Where to buy: swords and stuff

Terry S

I finished my Commandery degrees yesterday and almost immediately started shopping for swords and a Chappeau (did i say that right?).

I cant find the hats anywhere online so far. Any suggestions? Or do i need to buy it locally?

Are the ebay swords 'good enough' for what i'll need it for? Or are they chinese crap?

Is there regulations on the type/color/size sword i buy?

Before someone recommends it... i know i can use the swords that my commandery has but i prefer to purchase my own.

Is there any other uniform stuff i should look for? My first meeting isnt until the end of the month and im way too anxious to wait until then for the answers.

arcxjo

Goat Jockey
In addition to New London and LAFSCO mentioned above, I've had good experience dealing with Fratline several separate occasions.

I finished my Commandery degrees yesterday and almost immediately started shopping for swords and a Chappeau (did i say that right?).
It's "chapeau" (pronounced "sha-POE"). The plural is "chapeaux", which is actually pronounced the same in French, or like you'd expect "chapeaus" to sound in English.

Is there regulations on the type/color/size sword i buy?
Is there any other uniform stuff i should look for?
^^^ This. ^^^ Every Grand Commandery has its own little touches on the uniform, including the jacket, the sword, the chapeau, and the other accoutrements. Some have an extra cross or two, some have specific jewels others don't (for example, in PA we don't wear the Red Cross Jewel, which I went out and blew $15 on when I was in your position), some use a fancy belt while some use the plain black slings. You really should get your specs from your Commandery's Armorer or a seasoned Past Commander (or Division Commander) or at least check your GC constitution first, rather than go buy a bunch of stuff right away.

That aside, swords on eBay are about as good as what you'll find in an antique shoppe. I paid $110 on eBay for a Lilley sword from about the 1940s that's still in pretty good condition, but if you mean the ones that are sold for $50 new, I'd be wary of getting what you pay for there (plus, if you're spending money here, you'd probably want to match your GC Regulations, which I guarantee those swords won't). Are you planning on being an officer in your Commandery? If so, I'd really recommend using a loaner sword or an antique for now, then splurging for a new one from New London or such with your own name and initials engraved when you're Commander, since ECs and PCs are supposed to carry gold-accented swords versus the nickel-plated rank-and-file's swords.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
You've been given some very good advice here. I will add: KT Universal. They produce a chapeau which has an adjustable inner liner (as you would find in a hard hat) that is quite lovely and relatively inexpensive.

As far as swords go ... remember, you will not be using the sword as a weapon. The KT sword is a very masculine piece of jewelry. Therefore ... even the cheap swords 'will do'. Especially for your first 'sir knight' sword. If you are exalted to the rank of Commander, you may wish to invest in one of the truly fancy ones, with your name on it and all. I would not (and this is personal preference) wish to spend all that money on something I almost never use and so, even though I am a Past Commander, am currently satisfied to use an old commander's sword from our KT armory. Sure, it has someone else's name on it, but (in reality) nobody ever gets close enough to read the name and no one has ever commented on the fact that I'm using a sword that does not bear my name.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
(for example, in PA we don't wear the Red Cross Jewel, which I went out and blew $15 on when I was in your position)
LOLOL! You know, when I joined the Commandery here in Wisconsin, very, very few members wore the Red Cross, although the thinking was that you had earned the right to it if you wanted to wear it (and, of course, you had to buy it yourself). Now it is quite common to see that medal, in fact many Commanderies issue it to newly made Knights if the Red Cross. You may want to check and see if you can display your $15 investment!

That being said, I spent some money on a Canadian KT star that I started wearing on my uniform. Many members were confused. A few were even offended. Some said it was my right to wear it if I chose to, as long as I wore it 'in the correct position'. Then I showed up at Grand Commandery wearing it when we had distinguished guests from Grand Encampment. Now the GE boys wear what the Canadians and Brits call 'the Preceptor's star' and, well .... they were not amused that I, too, was wearing a star (even though mine was NOT a Preceptor's star). I was asked to remove it from my uniform. So it now resides in my jewelry box. *sigh* Perhaps one day I will feel like fighting that battle, but not today! ;)

Terry S

Awesome... lots of stuff for me to check out.

As far as patches and medals go, I am gonna wait till i get to my Commandery for those. Judging by the price of the Chapeau i may wait until i get close to an officer chair before purchasing. It may be the kid in me, but the sword is something i've been anticipating since i first learned about the York Rite. Even if it just goes on the wall with my certificates.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Awesome... lots of stuff for me to check out.

As far as patches and medals go, I am gonna wait till i get to my Commandery for those. Judging by the price of the Chapeau i may wait until i get close to an officer chair before purchasing. It may be the kid in me, but the sword is something i've been anticipating since i first learned about the York Rite. Even if it just goes on the wall with my certificates.
Terry, you may be able to get both from your local arsenal. I know, you want your *own* sword, but trust me ... there will be plenty of time for that. The fact is that you cannot wait to get a chapeau or sword. You'll need them right away. Getting old ones from the arsenal is the best way to go until you can afford to get yiour own.

Terry S

Terry, you may be able to get both from your local arsenal. I know, you want your *own* sword, but trust me ... there will be plenty of time for that. The fact is that you cannot wait to get a chapeau or sword. You'll need them right away. Getting old ones from the arsenal is the best way to go until you can afford to get yiour own.
Now im confused... :confused:

They told me i wouldnt need my own chapeau or sword unless i was in the officer chairs. Maybe i misunderstood them or there was some miscommunication.

...but now that i think about it, we were talking about the Chapter and Council and switched to Commandery mid-discussion. Maybe my brain didnt switch to Commandery as quickly as they did.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Now im confused... :confused:

They told me i wouldnt need my own chapeau or sword unless i was in the officer chairs. Maybe i misunderstood them or there was some miscommunication.

...but now that i think about it, we were talking about the Chapter and Council and switched to Commandery mid-discussion. Maybe my brain didnt switch to Commandery as quickly as they did.
What Patrick is saying is that most Commandery have a stock pile of uniforms , chapeaus and swords . Mine does , we have many uniforms and chapeaus moldering away in our store room because we do not wear them , we wear caps and mantles . And swords ? Boy we have a barrel full . I did not and will not buy a sword because I do not need to , I have many at my disposal .

Terry S

I spoke to the folks at my Commandery yesterday...

They said i dont need anything to just attend the meetings. They dont have any spare chappeaus or swords so i will be on my own getting that stuff but they told me i didnt need to worry about it any time soon.

Still shopping for a sword...