month. The first meeting is our Stated Communication during which we have our business meeting. Our second meeting is only for Ritual. I intend to implement a "Masonic Minute" at each of our Stated Communications. I will be assigning brothers to present a one to five minute talk, poem, or something else in Masonry that inspires them. I've already arranged for the Grand Historian to come to my lodge to present a talk called, "Anti-Masons: Where did they get all those crazy ideas about us?" and have other plans for Masonic education. My goal is to bring Masonry back to our meetings. While I'm in the East, the lodge will be very different from what we have done in the past.

On the other hand, if these plans find the sidelines emptying, I will drop them and try something else.

I believe we, like all organisms, are in a state of constant evolution. Masonry follows "Punctuated Evolution" where change builds up over time and happens in short spurts. These are the times when our rituals change. Each of us can stimulate that change by being willing to lead it. No Master in his right mind would turn away a brother who offers to present a short talk during a boring business meeting. Claudy's Old Tyler's Tales are a great place to start. You can be the source of that spurt of evolution that makes Masonry even better.

cemab4y

Your post has "made my day". I certainly wish you well, your quest is truly a laudable one.

I keep stressing to people, that Masonry is a "work in progress". Each generation can contribute, polish, modernize.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Windrider, I agree I would like to see more Masonry.
A Master's charge includes "the reading of the constitution in Lodge", when was the last time that happened?

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Windrider, I agree I would like to see more Masonry.
A Master's charge includes "the reading of the constitution in Lodge", when was the last time that happened?
Actually, I have the Grand Constitutions, lodge bylaws and and Protocol Manual on my tablet which I take with me during our meetings. I read a portion of the Grand Constitutions in lodge once and was never asked to again even when I reminded the Master that I have them. I intend to start with the potions I find most interesting: the rules for visitation, the powers of the Grand Master, stuff that might surprise those who have not studied them. Unfortunately, I will quickly run out of the fun stuff and be obliged to dive into the truly boring parts.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I am NOT interested in changing MASONRY. I am however very interested in seeing some changes in the Masonic experience. What would you like to see changed or improved in the Masonic experience? Therbiquitoe are many changes being forced upon the Craft (and the appendant/concordant bodies). How can we best handle and cope with the changes? One of the biggest, is the expanding and ubiquitous use of the internet. Print newsletters are expensive and obsolete. Lodges are going to be using electronic newsletters.

If you are 100% satisfied with Masonry, and you are convinced that everything is just fine, and no changes are necessary, this discussion is not for you.
Masonry is a practice. To change the "experience" of Masonry, you must change what and/or how it's practiced. Once you change what or how it is practiced, you change it. You cannot claim to be not interested in changing Masonry and also claim interest in changing its practice; this is antagonistic and they show two different directions. In other words, you present inconsistent and unsupportive statements. You cannot do one without doing the other. Once you claim that changes to Masonry's practice would or could make it better, you are advocating change to Masonry.

cemab4y

I should have made myself clear. I am NOT interested in changing the lectures, degree ceremonies, ancient landmarks,etc. Not at all. I am however, more than glad to hatch ideas, and discuss subjects like:

-online dues collection (Pennsylvania already does this)
-More use of electronic media, masonic internet websites, etc.
-Working more closely with newly made Masons.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I should have made myself clear. I am NOT interested in changing the lectures, degree ceremonies, ancient landmarks,etc. Not at all. I am however, more than glad to hatch ideas, and discuss subjects like:

-online dues collection (Pennsylvania already does this) -- NOT MASONRY
-More use of electronic media, masonic internet websites, etc. -- NOT MASONRY
-Working more closely with newly made Masons. -- NOT CHANGING MASONRY, just how MASONRY is APPLIED
Then you are not asking the proper question in your title of this thread for NOTHING that you just listed is Changing Masonry. It is recommending changes in the operation of the Freemasonic organization.

You've shared this same original post in other forums, cut and pasted several of your responses to resistive posts in at least two other forums and had your threads locked in these forums due to the push back posts that replied to yours. In those threads you made effort to do as you have here and found tremendous opposition to your claims and information.

Do you honestly think that this thread is going to go any differently?

cemab4y

My definition of "change" is somewhat "elastic", some people get hung up on titles. I would like to hatch and massage ideas, that is all. If I see something that needs change, we should discuss it.

As to whether this thread will go differently, I honestly do not know. I know about the past, and some about the present. As to the future, it is "que sera sera".

Again, when I use the term "masonry" , I am looking at the masonic "universe", including the appendant bodies, and the youth groups. I like to take a "holistic" approach. It is amazing to me, how many people are opposed to ANY change, even in something as innocuous as being able to pay dues on-line.
So many Masons, are convinced that everything is fine, and no change of any kind is needed now, nor in the future.

I have absolutely no interest in all, in changing the degrees, lectures, ancient landmarks, rituals, etc. These are excellent, and have served us well. In fact, this is what attracted me (along with other factors) to the organization.

If we can keep it civil, then carry on.

cemab4y

I just heard a broadcast about the interstate highway system. The Germans (Nazis) invented the idea of super-roads. When the American army occupied Germany, General Eisenhower saw the roads. He immediately recognized the defense and military potential of these roads. When he became president, he initiated the National Interstate and Defense Highway act. The system that we enjoy today, is a direct result of copying an idea from another source, and bringing it in.

We have 51 Grand Lodges, not including Prince Hall, in the USA. This is terrific, because we have 51+ "laboratories", where ideas can be tried on a smaller scale, and then if successful, copied and transferred to other Grand Lodges. Massachusetts pioneered state-wide open houses. Maryland picked up the idea, and I believe New Mexico has a similar program (I may be wrong about New Mexico).

CoachN

Builder Builder
I just heard a broadcast about the interstate highway system. The Germans (Nazis) invented the idea of super-roads. When the American army occupied Germany, General Eisenhower saw the roads. He immediately recognized the defense and military potential of these roads. When he became president, he initiated the National Interstate and Defense Highway act. The system that we enjoy today, is a direct result of copying an idea from another source, and bringing it in.

We have 51 Grand Lodges, not including Prince Hall, in the USA. This is terrific, because we have 51+ "laboratories", where ideas can be tried on a smaller scale, and then if successful, copied and transferred to other Grand Lodges. Massachusetts pioneered state-wide open houses. Maryland picked up the idea, and I believe New Mexico has a similar program (I may be wrong about New Mexico).
Freemasonic GLs can't even develop there own members toward Mastery; you want these undeveloped Apprentices to enter these laboratory and to experiment? How about fulfilling the purpose first?! Make these Good men Better!

cemab4y

Let's try to keep it civil, and not have this discussion closed down. I, too am unimpressed with how we leave new Masons "Adrift", with no guidance. I would love for Masonic lodges to work closely with new Masons, and instruct them in the history and ritualism of our craft. Lodges should have libraries, and provide new Masons with books, so that they can study on the Craft. I have visited lodges from New Hampshire to Arizona, and I have seen only a couple of lodges with libraries, for Masons to check out books.

The GL of North Carolina has an on-line training program for new Masons, where they can study the history of the GL of NC, and study up on other Masonic topics, and masonic etiquette. This is great! And maybe other states can emulate this.

You are taking my "laboratory" comment incorrectly and out of context. I am saying that with 51+ Grand Lodges in the USA and Canada, there are 51+ "laboratories" where different ideas and concepts can be tried on a small scale, and then if successful, these ideas can be picked up by other Grand Lodges. Example: The Grand Lodge of Mass pioneered the statewide "open house". The GL of Maryland picked up on the idea, and it has proved a success there too!

"You can always tell a pioneer, they have arrows in their backs"- unknown

I am not suggesting that "undeveloped Apprentices" enter laboratories and experiment. Not at all.

Freemasonry can "multi-task". We can train and develop our new members, and make their Masonic experience more meaningful. AND we can perform other tasks, and reach out to the community.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...We can train and develop our new members, and make their Masonic experience more meaningful.
Yup, we can, but until we actually DO train and develop all our members -- new and old, distracting them with other things before this is done shall continually keep our members wallowing in mediocrity.

...AND we can perform other tasks, and reach out to the community.
Yup, but only AFTER we COMPLETE the foundational WORK of developing our members.

cemab4y

Most of our charitable and humanitarian activities are carried out by the appendant/concordant bodies. This is exactly as it should be. The appendants can "focus" on one (sometimes more) activities.

Nevertheless, The craft lodges are able to "develop" members of course. I am unimpressed with what I have seen in my 30+ years of Masonry.

Developing Masons is an on-going task. New men are (or at least should be) joining the Craft, and all of them need careful instruction. This is where self-study (including on-line courses) can be a real help. We can even reach out to some of us old "coots" as well.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Well, my lodge has online credit card processing and it works great. http://www.ancientyorklodge.com

We also have instituted other "innovations". My absolute favorite is the simple fact that when we have degree work to do we have two meetings each month. Our Stated Communication is in the bylaws and happens on the second Thursday. We have Special Communications on the fourth Thursday to only do degree work. We open both meetings at 7:00PM so working people can actually make it.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I care less about the amount of men in Masonry, than the amount of Masonry in men!

[paraphrased from 2008 MWGM Reverend David Cash, AF&AM of NC]

cemab4y

I care less about the amount of men in Masonry, than the amount of Masonry in men!

[paraphrased from 2008 MWGM Reverend David Cash, AF&AM of NC]
I also care about the impact (amount,if you like) of masonry in men.

But we should also care about the huge loss of membership, nationally

If lodges continue to close, and less opportunities are avalable to take the degrees, then membership will spiral down in a 'vicious cycle'

Read this and weep:

STATE 2012 MEMBERSHIP 2013 MEMBERSHIP GAIN/(LOSS)
ALABAMA 27,654 25,885 (1,769)
ALASKA 1,820 1,797 (23)
ARIZONA 8,000 7,812 (188)
ARKANSAS 13,042 12,301 (741)
CALIFORNIA 63,546 55,893 (7,653)
COLORADO 8,885 9,311 426
CONNECTICUT 11,778 10,576 (1,202)
DELAWARE 4,910 4,843 (67)
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 4,438 4,091 (347)
FLORIDA 42,959 41,134 (1,825)
GEORGIA 41,255 40,750 (505)
HAWAII 1,778 1,787 9
IDAHO* 3,670 3,567 (103)
ILLINOIS 65,781 64,705 (1,076)
INDIANA 60,449 58,363 (2,086)
IOWA 20,203 19,338 (865)
KANSAS 21,225 20,176 (1,049)
KENTUCKY 43,658 42,019 (1,639)
LOUISIANA 20,404 19,431 (973)
MAINE 19,860 18,573 (1,287)
MARYLAND 16,146 15,429 (717)
MASSACHUSETTS 33,048 30,861 (2,187)
MICHIGAN 34,686 32,997 (1,689)
MINNESOTA 13,587 13,062 (525)
MISSISSIPPI 18,063 17,565 (498)
MISSOURI 45,850 42,274 (3,576)
MONTANA* 5,565 5,401 (164)
NEBRASKA 11,895 11,405 (490)
NEVADA 4,163 4,085 (78)
NEW HAMPSHIRE* 6,497 6,097 (400)
NEW JERSEY 22,523 22,514 (9)
NEW MEXICO 5,389 4,669 (720)
NEW YORK 42,669 41,305 (1,364)
NORTH CAROLINA 43,112 42,296 (816)
NORTH DAKOTA 2,876 2,885 9
OHIO 94,867 91,040 (3,827)
OKLAHOMA 23,842 22,622 (1,220)
OREGON 8,946 8,648 (298)
PENNSYLVANIA 108,758 107,731 (1,027)
RHODE ISLAND 3,573 3,444 (129)
SOUTH CAROLINA* 37,810 36,689 (1,121)
SOUTH DAKOTA* 5,471 5,654 183
TENNESSEE* 40,926 39,943 (983)
TEXAS 93,188 81,340 (11,848)
UTAH 2,057 2,081 24
VERMONT 5,855 5,708 (147)
VIRGINIA 37,177 36,335 (842)
WASHINGTON 15,450 14,774 (676)
WEST VIRGINIA 20,808 20,251 (557)
WISCONSIN 11,742 11,367 (375)
WYOMING 3,579 3,417 (162)
TOTALS 1,305,433 1,246,241 (59,192)
*Revised 2012 figures
=========================

This data is provided by the MSANA , I take no responsibility for accuracy.

How can masons see this data, and not beleive there is a problem?

CoachN

Builder Builder
...But we should also care about the huge loss of membership, nationally
If lodges continue to close, and less opportunities are avalable to take the degrees, then membership will spiral down in a 'vicious cycle'
...How can masons see this data, and not beleive there is a problem?
Masonry is not about taking Degrees. Taking Degrees only elevates a man within the organization. Masonry is about making good men better. Currently there are not large scale efforts to make that a reality for the membership of most freemasonic bodies.

I believe we have much bigger problems than losing members. That is a symptom. The cause is ignorance and all that it breeds. The cycle is already vicious...

cemab4y

Sadly, I agree with you about the fact that there are NOT large scale efforts to make the reality you speak of.

I disagree, what is bigger than hemorraghing members? One man told me he did not like the "flood gates" being open in Masonry (He was speaking of the decline in admission standards).

I told him that the flood gates are indeed open, but the direction is OUT not in!