Working Tools of an Entered Apprentice (Emulation)

Winter

I've been here before
When a Freemason is initiated, at the ceremony he is directed to a presentation of the working tools of the first degree. The tools he is shown are the 24-inch gauge, the common gavel, and the chisel.

The 24-inch Gauge
The 24-inch gauge in operative terms, is a measuring device, but to a Freemason it represents the 24 hours of the day. Part of this day is to be spent in prayer to Almighty God, part in labour and refreshment, and part in serving a friend or Brother in time of need, without detriment to themselves or connections. The 24-inch gauge is therefore an indication of how a Mason should spend his day.

The Common Gavel
A type of hammer, the common gavel prepares stone for the hands of craftsmen. In Masonic terms however, it represents the force of conscience, and is symbolically used to keep down all vain and unbecoming thoughts during their daily lives. The common gavel can be seen as a hammer to vanity, and bad thoughts and feelings.

The Chisel
The chisel represents education, and in Masonic symbolism it illustrates the advantages of education in a civilised society. Thus, the new Mason is encouraged to pursue a good education so that he can take his place in a regularly organised society.

These three working tools are the major symbols a new Mason is shown at his initiation. The first, the 24-inch gauge, shows how a Mason should spend his day. The second, the common gavel, indicates that bad thoughts and feelings are unproductive, and the third, the chisel, encourages Masons to continue the process of education.

To outsiders, the working tools of an Entered Apprentice seem just like ordinary tools, but to a Mason, they are symbols used to direct his attention to a code of conduct and a set of ethics.

Source:
Emulation Lodge of Improvement (Lewis Masonic Publishers; 8th ed. 1986)

Read more at Suite101: English Freemasonry: The Working Tools of an Entered Apprentice | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/english-freemasonry-the-working-tools-of-an-entered-apprentice-a323649#ixzz1yaQEigV4

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I often wondered how operative Masons in ancient times were supposed to work stone without a chisel :cool: Our ritual doesn't present that tool.

See, I came here after all.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I often wondered how operative Masons in ancient times were supposed to work stone without a chisel :cool: Our ritual doesn't present that tool.

Masters lay out their work for the FC's to complete. I can see why the chisel may be omitted. Now you have me curious as to what tools your jurisdiction recognizes. Lol

Btw- I had a feeling that you would. ;-)

Winter

I've been here before

You just keep licking the stone till it is the correct shape, I guess. LoL.

I have never found a satisfactory answer as to why the American Rite removed some of the Working Tools. (chisel, skirret and pencil)

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
You just keep licking the stone till it is the correct shape, I guess. LoL.

I have never found a satisfactory answer as to why the American Rite removed some of the Working Tools. (chisel, skirret and pencil)
Thanks- i just spit my dinner all over my phone... That was hilarious!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Interestingly, the common gavel in my jurisdiction has a chiseled edge on one end of the mallet.
The common gavel has a gable on one end and a flat surface on another. The typical WM in my district uses a mallet style gavel rather then common gavel. But that could be like splitting hairs, especially when the third degree uses a setting maul, even though that tool is not mentioned anywhere else that I can currently think of.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The common gavel has a gable on one end and a flat surface on another. The typical WM in my district uses a mallet style gavel rather then common gavel. But that could be like splitting hairs, especially when the third degree uses a setting maul, even though that tool is not mentioned anywhere else that I can currently think of.
That is because the setting maul is "E V I L". :cool:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Gable... That was the word I was looking for. Thanks. I was referring to the tool used described during the instructional portion.

Many of our WMs use a setting maul for a gavel during meetings too. Spliting hairs maybe, but the differences are interesting none the less.

CoachN

Builder Builder
...I have never found a satisfactory answer as to why the American Rite removed some of the Working Tools. (chisel, skirret and pencil)
Iteresting. Were they removed from American Rite or was the Ritual merely originated elsewhere?

Winter

I've been here before
Iteresting. Were they removed from American Rite or was the Ritual merely originated elsewhere?
My own curiosity on the matter has led me to do some digging into the matter recently. And the more I dig, the more I realize how much we don't know today about the early history of the rituals we use. I am working on a post right now on some of the gems I have found and will post it momentarily.

Suffice it to say, I no longer believe the working tools found in the European Rites that are not found in the American Rites were removed. I believe they were never there since the two rituals have different lineages.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
My own curiosity on the matter has led me to do some digging into the matter recently. And the more I dig, the more I realize how much we don't know today about the early history of the rituals we use. I am working on a post right now on some of the gems I have found and will post it momentarily.

Suffice it to say, I no longer believe the working tools found in the European Rites that are not found in the American Rites were removed. I believe they were never there since the two rituals have different lineages.
That's a fascinating theory. I'm sure that you can prove it with a little more digging. I really enjoy learning about the differences, and how they came to be. Thanks for sharing your curiosity with us. I for one am looking forward to learning more about this!

CoachN

Builder Builder

I have concluded the same. Two different rituals... yes, that I am finding may be at the core of the Antient/Modern schism or the result of an effort to upgrade and "modernize" the ritual of the day.

edwmax

I disagree that the chisel is a missing working tool in the American Rites. We call it the 'Common Gavel'. A hammer is a tool which is swung to strike an object. In most cases the Common Gavel of a Stone Mason IS NOT swung to strike the stone. The size and shape of the tool defines its intended use. Some chisels may or may not have a 'safety feature' called a 'handle'. ... I have wrote paper on the Missing Gavel and presented it 3 Xs in area Lodges. It can be downloaded here (pdf). http://caironet.com/mastermason/WorkingTools-TheChisel.pdf

I do agree that the (finishing) Chisel, Skirrit, Pencil, and Compasses were never in the American Rites. These tools require knowledge and skill to properly use and are the tools of Master Masons.

Winter

I've been here before
While I look forward to reading your paper (I am at work right now) I am curious if you think the common gavel in your understanding occupies the place of the chisel in the Emulation Rite.

edwmax

While I look forward to reading your paper (I am at work right now) I am curious if you think the common gavel in your understanding occupies the place of the chisel in the Emulation Rite.
In the Emulation Rite the Common Gavel and chisel are specifically mentioned in the same sentence.
… the common Gavel to knock off all superfluous knobs and excrescences, and the Chisel to further smooth and prepare the stone..." Both the common Gavel and Chisel are chisel instruments for cutting stone. The chisel here is specifically stated 'to further smooth' which is a more refined finishing Chisel for use by one with more skill.

This where modern Masons and public become confused with the term Gavel. The 'common gavel' of a stone mason IS NOT the same as a 'judiciary' style gavel (wooden hammer) used at club and Lodge meetings.