Why York Rite?

goomba

Brethren, I will be raised in Sept. and am leaning towards the York Rite now over the Scottish Rite, Shrine, Grotto, etc. I was wondering few things:

1. What made you choose the York Rite?
2. How long did you wait before joining?
3. Did any stop at either the Chapter or Council and not go the the Commandery? If so why?

Thank you for your help and insight.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I must ask you why you feel the need to add another Masonic group? You haven't even been Raised and you are looking for more when you don't truly knon what sitting in your Craft Lodge is all about?
I admit when I was on my path to MM, I looked at the other groups, I have old friends in most of them, but then I looked at my Craft Lodge and its needs, declining attendance, and choose to not add another group. That might change someday, but for the foreseeable future, my Craft Lodge is my focus.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I agree with Duncan. You don't even know what it's like to be a Master Mason, and you are already headed down a road that will likely be fruitless. Give yourself a year before you decide to join another group. I'm not sure why you joined Freemasonry, but if it was to learn, you need to give yourself the opportunity to do so. Titles, and dues cards are worthless.

goomba

If you recall my other post I plan on waiting 6 months to a year before petitioning. I would like information from experienced brethren to help make my decision.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I joined my Craft Lodge because my father is and grandfather was a member. I had Brothers pushing YR, SR & Shrine petitions at me every meeting, I kept telling them no. I waited 10 years before joining York Rite which my father is a member, and then joined Shrine later that same year. I get so much more out of my Lodge because I am much more active in it and find it exciting and still mysterious to this day.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
If you recall my other post I plan on waiting 6 months to a year before petitioning. I would like information from experienced brethren to help make my decision.
Obviously I didn't recall your other post, or I wouldn't have made the comment. I belong to an appendant myself, so I would consider myself somewhat experienced in the matter.

Brother,
Looking at your post here without knowledge of your prior statement, it would appear that you were considering jumping from the frying pan in to the fire. I was merely offering words of caution. Other Brother's have offered you the same advice as I have. Why not wait, learn and become active in your Lodge. If the YR is for you after doing that, you won't need any of us to offer you advice because you will have a solid foundation in which to build your Masonic career. Remember opinions are like anal sphincter's. everyone has one. Good luck in your endeavor.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Interesting post. I have no plans to join any other bodies and interestingly, my coach even cautioned me against it for the same reasons listed here.

He belongs to more groups than I even knew existed, but he was active on the state level, so that went with the territory.

I am still curious though- assuming it's years later, after our brother has been raised- how would you answer his original questions?

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Interesting post. I have no plans to join any other bodies and interestingly, my coach even cautioned me against it for the same reasons listed here.

He belongs to more groups than I even knew existed, but he was active on the state level, so that went with the territory.

I am still curious though- assuming it's years later, after our brother has been raised- how would you answer his original questions?
For the sake of conversation, I'll bite, and respond as if I were a YR Mason;

1. What made you choose the York Rite? It appealed to me, allowed me to learn about the similarities in allegory, and share with like minded brethren.
2. How long did you wait before joining? I waited until I had completed the Work of an EA, FC, and MM, not just merely obtaining the degrees, and thinking you are actually entitled to anything. (See my signature)
3. Did any stop at either the Chapter or Council and not go the the Commandery? If so why? Stopping at Chapter or Council, and not going on to Commandry may be due to religious restrictions, or personal choice.

goomba

I was just trying to get a conversation going. I looked on the board for a few days in a row and say nothing.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I was just trying to get a conversation going. I looked on the board for a few days in a row and say nothing.
I hope my comments weren't offensive. That was not my intention. I think we are just excited to see an up and coming MM, and care enough to impress upon you the wealth of knowledge that can be had in the BL, if you just take the time to look before making another commitment to something else. At this stage (or maybe even in a year) it could be a distraction that may tarnish your overall experience with the the fraternity. I'm not saying not to join YR, or any other body. I'm just asking that you let the lessons learned and experiences in BL be your guide in your decision for your path. Remember your EA degree. It's all about building a solid foundation first. ;)

goomba

I didn't just wake up one day and say hey I want to be a Mason. My father, grandfathers, various uncles, etc., have been Mason's my whole life. I am 28, not old by any stretch but 7 years past my states minimum age. I took time and researched the Lodge and finally made my decision. I love the Lodge and wish I had done is when I turned 21. Because I didn't know I will never set in Lodge with one of my grandfathers. One of the reasons it took me so long to join was the lack of information. No one would talk about it. Now being a Mason I am even more confused by the lack of responses I got from my family. They are excited I am a Mason and told me they thought I would never ask. In order for people to ask they have to know a few things. Like here is a big one "why are you a Mason daddy?" followed by "I can't talk about the Lodge." This is a common thing among children of Mason's. Now I know they could not have asked me to join, but come on we can talk about the Craft people.

I said that to say this. I want information why my Brother choose a body I am interested in. Not because I want not enjoy the Blue Lodge and go elsewhere. The said thing about a lot of men (me included) is when asked a question and want an answer to that question and don't really care for any additional information. Then when we get the information we don't realize the man giving it to us is trying to guide us, assist us, and show love. Gary, I was PO'ed at first, because I was thinking "would it kill you to just answer the question", but I took it wrong and good now. I know there is tons to learn, I want to be JD next year and began going through the chairs. I have been reading books about Freemasonry and have enjoyed them. I don't want any other Masonic organization to be my Masonic home. That's what Ware Lodge No. 435.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I was concerned that you, like me, are a zealot. I can tell that you are a passionate, involved, and thoughtful person and impulsive as well again like I am. When I became a Mason and started down the path to my MM, I had thoughts of joining other groups, as I said earlier I have friends in most of them. After soul searching, defining my available time, and doing a budget, I have determined that Craft Lodge is enough for the foreseeable future.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
I'm a huge history nut and the York Rite has a very fascinating history. Plus being a Christian I wanted to join the Knights Templar.

I waited over 2-years from when I was raised before joining the York Rite. I wanted to learn as much work in the Blue Lodge as I could mostly due to the fact that my Grand Lodge requires for one to become Worshipful Master one has to know nearly all of the ceremonies by heart.

3. Did any stop at either the Chapter or Council and not go the the Commandery? If so why?
I went all the way through, but I am still moving up the line in the Commandery while I have already presided over the Chapter and I'm currently presiding over the Council.

Here is a shameless plug, but my blog that I have in my signature block goes over a lot of York Rite information.

2SONDAD

I was concerned that you, like me, are a zealot. I can tell that you are a passionate, involved, and thoughtful person and impulsive as well again like I am. When I became a Mason and started down the path to my MM, I had thoughts of joining other groups, as I said earlier I have friends in most of them. After soul searching, defining my available time, and doing a budget, I have determined that Craft Lodge is enough for the foreseeable future.
Gotta 'like' the 'zealot' comment. I have become passionate, yet at this point still uninvolved to the degree I want to be- at the Craft level. Scheduling and family illnesses have kept me from doing my FC long form proficiency- but I'm ready to move on, to learn more and do more. I realized early on that you can learn a tremendous amount, and stay a Master Mason. I may feel differently one day but I really want to 'master' being a mason, before thinking about other organizations.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Brethren, I will be raised in Sept. and am leaning towards the York Rite now over the Scottish Rite, Shrine, Grotto, etc. I was wondering few things:

Brothers in YR told me it would complete the journey started in the Craft Lodge.
Maybe...

12 or 14 years. There's a LOT of wisdom to experience in the Craft Lodge.

The only Brother I have heard of locally who didn't continue to Commandry was a Jewish Brother, who incidentally was the only member of my lodge to serve the Craft as Grand Master in our jurisdiction.

S&F

FreeMasonPride

I am a 5th generation Freemason but the first to join the York Rite. I knew I wanted to be a York Rite Mason shortly after I became a Freemason. Mainly due to my research on the internet, but also because of the other York Rite Masons in my lodge. I absolutely loved the initiation process of the York Rite! Everything about it, from beginning to end. I am also a Scottish Rite Freemason, and I am very glad I did that as well, but if you are choosing between the two....York Rite!

2SONDAD

I have officially went through the degrees and orders of the York Rite.
It's been more than a year since I posted that I was waiting, it's been more than a year since I was raised and 2 things have happened The timing and circumstances aligned and I will be joining SR in 2 weeks. I will wait longer for YR, after I feel the timing and circumstances are right to join- I want and need to feel it in my heart- just as I needed to when I joined the Craft. As I posted elsewhere, it looks like I am also joining the line, so time will become more precious.

If and when I do join YR, I don't think I would go past Chapter. I know I won't be joining the Commandery- I don't qualify.

Happy for you Goomba, it's clear you felt this in your heart, just as I did petitioning SR.