MM Topic When would the Lodge become a superfluity?

G

Gary

Masons are aware of things that are or (temporarily) become superfluities. When would your activity in Lodge become a superfluity? or would it ever become such a thing? Even if it is a temporary thing?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I thought you were referring to the building itself, and well that ship has sailed for many a Lodge.

I believe that when it's interfering with you primary duties and/or you're using it as an excuse. If you are going to Lodge just to go and drink after, not partake in what being a Mason in a Tyled Lodge is supposed to be.

The hard part is for those officers who dedicated 7 years to the Lodge. Now that line becomes even finer.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Masons are aware of things that are or (temporarily) become superfluities. When would your activity in Lodge become a superfluity? or would it ever become such a thing? Even if it is a temporary thing?
Good question! If I had been playing enough attention for long enough to do all the parts of all the rituals, then I might have to add an appendent body dues card and start over. :)

Winter

I've been here before
I don't believe that my active participation in Lodge would ever become superfluous. Masonry isn't a club I belong to, it is a way of life. And my active participation in the Lodge is part of that life. Masonry, more than anything, is what keeps me grounded and the person I am.

Some Masons enjoy their membership but it means little to them and to miss a meeting, or many meetings, causes them no heartache. But to some of us, Masonry is what defines us and when we are unavoidably detained and unable to engage in Masonic activities we keenly feel that something is missing, as if we had suddenly lost an appendage and nothing will do but to seek out our Brother.

If we all make more of an effort to make Masons instead of members there would be many more Brothers who felt this way.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
i don't believe that my active participation in lodge would ever become superfluous. Masonry isn't a club i belong to, it is a way of life. And my active participation in the lodge is part of that life. Masonry, more than anything, is what keeps me grounded and the person i am.

Some masons enjoy their membership but it means little to them and to miss a meeting, or many meetings, causes them no heartache. But to some of us, masonry is what defines us and when we are unavoidably detained and unable to engage in masonic activities we keenly feel that something is missing, as if we had suddenly lost an appendage and nothing will do but to seek out our brother.

If we all make more of an effort to make masons instead of members there would be many more brothers who felt this way.
standing applause!

Craig

i don't believe that my active participation in lodge would ever become superfluous. Masonry isn't a club i belong to, it is a way of life. And my active participation in the lodge is part of that life. Masonry, more than anything, is what keeps me grounded and the person i am.

Some masons enjoy their membership but it means little to them and to miss a meeting, or many meetings, causes them no heartache. But to some of us, masonry is what defines us and when we are unavoidably detained and unable to engage in masonic activities we keenly feel that something is missing, as if we had suddenly lost an appendage and nothing will do but to seek out our brother.

If we all make more of an effort to make masons instead of members there would be many more brothers who felt this way.
Forget the thumbtacks, Winter NAILED IT! :)
Perfectly stated brother.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I don't believe that my active participation in Lodge would ever become superfluous. Masonry isn't a club I belong to, it is a way of life. And my active participation in the Lodge is part of that life. Masonry, more than anything, is what keeps me grounded and the person I am.

Some Masons enjoy their membership but it means little to them and to miss a meeting, or many meetings, causes them no heartache. But to some of us, Masonry is what defines us and when we are unavoidably detained and unable to engage in Masonic activities we keenly feel that something is missing, as if we had suddenly lost an appendage and nothing will do but to seek out our Brother.

If we all make more of an effort to make Masons instead of members there would be many more Brothers who felt this way.
Great question and Outstanding answer !

CoachN

Builder Builder
When would your activity in Lodge become a superfluity? or would it ever become such a thing? Even if it is a temporary thing?
1) When what I am engaged in is servicing a machine and not nurturing my soul and the soul of others.
2) No.
3) Never.

I will go a bit against the grain and say yes it could be a superfluity. And my reason for saying it is if you put more time into the Lodge or other masonic activities and it caused you to neglect your family or other obligations. If it was a choice of going to see my kids play a sports game or other activity and lodge.....sorry but the lodge is going to loose every time..... so I feel if I put my lodge or other masonic activities above my family it would be a superfluity.....

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
AH But you know the difference between what you need to choose. When it becomes the "need" to attend Lodge events over all other things would we be able to call it such. IMHO.

G

Gary

Good answers! I asked this question because lately, I've had several issues that have demanded my attention. During that time, Lodge became a luxury rather than a necessity. I simply couldn't fit attendance in Lodge into the schedule.

I did however feel very guilty, as I missed an EA degree during that time. I've only missed three Lodge meetings this year. It lead me to the question, as I've wondered how others viewed their activity in their Lodge, and it's level of priority in their life (even when feces hits the proverbial fan).

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Though Lodge IS important to us , there are other things that require our attention that are equally as (or more) important . Work and family comes to mind . Freemasonry should never get in the way of these two . And because a brother must miss a lodge meeting every once in a while should not look at Lodge as a superfluity , he has merely put his priorities in proper order .

G

Gary

Though Lodge IS important to us , there are other things that require our attention that are equally as (or more) important . Work and family comes to mind . Freemasonry should never get in the way of these two . And because a brother must miss a lodge meeting every once in a while should not look at Lodge as a superfluity , he has merely put his priorities in proper order .
AGREED! I don't see Lodge as a superfluity personally, but wanted to pose the question as some may view it that way.

Great discussion Brothers!

I do not consider it a superfluity either...... but if a Brother didnt keep the 24 in gauge in mind..... and put the lodge before his family, it could be considered one.....

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Another view...

When all people live by the rules of Friendship, Morality, and Brotherly Love...
When all are united, no matter what country, sect, or opinion...
When those long separated by a perpetual distance are conciliated by true friendship...
When there is only plain speaking and truth, and hypocrisy and deceit are unknown...
When those in need are cared for...
When there is no need to draw men to lessons of good with symbols drawing them to subconscious conclusions...
When allegory becomes unnecessary...
THEN the lodge will become superfluous.

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
AGREED! I don't see Lodge as a superfluity personally, but wanted to pose the question as some may view it that way.

Great discussion Brothers!
Oh , I did not think YOU thought it was a superfluity (I know better than that) , just throwing in my two pence .

But I agree , this is a great discussion .