Advice for a young candidate

DavisB

I petitioned my local lodge 3 days after I turned 18. If voted in, I will be the youngest member ever at the lodge, and one of the youngest ever in the state of Tennessee (the minimum age was just recently changed from 21 to 18). I have attended dinner at the lodge multiple times and have met most of the members. While most of the members initially seem excited that someone so young has petitioned, I am still concerned about being taken seriously. I assure you that I am serious. I have had a desire to join the fraternity for years and the more reading I do about it, the more I am sure. I guess my question to you all is, if an 18 year old high school student petitioned your lodge, what would you need to see from him that would make you ready to accept him into the brotherhood?

Psi Brr

Veritas vos liberabit
Beyond the three big questions every candidate is asked, I would immediately look for maturity and humility in the candidate.

I would say some advice I was given many years ago when I joined the fire department would apply here too....God gave you two ear and one mouth ...use them accordingly....listen to what is being said to you....but dont be afraid to ask questions...it shows you are interested. if they accept you into the fraternity, then you will have the respect of the older Brothers....

VirKnight

Sir Knight & 32 GL of VA
One of the best ritualist in VA freemasonry was initiated on his 18th birthday and he was the first mason in his family. He learned quickly, took on as much responsibility as the lodge would offer and worked hard to help in every way possible. I sat in line with him as a Junior Warden when he was Senior Warden, which is really to his credit because he was still only 20 years of age. I moved before I had the chance to serve with him as master but I am certain in my heart that he did a great job, so my advice would be learn the ritual, become as proficient as possible, and you will be asked to do more, as time progresses. Take on the lodge training and accept opportunities as they come along. Youth is never a curse, but often a bit of a burden. The good news you will out grow it over time.

I petitioned my local lodge 3 days after I turned 18. If voted in, I will be the youngest member ever at the lodge, and one of the youngest ever in the state of Tennessee (the minimum age was just recently changed from 21 to 18). I have attended dinner at the lodge multiple times and have met most of the members. While most of the members initially seem excited that someone so young has petitioned, I am still concerned about being taken seriously. I assure you that I am serious. I have had a desire to join the fraternity for years and the more reading I do about it, the more I am sure. I guess my question to you all is, if an 18 year old high school student petitioned your lodge, what would you need to see from him that would make you ready to accept him into the brotherhood?
I see what you mean. Although I wasn't quite as young as you I was rather young when I was initiated (22.) I was easily 25 years younger than any of the other brethren in my lodge but you know what? I soon realised that all the nervousness at being taken seriously etc sat with me. The other brethren didn't look at me as a 20 something year old kid, tey looked at me as a brother in every sense of the word, and it was me, not them that had to get used to that.

Just be yourself and you will find that they will accept you as just a brother, not a little brother, lol. :D

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
The 'new guy on the block' has little to do with age, it has much to do with maturity, character, and a willingness to listen and learn. (I am a newbie to FM @ 57)

Azpir8king

I just went through my Scottish Rite degrees with a 19 Year old brother that is still in college He was raised just a few months ago. We are equals and he has earned the right to speak, act and grow within the lodge by taking Freemasonry so seriously at his age, as well as by pursuing continuing education and learning through the Concordant bodies. Maturity is a bigger factor than age, as far as I am concerned. There are no caveats once you are raised that say 'He's a brother, but until he is XX old, he is less than any other Master Mason."
If your Grand Lodge (and the craft in general) did not think younger men could contribute and be better men, then they would not have lowered the age in the first place.
Seize this opportunity and get the most out of freemasonry for the longest time you can. STAY INVOLVED!!!!

Duncan1574

Have confidence in yourself the rest will come, oh and a younger mind will have an easier time with memory work than us 'old' guys. :D

Good advice from all. I'd add that you, being younger and more eager, might be asked to do more. Take on only what you think you can handle well. There will always be another opportunity (you could be a 70 year Mason).

"No" is an important word to learn and, in my experience, sometimes 18 year olds don't feel like they can use that word when asked by those they respect. Just don't bit off more than you can chew and get burned out.

robmei2

A man's character is judged, not a man's age. Listen and learn and show due respect for the Past Masters and be humble, honest and willing to learn. The lessons of Freemasonry are many and the learning never ends for the Brother who wishes to continue to receive more light.
Good luck and enjoy your Masonic Journey.

R. Meier PM, 32nd Deg.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
If they let you in, then they already take you seriously. My advise is pretty simple; get involved. The more you are there and helping with things, the better relationship you will develop with your brothers and the more the lessons of freemasonry will sink in. Study what they give you and ask every question you have. We were all there before and we like talking about it.

Laxguy38922

It doesn't matter how old you are, your brothers will respect you anyways since you are their brother. I am a young mason myself at 22. I have never once not been given the respect of my brethren, actually they felt confident enough in me to trust me to be Junior Warden. Follow the advise Brother Liberty and everyone else gave about getting involved. You will not regret it.

DavisB

Thank you all very much for the advice. It was all very helpful. I was recently contacted by the lodge and I was told that I was voted in and I will receive my EA degree on Nov. 30th. I am very excited and i look forward to beginning my Masonic journey

Duncan1574

Congratulations. As a new EA myself my advice is three-fold (and gleaned in part from this forum)
1. Do NOT read ahead, it will be worth the wait
2. Trust the men of your new Lodge
3. Enjoy it!

DavisB

I received my EA earlier tonight and it was fantastic. It was most definitely something that I will never forget. I had the privilege of having a Past Grand Master of Tennessee serving as Worshipful Master for my degree and it was outstanding. Now all I have to do it memorize. I'm not going to lie it seems pretty intimidating.

Duncan1574

I received my EA earlier tonight and it was fantastic. It was most definitely something that I will never forget. I had the privilege of having a Past Grand Master of Tennessee serving as Worshipful Master for my degree and it was outstanding. Now all I have to do it memorize. I'm not going to lie it seems pretty intimidating.
One word at a time. (I am doing it too so I can give back my EA).
Learn the meanings behind what you are memorizing, the symbolism is just as wonderful as the initiation.

Congratulations!

rbryantr

Congratulations! I read this thread a little late to the game, you should already have been Entered by now, my brother. I understand your concerns about the age difference, but would like to assure you that all of the previous comments are correct. The majority of brothers who attend my lodge are my grandparents' age. My Secretary is their nephew and is only 2 months younger than my father. Last year they voted unanimously to install my in the East and am now just finishing out my first year as the Master. These men have known me since the day I was brought home from the hospital, and they take me very seriously and consider me to be their brother!
Again congratulations, don't be afraid to say, "I think I have too much on my plate right now to do a good job" when asked to do more than you think you are ready for.You have many years to look forward to growing and exploring Freemasonry!
Welcome Brother!