MM Topic York and Scottish Rites (the differences)

megablaise

what are the York Rite and the Scottish Rite all about. I come across them most time but i dont really know the difference< i am newly made MM.....Please anyone out there to assist, thanks and i wish you well.
Brother Mega

what are the York Rite and the Scottish Rite all about. I come across them most time but i dont really know the difference< i am newly made MM.....Please anyone out there to assist, thanks and i wish you well.
Brother Mega
MegaB..... these are questions your should discuss with in the boundaries of where you was "made" a MM.....

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Brother Mega
MegaB..... these are questions your should discuss with in the boundaries of where you was "made" a MM.....
My advice is to stay away from all the appendant bodies for at least a year and stay with the Blue Lodge. During that time, you will be repeatedly asked to join everything in your area. Ask questions of the men recruiting you.

I was lucky. My daughter wrote a paper for her Cultural Anthropology class on Freemasonry and asked me to come along with her when she interviewed Most Worshipful Donald G. Hicks at the Grand Lodge building in Boston. He answered all my questions and reinforced the advice I got from others to wait at least a year. You can read the paper here: Freemasonry Ethnography Paper

jaya

Megablaise is under the District Grand Lodge of Nigeria going by his lodge. I am not sure of what is available there with regards to either organization. I am unable to answer the specific question because I have not gone through the York Rite. To me the Scottish Rite takes the lessons taught in the blue lodge and expands on them. Like you megablaise, I am a relatively new mason. I was raised less than a year ago. I also went through the Scottish Rite degrees about a month after being raised. I will equate the experience like drinking out of a firehose. There is a lot of information thrown at you at once that you are unable to comprehend much of it. That is why I went through the Master Craftsman program right after joining (thanks to my valley for providing it to all new SR masons.) Yes there is lots to be learned in the blue lodge. However, it can be done to do both at the same time. I am not sure if I would be where I am after 1 year if it had not been for the combination of both groups. I have gained a lot from each group. Good luck in your travels.

FF Sparky

My advice is to stay away from all the appendant bodies for at least a year and stay with the Blue Lodge. During that time, you will be repeatedly asked to join everything in your area. Ask questions of the men recruiting you.

I was lucky. My daughter wrote a paper for her Cultural Anthropology class on Freemasonry and asked me to come along with her when she interviewed Most Worshipful Donald G. Hicks at the Grand Lodge building in Boston. He answered all my questions and reinforced the advice I got from others to wait at least a year. You can read the paper here: Freemasonry Ethnography Paper
Great Paper, hope she got an A++