‘Decoded’: Brad Meltzer now hunts for fact as well as fiction

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Bestselling author Brad Meltzer was a comic-book kid growing up in South Florida, and it still informs much of his writing life, whether it’s subtle (the Superman publishing history provided a backdrop for his novel “The Book of Lies,” and check out the title and cover image of his “Heroes for My Son” ) or more overt (he’s written the landmark “Identity Crisis” miniseries for DC and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” comics for Dark Horse). Now, though, he has a new sort of success with the series “Brad Meltzer’s Decoded” on A&E’s History channel, and it speaks to a very different bookshelf — although some of the episode topics would qualify for old issues of “Weird War Tales,” and Meltzer’s team (a journalist, a mechanical engineer and a trial attorney) could be nicknamed “Challengers of the Unknown.” Our Geoff Boucher caught up with Meltzer to talk about fact and fiction.

GB: This a busy time for you with “The Inner Circle” arriving in paperback last week and the second season of “Brad Meltzer’s Decoded” beginning this Wednesday. With the show, its goal is to sift out fact from folklore, and that has considerable heritage on television, thinking back, say, to “In Search of…” but it’s also a genre that can drift into the silly and the sensational.

BM: It’s so easy to make a bad version of this show. All you have to do is say the word “Freemason” and play lots of scary music. But I think the reason so many people latched onto the show last season is that they know we’re after the true scariest story of all: the one that shows the truth. Last year, I wanted to do this story about Adolf Hitler. And the reality was, we didn’t have the budget. They told me, “No offense, but we’re not flying the cast and crew to Germany for a new show that’s totally unproven.” So with Season 2? We get the budget. And Europe. And my quest for the real-life magic item that Adolf Hitler was looking for.

more ‘Decoded’: Brad Meltzer now hunts for fact as well as fiction | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com

G

Gary

I sit and roll my eyes so much when watching it that they almost got stuck in the back of my head .
LOL!!!! Get out of my head!!! You said what I was thinking! :p

FFSparky,

I'm not a fan of the show, but I can see how he generates a profane interest in our Fraternity. I just don't think his investigative skills are all that. IMHO, he tends to capitalize on the secret society crap too much.

Now, if Bro. Hodapp put his film making skills to work, he could generate a more realistic and informative show if you ask me. Solomon's Builders comes to mind. Man, I loved that book. And then he could follow up with a collaboration with Bro's DeHoyos and Morris with a series on "Is it True what they say about Freemasonry?"

That would educate the public if you asked me...

FF Sparky

FFSparky,

I'm not a fan of the show, but I can see how he generates a profane interest in our Fraternity. I just don't think his investigative skills are all that. IMHO, he tends to capitalize on the secret society crap too much.

Now, if Bro. Hodapp put his film making skills to work, he could generate a more realistic and informative show if you ask me. Solomon's Builders comes to mind. Man, I loved that book. And then he could follow up with a collaboration with Bro's DeHoyos and Morris with a series on "Is it True what they say about Freemasonry?"

The way he protrayed it to me made me more curious to find out what Freemasonry was really about. I did some research, then joined this Great Fraternity.

I haven't read Solomons Builders(I will look for it), but knowing Brother Hodapp's work. It would definately be a very well writing show or movie.

G

Gary

The way he protrayed it to me made me more curious to find out what Freemasonry was really about. I did some research, then joined this Great Fraternity.

I haven't read Solomons Builders(I will look for it), but knowing Brother Hodapp's work. It would definately be a very well writing show or movie.
I'm glad you what you saw in the show peaked your curiosity. I guess some good does come out of shows like that.

Solomon's Builders is a great book on the history of Freemasonry in the U.S. and it's importance in the building of our nations capitol. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

FFSparky,

From info I have gathered, the basic idea of "Decoded" was pitched and a pilot done by Ill. Bro Hodapp and his wife Alice. BUT, the History channel wanted more of a conspiracy twist so the project went down the road its on now with Brad......

G

Gary

From info I have gathered, the basic idea of "Decoded" was pitched and a pilot done by Ill. Bro Hodapp and his wife Alice. BUT, the History channel wanted more of a conspiracy twist so the project went down the road its on now with Brad......

Interesting trivia. Too bad the History channel is anything but history these days. I didn't even know who Brad Meltzer was before the series aired. It seems more of a push to sell his novels than anything. From what I've read about them, they aren't that good either. How he got to be a "best selling" author is beyond me.

One would think that if they were going to go the conspiracy route, that they would at least put together a credible investigative team. The whole investigative process is hokey and scripted.

Interesting trivia. Too bad the History channel is anything but history these days. I didn't even know who Brad Meltzer was before the series aired. It seems more of a push to sell his novels than anything. From what I've read about them, they aren't that good either. How he got to be a "best selling" author is beyond me.

One would think that if they were going to go the conspiracy route, that they would at least put together a credible investigative team. The whole investigative process is hokey and scripted.
Its not even as good as a episode of Scooby-Doo.....:eek:

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Hey, I've had those... taste a lot like Teddy Grahams. I like the nut jobs, it's comedy for the most part. Then I started yelling facts at the tv like it's the Buckeyes/Browns ruining my weekend.

FF Sparky

Did you guys watch the show on History channel last night about Freemasonry called 'Secrets of the Founding Fathers'?

It had Brother Chris Hodapp on there. I fell asleep a few times during it, long day at work

Did you guys watch the show on History channel last night about Freemasonry called 'Secrets of the Founding Fathers'?

It had Brother Chris Hodapp on there. I fell asleep a few times during it, long day at work
Yea...its older than the decoded shows but it is interesting.....