Working Tools: The Compass

edwmax

I get a weekly e-news letter. Today's issue had the following question. I have already wrote and replied with my answer. But, I am posting here to see what you guys might say.

Question of the hour? Why aren't the Compasses a part of the Working Tools?

G

Gary

Fascinating question Bro. Max!

Could it be that the Compasses are not included because they are not the tools of a Master? But rather an Apprentice?

One would think that if an Apprentice learns to make a perfect square by using a simple tool such as the Compasses, a Master can certainly make a perfect circle with a Square!

The Compasses were used not only in design of a structure, but they were also used to check the work done by the Craftsman. They weren't used during the actual building from what I've learned so far. I may be off base, but this is an earnest attempt to answer the question.

edwmax

The Tools shown in that box are used by the EA & FC Operative Mason. ... The EA Mason is the barer (sp) of the work and therefore uses the 24 in gauge, trowel, and gavel. .... the FC Mason uses the plumb rule, square & level to correctly set the work in place.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Fascinating question Bro. Max!

Could it be that the Compasses are not included because they are not the tools of a Master? But rather an Apprentice?

One would think that if an Apprentice learns to make a perfect square by using a simple tool such as the Compasses, a Master can certainly make a perfect circle with a Square!

The Compasses were used not only in design of a structure, but they were also used to check the work done by the Craftsman. They weren't used during the actual building from what I've learned so far. I may be off base, but this is an earnest attempt to answer the question.
Okay, I like that answer, however then why are the Compasses brought more and more to the foreground as you are work through the 3 degrees? Ergo, more and more legs showing? Would that not indicate that they are of more importance?

edwmax

Oh, I did a quick web search for the answer and didn't find one. If anyone does please post it. I'll post my answer to the question later. Then we can compare our answers.

G

Gary

Okay, I like that answer, however then why are the Compasses brought more and more to the foreground as you are work through the 3 degrees? Ergo, more and more legs showing? Would that not indicate that they are of more importance?
Because they are in the background and not visible to symbolize the work to be done. When the Craftsman has mastered his work, they become visible? Again, using the Compasses to evaluate the finished work.

I know, I'm sticking to my guns on my theory...LOL

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Because they are hidden to symbolize the work to be done. When the Craftsman has mastered his work, they become visible?
Or does the SQ represent our baser selves and as we work through the degrees we subdue it with reason and logic?

edwmax

Because they are hidden to symbolize the work to be done. When the Craftsman has mastered his work, they become visible?
Yes ... but the Compass is not part of the 'opertive' Working Tools: Why and What is the symbolism? Who uses the Compass?

G

Gary

Yes ... but the Compass is not part of the 'opertive' Working Tools: Why and What is the symbolism? Who uses the Compass?
Again, The Craftsman uses them to check his work, They are not part of the actual construction. They Scribe a moral circle in which the apprentice learns to work within. The other tools are used throughout the building process.

The are an evaluation tool, not a Working Tool. Think about your entrance into the fraternity. what was the first thing you were taught?

edwmax

Again, The Craftsman uses them to check his work, They are not part of the actual construction. They Scribe a moral circle in which the apprentice learns to work within. The other tools are used throughout the building process.

The are an evaluation tool, not a Working Tool. Think about your entrance into the fraternity. what was the first thing you were taught?
The plumb Rule, Square & Level are evaluation tools too!

".... what was the first thing you were taught? ..." .... Hummm ,,, yes, but that was a lecture on what the Compass (3 G.L.) were to do; not instructions for the EA to use that implement. ... The same as the mention of the HB (3 G.L.) was not instruction for the EA go out and be a preacher. The EA has not been trained to use it. ..... I know, i just muddied up the waters. ..... LOL

G

Gary

The plumb Rule, Square & Level are evaluation tools too!

".... what was the first thing you were taught? ..." .... Hummm ,,, yes, but that was a lecture on what the Compass (3 G.L.) were to do; not instructions for the EA to use that implement. ... The same as the mention of the HB (3 G.L.) was not instruction for the EA go out and be a preacher. The EA has not been trained to use it. ..... I know, i just muddied up the waters. ..... LOL
LOL This getting good... :D

I submit for consideration that the Compasses draw the map or blueprint (by the Master...) The Apprentice works to follow the plan which would be the VSL. The Circumpunct comes to mind.

The Master uses them to check the work of the apprentice. The Compasses represent Mastery.

edwmax

Now you are on the right track. ... IMHO .... The Compass is the Tool of the 'Master' or Master Architect and not a Working Tool of the Operative Mason (EA or FC). Due to its size the Compass has limited use and little benefit for use in operative works. It is the Skirrit, in lieu of the Compass, that is used by the MM to layout on the ground the intended structure. .... Therefore: the Compass is not a working Tool of the Operative Mason in the US (Preston-Webb) Ritual. But, the Compass, Pencil, and Skirrit are given as working Tools of the Master in the Emulation Rituals (UGLE).

G

Gary

Now you are on the right track. ... IMHO .... The Compass is the Tool of the 'Master' or Master Architect and not a Working Tool of the Operative Mason (EA or FC). Due to its size the Compass has limited use and little benefit operative works. It is the Skirrit, in lieu of the Compass, that is used by the MM to layout on the ground the intended structure.
I had 3/4's of the answer. Not bad considering I'm functioning on only four hours of sleep. I didn't think about the Skirrit I highlighted in your comment. LOL

edwmax

This is the answer I gave to the opening "Question of the Hour"

My answer:

I did a quick web search and did not find a specific answer to your question. … So the following is my understanding of Freemasonry.

The pictured ‘Working Tools” set are those as used by US Freemasonry. These are the six tools of the Entered Apprentice and Fellowcraft Masons. In the Emulation Ritual (UGLE) there are 3 additional tools; the Skirrit, the Pencil, and the Compass and explained in that Master Mason Degree.

The US Rituals (Preston-Webb) the Working Tools are given as follows:
· In the Entered Apprentice Degree only two tools are explained; the 24-inch gauge and the Common Gavel.
· In the Fellowcraft Degee the Plumb, Square and Level are given and explained.
· In the Master Mason (3rd ) Degree, it is stated “ The Working Tools of the Master Mason are all the implements of Masonry indiscriminately, but more especially the Trowel’, and the ‘Speculative’ symbolism is explained.

“The Trowel is an implement use by Operative Masons to spread the cement which unites a building into a common mass …” The use of ‘Operative Masons’ here must refer to the Entered Apprentice and Fellowcraft Masons, as these are the masons which set finished stones in place in the works. So, it is only the symbolism of the cement of ‘Brotherly Love’ that is symbolically explained in the 3rd Degree.

The Compass and the Pencil are tools of the ‘Master’ (Architect) to layout the plans and instructions for the Operative Masons constructing the Works. Due to size, these tools have little and limited used by Operative Masons. The Skirrit, in lieu of the compass, is the implement used by the Master Mason to mark out the ground and layout the guidelines for the intended structure.

Therefore the Compass is not a working tool of the Operative Mason. The Compass has the more ‘Divine’ symbolism by which the Grand Master, GAOTU, measures the ‘Due Bounds’ for which the Master Mason kept himself within. The Compass is in its correct position as one of the “Three Great Lights” upon the Holy Alter

G

Gary

I think you just gave me the topic for our M/E at my Lodge next stated... :p

It's easy to get tunnel vision when working the Preston-Webb. I wonder how many Brethren would find that question to have a quick and easy answer.

I knew about the Skirrit, and for some reason, I didn't think to include it in the equation. I'm a first year MM, so I wonder if the answer is actually a simple one for more experienced Masons.

edwmax

I think you just gave me the topic for our M/E at my Lodge next stated... :p

It's easy to get tunnel vision when working the Preston-Webb. I wonder how many Brethren would find that question to have a quick and easy answer.

I knew about the Skirrit, and for some reason, I didn't think to include it in the equation. I'm a first year MM, so I wonder if the answer is actually a simple one for more experienced Masons.
that is why i posted the question here. ... To see if there could be another explanation and if I might have missed anything. ... It only took me an hour to write that.

I might add this to the end:

The HB is given us as a Ruling guide for our Faith in practice. The HB is our Law.

The Square, to square our actions toward all mankind. The Square is also the symbol & symbolic of the Worshipful Master, therefore he is the earthly (or Lodge) Judge.

The Compass to Circumscribe our desires ....; The Compass being the symbolic final judgment by the GAOTU.

G

Gary

that is why i posted the question here. ... To see if there could be another explanation and if I might have missed anything. ... It only took me an hour to write that.

I might add this to the end:

The HB is given us as a Ruling guide for our Faith in practice. The HB is our Law.

The Square, to square our actions toward all mankind. The Square is also the symbol & symbolic of the Worshipful Master, therefore he is the earthly (or Lodge) Judge.

The Compass to Circumscribe our desires ....; The Compass being the symbolic final judgment by the GAOTU.
I didn't word my answers as well as you, but I came to a similar (albeit not as complete) answer as you did. I figured it out in a few minutes, so either I did very well, or it's an easy answer! :p

I had the basic concept in my head when I asked you that question about your entrance into the fraternity. I should have added an explanation about the job of the Master (laying out the plans) in my question. That may have made my response more clear as to where I was going with my answers. :eek:

edwmax

You did fine! ... I just see many Masons referring to the Compass as being a "working tool" of Masons or EA. I've been biting my tongue to that. With today's question, I finally put my thoughts together for a response. The Compass was not a working tool of the operative Mason; but that of the Master. In Speculative Freemasonry, that Master is the GAOTU.

I was hoping Coach would weight in before we got this far. ... LOL ..