Working Tools: The Compass

G

Gary

You did fine! ... I just see many Masons referring to the Compass as being a "working tool" of Masons or EA. I've been biting my tongue to that. With today's question, I finally put my thoughts together for a response. The Compass was not a working tool of the operative Mason; but that of the Master. In Speculative Freemasonry, that Master is the GAOTU.

I was hoping Coach would weight in before we got this far. ... LOL ..
LOL...Me too. I like when he comments. He generally adds an interesting twist. He may still have something to add.

I Just got excited to engage in the discussion. Sorry if that got it moving a little fast. :D

edwmax

Excited is OK .... just once you (anyone) hit the point of who's tool the compass was; there was no reason for me to hold back my answer to the question. Everything seems to fall in place then.

CoachN

Builder Builder
The Compasses represent the culmination of the EA and FC Work, without of which the "Master" is but a title to be held. If the Work is complete, the Master has now the use of such a tool to do what is necessary of Masters.

G

Gary

So, is this something that the average Mason would know? I know we should... But for the sake of discussion, I'm asking...

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I would submit that we need to know, but that learning comes to us through search and conversation with more informed members. So now that this has been used her I think I'm following Gary's idea and using it for a M/E.

G

Gary

BTW- Thanks for sharing this topic with us Bro. Max! I really enjoyed working through this with you.

Winter

I've been here before
I submit that we should use the more common teaching of the compass for those that are not as well versed in the esoteric.

An instrument that is formed for the purpose of cautioning a Brother to examine every action he takes and deciding whether they are in "due bounds" and if those actions contribute to the betterment of his community and family is far more valuable to him than an abstract thought that he has not been prepared to receive.

edwmax

The Compasses represent the culmination of the EA and FC Work, without of which the "Master" is but a title to be held. If the Work is complete, the Master has now the use of such a tool to do what is necessary of Masters.

Then WE agree ... as the 'culmination' of the EA & FC Work is when the earthly Master Mason 'ascends' from the Square to take possession of the Compass as a True 'Master'.

edwmax

I submit that we should use the more common teaching of the compass for those that are not as well versed in the esoteric.

An instrument that is formed for the purpose of cautioning a Brother to examine every action he takes and deciding whether they are in "due bounds" and if those actions contribute to the betterment of his community and family is far more valuable to him than an abstract thought that he has not been prepared to receive.
I agree ... The Compass is a implement of 'caution' to the Mason, as the 'Due Bounds' are already drawn and given within the HB or VSL. ... It is not an implement whereby the Mason may change those Bounds.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is a wonderful discussion . This is why I keep my mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard) in these esoteric discussions . I learn more with an open mind than an open mouth .

MORE !

edwmax

Thanks, Coach and Winter for your thoughts! ... I've revised the last paragraph of the above paper to read as follows.

"Therefore the Compass is not a working tool of the Operative Mason. The Compass is a implement of 'caution' to the Speculative Freemason, as the 'Due Bounds' are already drawn and given within the HB or VSL. ... It is not an implement whereby the Mason may change those Bounds. The Compass has the more ‘Divine’ symbolism by which the Grand Master, GAOTU, measures the ‘Due Bounds’ for which the Master Mason kept himself within at the Final Judgment. The Compass is in its correct position as one of the “Three Great Lights” upon the Holy Alter and being on top of the Holy Bible & Square is emblematic of the 'culmination' of the Entered Apprentice & Fellowcraft Work when the earthly Master Mason 'ascends' from the Square to receive possession of the Compass as a True 'Master'.

edit note: replaced take with receive .... There is no strikeout BB code.
"

CoachN

Builder Builder
So, is this something that the average Mason would know? I know we should... But for the sake of discussion, I'm asking...
The Compasses as a WT is what every Master should be and every other Mason should aspire to be.
I would submit that we need to know, but that learning comes to us through search and conversation with more informed members. So now that this has been used her I think I'm following Gary's idea and using it for a M/E.
The Compasses represent the Mastering of Masonic Education, as it SHOULD be.
Then WE agree ... as the 'culmination' of the EA & FC Work is when the earthly Master Mason 'ascends' from the Square to take possession of the Compass as a True 'Master'.
The Master Mason doesn't take possession of the Compasses; he IS the Compasses.
I agree ... The Compass is a implement of 'caution' to the Mason, as the 'Due Bounds' are already drawn and given within the HB or VSL. ... It is not an implement whereby the Mason may change those Bounds.
For the average Mason, yes. For Masters they're merely a "gold standard" that can be used in every direction.
Thanks, Coach and Winter for your thoughts!...
;)

edwmax

CoachN said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BukeyeJackson View Post
The Compasses represent the Mastering of Masonic Education, as it SHOULD be.
The Compass and the Pencil are implements of the Master to give instruction to the EA & FC. These are the instruments of Masonic Education.

CoachN said:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
The Master Mason doesn't take possession of the Compasses; he IS the Compasses.
.... Sorry, I must have another dot or two to connect. I'll work on it. Maybe one day I will catch up to you. ... :)

CoachN

Builder Builder
The Compass and the Pencil are implements of the Master to give instruction to the EA & FC. These are the instruments of Masonic Education.
Yes. And the Master IS that instrument ;)
.... Sorry, I must have another dot or two to connect. I'll work on it. Maybe one day I will catch up to you. ... :)
We are side by side my Brother. The scenery is the same but the view is slightly different.

edwmax

Yes. And the Master IS that instrument ;)

We are side by side my Brother. The scenery is the same but the view is slightly different.
Yes, it is the duty of the 'Master' Mason to teach the Craft by instruction; ... Masonic Education. The 'Master's' Tools are the Compass and the Pencil and the 'learned' Master being a Tool of Education for the Craft too.

So I haven't really missed those dots, ... I just didn't go into that specific detail explaining why the Compass is not a part of the Working Tools of the Operative Craft Mason.

Let me try this with another scene.

Stand at the Holy Alter and look at the 3 G.L. in the MM Lodge:

The HB is on the bottom. It is the 'written instruction' from the GAOTU, our Celestial Master.

On top of the HB is the Square. The Square is the emblem of the WM, who is the Master of the Lodge and Judge of the Craft in our earthly labors. And, to the East sits the WM where the 3 G.L. are always in his full view and no one shall cross the Holy Ground to block his view.

On Top of the Square and the HB, is the Compass. ... To understand this, one only has to look to the East and above the WM's head: 'G' ... Thus, the Compass is the Tool of the 'Master', the GAOTU, and used to prove the Master Mason at the Finial Judgment.

.... I'm not saying a Mason can not use a Compass. On the contrary, one must use a Tool to become proficient with it. The operative EA must use the 'plumb rule, level, and the square' to prove himself proficient to be passed to the Fellowcraft. ... The Fellowcraft must prove himself proficient with all the Working Tools of Freemasonary including the 'cement of Brotherly Love' (Judgment) to be Raised a Master Mason. ... A Master Mason must prove himself proficient at instructing the Craft to become "Master' of the Works.

FF Sparky

Wow, the discussions you guys come up with are awesome, things I would have never thought of in my early stages of FM. I think I'm gunna keep my keyboard shut and just read these forums for now. So I can gain more light and hopefully be able to contribute to discussions with a better understanding.