Working Tools of an Entered Apprentice (Emulation)

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
In the Emulation Rite the Common Gavel and chisel are specifically mentioned in the same sentence.
… the common Gavel to knock off all superfluous knobs and excrescences, and the Chisel to further smooth and prepare the stone..." Both the common Gavel and Chisel are chisel instruments for cutting stone. The chisel here is specifically stated 'to further smooth' which is a more refined finishing Chisel for use by one with more skill.

This where modern Masons and public become confused with the term Gavel. The 'common gavel' of a stone mason IS NOT the same as a 'judiciary' style gavel (wooden hammer) used at club and Lodge meetings.
The Common Gavel from the tool set at Ozaukee Lodge is flat on one side and tapered to an centered edge on the other an is tiny (being that it is symbolic that make sense)

edwmax

Like this ...

... And a modern 10 lb one, these very in size from small to large 'bull' slab slitters ...

The handle is not shown. However, you are welcome to hold it to the stone while your buddy swings a 10lb sledge hammer at it. ... I prefer using the safety feature of a handle. I don't trust those fellowcaft's aim.

Winter

I've been here before
I disagree that both are instruments for cutting stone. It seems to me that you are saying that both tools have the same purpose. The gavel is an instrument of force, representing the force of our conscious will over our base desires as we remove those natures harmful to us. The chisel in the Emultion Rite is a tool of refinement, after the rough work has been done by the gavel and represents education as we continually better ourselves.

edwmax

There is a difference between a 'gavel' and the stone mason's 'common gavel'. The difference between the 'common gavel' and a 'chisel' as stated in the Emulation Ritual is about the same as comparing an Ax to a razor. They both cut, but one very finely and the other more roughly.

Winter

I've been here before
There is a difference between a 'gavel' and the stone mason's 'common gavel'. The difference between the 'common gavel' and a 'chisel' as stated in the Emulation Ritual is about the same as comparing an Ax to a razor. They both cut, but one very finely and the other more roughly.
The judge's style gavel that we see most Masters wield does not come into play as that is not the gavel from our working tools. Even if that is the one most often displayed to candidates as they receive the degrees. But I still believe that it is incorrect to say that in Masonic terms the Gavel and Chisel occupy the same purpose. This completely overlooks the fact that one can only be used effectively after the other and that the American Rites do not have a working tool that instructs the Mason to seek out higher education. If they were, it would have been unnecessary for our esteemed Brethren to have had both in the rituals that contain the Chisel.

Winter

I've been here before
I disagree that the chisel is a missing working tool in the American Rites. We call it the 'Common Gavel'. A hammer is a tool which is swung to strike an object. In most cases the Common Gavel of a Stone Mason IS NOT swung to strike the stone. The size and shape of the tool defines its intended use. Some chisels may or may not have a 'safety feature' called a 'handle'. ... I have wrote paper on the Missing Gavel and presented it 3 Xs in area Lodges. It can be downloaded here (pdf). http://caironet.com/mastermason/WorkingTools-TheChisel.pdf
I do agree that the (finishing) Chisel, Skirrit, Pencil, and Compasses were never in the American Rites. These tools require knowledge and skill to properly use and are the tools of Master Masons.
Brother Ed, I finally got a chance to read your paper. You have an excellent theory and it was an interesting read.

I am curious about your division of working tools on page 1. You state that the six working tools of the American Rites are divided with the EA degree having the 24 inch gauge, Trowel, and Common Gavel and the FC degree having the Plum rule, Level, and Square. Is this the common division? My Lodge divided them with the EA degree having the 24 inch Gauge and the Common gavel. The FC degree had the Plumb rule, Square, and Level. And the MM degree had the Trowel.

Also, you incorrectly list the tools that are different in the Emulation Working as the Skirret, Pencil, and Compass in the MM degree. In actuality, they are the Chisel in the EA degree as well as the Skirret and Pencil in the MM degree. You are correct that the Compass is instead found in the MM degree instead of the Trowel as a working tool. so I guess it is more accurate to say that there are four working tools in the Emulation Working that are not in the American Workings since the Compasses are not a Working Tool per se in the rituals, but rather one of the TGL. The beauty of the assignment of the Working Tools in the Emulation Rite, to my mind, is that they follow the oft repeated symbolism of three x three that we see throughout Masonry, unlike the lopsided distribution in the american Rite.

On to the substance of your paper. You claim that the Chisel is indeed found in the American Working and is part of the Common gavel since it can perform the same role as a chisel. You are partly correct in that the Common gavel, what is most likely a walling hammer today, can perform the same functions as a chisel, especially in the hands of a skilled workman. But even a real stonenemason will tell you that you are not likely to get as smooth a finished stone with a walling hammer as you are with a hammer and chisel. A quick search showed multiple opinions that support my position.

http://thinking-stoneman.blogspot.com/2011/06/old-chisel-verses-walling-hammer.html

This fact combined with the fact that while the American Working does state that the Common gavel is used to divest ourselves of our vices so we are better a better fit in Heaven, it says nothing about the Mason making himself a better person in this life. In the Emulation Rite, the Chisel enjoins the new Mason to seek out more education for himself to make him a better person in this world. I believe you are trying to read the purpose of the Chisel into the description of the Common gavel in the American Rites when it is not actually there.

goomba

Going to give it the old college try:

When you are presented with your MM tools "I will now present you with the working tools of Master Mason, which are all the implements of Masonry indiscriminately, but more especially the Trowel" you then have in Alabama: 24in gauge, common gavel, plumb, square, level, and trowel. These 6 tools are named. But there is something else in that statement "all the implements of Masonry". It then becomes the MM's responsibility to acquire the tools needed to work. If you need a pencil, chisel, or any other implement put that in your Masonic toolbox. So to me any tool needed is included in the American Rite as practiced by Alabama because I am a MM and as an overseer of the work I can use any Masonic tool needed.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I could see doing a Lodge education about the differences with a Brother from an EmLodge and vice versa.
If Brother Winter was still up here in the frozen north of Wisconsin, he would be my pick for the job.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I could see doing a Lodge education about the differences with a Brother from an EmLodge and vice versa.
If Brother Winter was still up here in the frozen north of Wisconsin, he would be my pick for the job.
Yeah that would be nice. At least you got to meet him. He lives here now, but so far he has avoided meeting me. I'd team up with him for the lectures if he was so inclined.

goomba

Got me thinking, what are the working tools used by various lodges? I was hoping that everyone could list the ones used by their lodge. I'll start.

In Alabama:
EA: 24 inch gauge, and common gavel
FC: plumb, square, and level
MM: the trowel is mentioned but also all the implements of Masonry.

devlin

Laus Deo
Got me thinking, what are the working tools used by various lodges? I was hoping that everyone could list the ones used by their lodge. I'll start.

In Alabama:
EA: 24 inch gauge, and common gavel
FC: plumb, square, and level
MM: the trowel is mentioned but also all the implements of Masonry.
Ours are the same here in NH

edwmax

Brother Ed, I finally got a chance to read your paper. You have an excellent theory and it was an interesting read.

I am curious about your division of working tools on page 1. You state that the six working tools of the American Rites are divided with the EA degree having the 24 inch gauge, Trowel, and Common Gavel and the FC degree having the Plum rule, Level, and Square. Is this the common division? My Lodge divided them with the EA degree having the 24 inch Gauge and the Common gavel. The FC degree had the Plumb rule, Square, and Level. And the MM degree had the Trowel. …
I think you might be missing an important functional difference of the 6 tools pictured and therefore why the tools are divided between the EA and FC. These are operative tools given speculative allegorical uses.

Everyone knows there were only two divisions in the Degrees (early 1700 & before), the Entered Apprentice and the Fellow Craft while the Master was an exceptionally talented ‘Fellow of the Craft’ who was in charge of the works. But in fact, in the operative stone mason guilds there were Apprentice (helper), journeymen, and the Master (crew leader or owner). The Fellowcraft included both the journeymen and Master.

First, in order for an Entered Apprentice to become a Fellowcraft, he must learn how to use all 6 of the tool proficiently in operative masonry. Our speculative lecture only gives the first tools an operative Entered Apprentice begins learning to use, thus the 24 inch gage and the common gavel.

Next, the Fellowcraft were the ‘overseers’ of the work. Therefore, here, the functional difference of the above tools becomes important. The overseers (Fellowcraft) were the ‘quality control’ inspectors for the project. The plumb, level and the square are TESTING Tools to verify the work done by the Entered Apprentice (& other Fellowcraft ??) to be correct. Thus, these are also the testing tools use by the EA to shape and place his work in the building as his skills developed.

For the Master Mason, our lecture states ‘the Working Tools are ALL the implements of Masonry indiscriminately, but especially the Towel’. This towel is described as an operative tool of a Mason, but given a speculative use by the Master to spread the cement of Brotherly Love among all masons.

Thanks for your question, I think a better clarification is needed on that point in the paper.