Where's best to store eggs?

sukie

I bought some eggs today and on the package was written "keep chilled" but I used to keep them in the fridge until cookery and nutrition experts said that they were best kept at room temperature. Which is correct?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I wouldn't have them setting out for a week or two . They are after all , kept chilled at the grocery store and going from cold to room temp would make them go bad more quickly .

Back when I still lived on our farm , we gathered frsh eggs every morning . We left them out until other family members picked up what the wanted of them and put the rest in the fridge .

Tom

I never knew you could leave eggs out at all until I was watching my wife bake. She said she learned from her grandma. I doubted her until now thanks. But if it says keep chilled I would refrigerate them.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Back when I still lived on our farm , we gathered frsh eggs every morning . We left them out until other family members picked up what the wanted of them and put the rest in the fridge .
I used to get eggs fresh from a lady at work. Two dozen for a few dollars. A lot cheaper then the grocery store. Until my wife got two bad eggs in a dozen and she said no more. Strangely she wants chickens for the eggs if we ever get some property.

sukie

I'm still unsure but I may just go back to keeping them in the fridge. I have to agree that eggs straight from the hen are delicious. We used to keep chickens and there is no taste like it. Unfortunately we aren't allowed to do so where we now live.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I used to get eggs fresh from a lady at work. Two dozen for a few dollars. A lot cheaper then the grocery store. Until my wife got two bad eggs in a dozen and she said no more. Strangely she wants chickens for the eggs if we ever get some property.
When we used Fresh eggs from our hens , when ever we went to eat them we always craked them in a seperate bowl before they went into the pan or recipe mix , so if it was bad then you could just dump it in the trash . You could be mixing a bowl full for scabbled eggs or cake mix or what have you and crack one into the mix that had blood/baby chick in it or is just rotten and it would be a waste to the entire batch .

But to be honest , I would keep them in the fridge . It does not take long for eggs to go bad . We used to leave a few dozen out around Halloween so they would stink when we went egging . I know , that was mean , but boys will be boys .