Why don't UFO's make sonic booms

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
have you ever heard a sonic boom from a bullet???? lmao, well, they are just so well designed, they slip past the sonic barrier, and never really let them know it...... makes it easier to land in the backyards of unsuspecting "locals" for abduction..... If they made a noise, they'd wake up the bloodhounds at night!!
Actually, most of the noise from a gunshot is the sonic boom, that is why many PD rounds are SS (subsonic)

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Actually, most of the noise from a gunshot is the sonic boom, that is why many PD rounds are SS (subsonic)
I'd have to disagree with you there. The sound that you hear is the explosion of the propellant contained within the chamber of the gun only. The bullet traveling at say 1100 fps is well above the sound barrier, but without propulsion, there is no noise associated with it, and with the small size and aerodynamics does not displace enough air to create the "boom" you would associate with it. I'm just using my memory here, but I believe that the speed of sound is 760 fps

Disagreed for discussion only, maybe I am off base here ;)

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I'd have to disagree with you there. The sound that you hear is the explosion of the propellant contained within the chamber of the gun only. The bullet traveling at say 1100 fps is well above the sound barrier, but without propulsion, there is no noise associated with it, and with the small size and aerodynamics does not displace enough air to create the "boom" you would associate with it. I'm just using my memory here, but I believe that the speed of sound is 760 fps

Disagreed for discussion only, maybe I am off base here ;)
The 'crack' as the bullet passes by your ear is the sonic boom of the round.

Sonic boom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
The 'crack' as the bullet passes by your ear is the sonic boom of the round.

Sonic boom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm not entirely sure I believe but Duncan is right. Had a Scout Sniper talk to me about that once... waiting for the crack and counting time from something else could help determine enemy sniper fire..

The aliens know our snipers are trained to pick it up so the fly just under sonic...