Advice for a young candidate

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Congrats on your entrance into this our ancient and honorable fraternity. I applaud you on your eagerness, and hope that you find the fraternity as heartfilling as I have. Enjoy your time as a candidate, for it will all too soon be over. I do like and agree with "486" also, learn the word "no", however if you do feel you are able to complete the request, fear not, the brethren in the lodge will appreciate all you do. I myself was raised on the 3rd month, and was sitting in a chair the 4th. I didn't learn that word quick enough I guess. Ohh well, it all worked out, and I am a 2 time past master now.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
"No" is an important word to learn and, in my experience, sometimes 18 year olds don't feel like they can use that word when asked by those they respect. Just don't bit off more than you can chew and get burned out.
I will second or third this. When I petitioned at 24, my Lodge was going through some very lean years of low attendance, few candidates, and an officer's line that seemed overly content. I was asked a month later to take the chair of Senior Deacon.

Thankfully for my sanity, I said no. I was finishing my Master's at the time, starting med school in the fall, and there simply was no way it was possible. The consequence of taking it would have left me shorting both Masonry and my education, and I was not willing to do that.

I'll go through the line someday, but it will be when I can give it the time it deserves, not taking a chair and halfheartedly doing it to say I did.

One of the best ritualist in VA freemasonry was initiated on his 18th birthday and he was the first mason in his family.
In GA you can't petition until your 18th bday. The father of one of our members was also raised on his 18th birthday, by his father. The GL made him do it again.

On the bright side, he's the only MM I know with 4 blue lodge degrees. He's one louder than the rest of us. :) (This is Spinal Tap fans will get that reference; others prolly not.)

Terry1955

I sat next to a 19 year old Candidate while going through Shrine this past weekend. I've been involved in the degree work of a couple of 18 year old candidates in the three years I have been a Mason. I think it's great and I hope we can keep these young men active in our lodges. Even with the 19 year old in my Shrine Class the average age was 45. That's still down from a few years ago.