York Rite Education Program (YREP)

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Stemming from my involvement with the Under 40's committee and just the wanting to re-invigorate the York Rite, one of my causes is to establish a York Rite Education Program (YREP).

Here are some exerpts from my blog post:

At November's Stated meeting I held a survey of the membership covering what influenced them to join, what they liked about the organization/meetings, and what would they like to improve. A third of those that answered joined the York Rite were seeking further light in Freemasonry. Over half of those that joined enjoy the fellowship provided by the York Rite. In the "Improvements" section they had the chance to pick up multiple choices so I'm only going to give the #1 answer. 77% of those surveyed (22% of the answers given) want more...education programs. This answer was given not just by the younger crowd, but was spread across the spectrum of ages.

---

The curriculum I had in mind would follow in a fashion similar to this:

Part I - History

Quiz 1 - Origin of the Royal Arch degrees and its journey to America
Quiz 2 - Origin of the Chivalric orders and its journey to America
Quiz 3 - Origin and History of the Cryptic Rite

Part II - Royal Arch Degrees

Quiz 4 - Mark Master degree
Quiz 5 - Past Master (Virtual) and Most Excellent Master degrees
Quiz 6 - Royal Arch Mason degree

Part III - Cryptic Degrees

Quiz 7 - Royal Master degree
Quiz 8 - Select Master degree
Quiz 9 - Super Excellent Master degree

Part IV - Chivalric Orders

Quiz 10 - Order of the Red Cross
Quiz 11 - Order of Malta
Quiz 12 - Order of the Temple

Part V - Honorary and Invitational Bodies (HIB)

Quiz 13 - Chair degrees (to include the KYCH)
Quiz 14 - HIB requiring membership in the Royal Arch
Quiz 15 - HIB requiring membership in the Knights Templar
Quiz 16 - Other misc. honorary or invite-only organizations

SOURCE
I would love some input. Be gentle on the criticism :1-wink-grin:

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
The hurdles I see is how to gather all of the information up into a set of books and creating the committee/body that will oversee this and share between all 3 bodies.

Maybe hell, this could my little pet project to get running. Ugh, I'm going to have to travel to the Triennials next year and present this plan.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Your idea sounds like the Master Craftsman program for the SR (which I see you compare in your blog). It may be easier to break it down into the sections you've outlined and see if there are texts that will support that education. Not being YR myself, I wouldn't know where to begin.

YR History should be fairly easy to research since you are a member and should have those resources available.

jaya

While I am not YR, I also thought of it looking like the MC program. What about breaking it into two levels like the MC program? Possibly in the first section have it overview each of the sections you have outlined. Then a second course where it breaks it down more like what you have. It would give the advantage of having a broad overview and then more in depth study of each area.

I think this would be a great thing for the YR to consider. Education is very important. After taking the SR degrees I had no clue about much of what I had just experienced. I learned about each degree by going through the MC course. This idea can only help make the YR stronger.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
While I am not YR, I also thought of it looking like the MC program. What about breaking it into two levels like the MC program? Possibly in the first section have it overview each of the sections you have outlined. Then a second course where it breaks it down more like what you have. It would give the advantage of having a broad overview and then more in depth study of each area.

I think this would be a great thing for the YR to consider. Education is very important. After taking the SR degrees I had no clue about much of what I had just experienced. I learned about each degree by going through the MC course. This idea can only help make the YR stronger.
Great idea Bro. Jay. I agree that it would be a great thing to help the YR.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar

I did pull some inspiration from the Master Crafstman Program, why re-invent the wheel if there is a good model already in place.

Yeah, I am thinking that I will have to make different levels of study

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
At the end of last year I discussed the creation of a York Rite Education Program. Well, through the Internet, a Brother had told me about me the York Rite College establishing an education program. Well, the York Rite Sovereign College of North America (YRSCNA) has finally come out with a program similar to the Scottish Rite's Master Craftsman Program.

In the Spring 2012 edition of the Crusader, the official publication of the YRSCNA, stated:

Last year, the Education Committee recommended that an “educational tool kit” be developed and administered by the Sovereign College. Subsequently, we received a number of requests to consider developing a program similar to the Southern Jurisdiction Scottish Rite’s Master Craftsman program. For those not familiar with the Master Craftsman program, it is a series of multiple choice exams and essay questions on the degrees of the Scottish Rite. It is administered by the House of the Temple staff in Washington, DC, and has proven to be a very popular program for the Scottish Rite.

The Education Committee agreed that a similar program should be developed and adopted by the Sovereign College. Participation by companions and knights across North America will strengthen the value of every College and the York Rite in general. To this end, the committee has developed a self-study program through the Chapter and Council Degrees and the Commandery Orders of the York Rite.

Companion Adept of the Temple is a self-study program through the Degrees and Orders of the York Rite of Freemasonry administered by the Sovereign York Rite College of North America. This program is offered to any York Rite Mason by enrollment through the Sovereign College office.

The program offers a series of exams focused on the ritualistic, philosophical, and esoteric teachings of the York Rite. The exams include a combination of multiple-choice, true-false, and essay questions pertaining to information presented in the Degrees and Orders of the Rite and/or in the resource materials which are recommended for purchase with the program.

There are five exams included in the curriculum, The first two exams will cover the Chapter Degrees and are styled “The Degrees of the Capitular Rite.” Exam III is titled “The Degrees of the Cryptic Rite;” Exam IV covers “The Orders of Chivalry,” and Exam V is titled “The York Rite Traditions and Freemasonry.

Enrollment in the Companion Adept of the Temple will be through the Sovereign College office. The enrollment cost will be $30.00, Resource materials which can be used in taking each exam, along with ordering information, will also be listed. Enrollees can purchase these materials to use as a guide in answering the questions provided in each exam. These resources include books which are readily available through Masonic Supply catalogues or as downloadable ebooks, such as Understanding the Royal Arch, Guide to the Royal Arch Chapter, Some Royal Arch Terms Examined, and The Royal Arch, Its Hidden Meaning.

This Program is currently available. Please contact the Detroit Office for enrollment information.

READ MORE

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
If you have any questions just give them a call and they can answer any questions you have. Or you can just send them a check and note that you'd like to start the program.

I just sent my check in and can't wait for it to arrive.