When Is A Man A Mason?

TrowelTalk

In his poem, "When is a Man a Mason?" the Rev. Joseph Fort Newton captured the essence of what it means to be a Freemason:

"When he can look out over the rivers, the hills, and the far horizon with a profound sense of his own littleness in the vast scheme of things, and yet have faith, hope, and courage-which is the root of every virtue. When he knows that down in his heart every man is as noble, as vile, as divine, as diabolic, and as lonely as himself, and seeks to know, to forgive, and to love his fellowman. When he knows how to sympathize with men in their sorrows, yea, even in their sins-knowing that each man fights a hard fight against many odds. When he has learned how to make friends and to keep them, and above all how to keep friends with himself. When he loves flowers, can hunt birds without a gun, and feels the thrill of an old forgotten joy when he hears the laugh of a little child. When he can be happy and high-minded amid the meaner drudgeries of life. When star-crowned trees and the glint of sunlight on flowing waters subdue him like the thought of one much loved and long dead. When no voice of distress reaches his ears in vain, and no hand seeks his aid without response. When he finds good in every faith that helps any man to lay hold of divine things and sees majestic meanings in life, whatever the name of that faith may be. When he can look into a wayside puddle and see something beyond mud, and into the face of the most forlorn fellow mortal and see something beyond sin. When he knows how to pray, how to love, how to hope. When he has kept faith with himself, with his fellowman, and with his God; in his hands a sword for evil, in his heart a bit of a song-glad to live, but not afraid to die! Such a man has found the only real secret of Masonry, and the one which it is trying to give to all the world."

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
In response to the title of this thread:

In my life's journey I feel like I've always been seeking this experience called Freemasonry, The obligations, rituals, and knowledge are additive to my life filling in the gaps in my existence, connecting the odd pieces of my character and soul that were wandering around loose in my head and heart.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In response to the title of this thread:

In my life's journey I feel like I've always been seeking this experience called Freemasonry, The obligations, rituals, and knowledge are additive to my life filling in the gaps in my existence, connecting the odd pieces of my character and soul that were wandering around loose in my head and heart.
I would think the best man to petition a lodge would be the man who is already a Mason in his heart!

S&F

Duncan1574

When the desires in his heart become actions directed to Build a better man and eventually better men.
I hope I get to help mentor the new brothers coming into our Lodge. There are two that I am aware of, one is being initiated tomorrow night, the other is in the committee forming stage.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I hope I get to help mentor the new brothers coming into our Lodge. There are two that I am aware of, one is being initiated tomorrow night, the other is in the committee forming stage.
All I can say is: a Brother, who has since been raised, volunteered for and was given the duty to run our proficiency classes before he was made a Master Mason. If you want to become involved, Bro., volunteer!

Duncan1574

All I can say is: a Brother, who has since been raised, volunteered for and was given the duty to run our proficiency classes before he was made a Master Mason. If you want to become involved, Bro., volunteer!
At my Raising the WM "Put me to work", I am to delivery some amount of Ozaukee Lodge #17 history at each Lodge meeting. :)

Oh, I am also tasked with the Lodge's and the District's websites, calendars, etc.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
It may be melodramatic, but I've always believed the following. With a little help from Brother Rudyard Kipling;

If you can keep your head when all about you
are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
but make allowance for their doubting too;
if you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
and yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
if you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
if you can meet with triumph and disaster.
And treat those two impostors just the same;
if you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
and stoop and build them up with worn-out tools;

if you can make one heap of all your winnings
and risk it on one turn of pitch and toss,,
and lose, and start again at your beginnings
and never breathe a word about your loss;
if you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
to serve your turn long after they are gone,
and so hold on when there is nothing in you
except the will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
or walk with Kings – nor lose the common touch;
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
if all men count with you, but none too much;
if you can fill the unforgiving minute
with 60 seconds worth of distance run –
yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
and – which is more – you'll be a man, my son!

In my book, a man is a Mason when he can put his word on the line and have it mean everything. When a handshake is enough, when contracts become unnecessary, when he can look another man in the eye, and know that is all that he needs.

I know many men who are Masons who have never walked through the Western Gate, and the apron seems to be a mere formality. Those are men, I am proud to call my brothers, whether they have taken the oath or not.

Winter

I've been here before
I love the words about Masonry by Brother Newton. One of the reasons I wanted to get a discussion of The Builders going here.

I can't argue with the general consensus though that his work is sometimes wordy and heavy going. Especially for those not experienced with chewing through authors writing in a very formal style. But as this passage shows it still has words to move our hearts and give voice to the passion that moves within us, even if we can not articulate it as well ourselves.

Maybe now that I'm back I will revivie our FMH book club.

Duncan1574

I love the words about Masonry by Brother Newton. One of the reasons I wanted to get a discussion of The Builders going here.

I can't argue with the general consensus though that his work is sometimes wordy and heavy going. Especially for those not experienced with chewing through authors writing in a very formal style. But as this passage shows it still has words to move our hearts and give voice to the passion that moves within us, even if we can not articulate it as well ourselves.

Maybe now that I'm back I will revivie our FMH book club.
I'm in for the FMH book club.