All-American Muslim

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
On the news today, Lowes Home Improvement Stores has cancelled its advertizing on "All-American Muslim," after the Florida Family Association 'objected to the TLC program All-American Muslim, saying it was "propaganda" that hid the radical agenda of Muslims. '

I have never seen the show, but this act lessens American tolerance.

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
On the news today, Lowes Home Improvement Stores has cancelled its advertizing on "All-American Muslim," after the Florida Family Association 'objected to the TLC program All-American Muslim, saying it was "propaganda" that hid the radical agenda of Muslims. '

S&F
I'll weigh in and then shut up... The act that lessened American tolerance wasn't Lowes backing out of it's advertising and sponsorship of that program. The act that should be considered is the the lack of outrage from the Muslim community regarding the radicalism that caused the intolerance in the first place.

I'm still waiting on a public outcry from their community condemning the acts that occurred on 9/11, and the multitude of other acts of terrorism in the name of Islam by radicals tied to their religion. There has been nothing but silence from them. Sorry, but I don't agree with you.

BTW- I think the FFA are nut jobs.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Watched a very good movie, "My Name is Khan". Its about an Indian Muslim's experiences before and after 9/11. Very interesting.

.........The western world divides time into BC & AD and now 9/11......

I'll weigh in and then shut up... The act that lessened American tolerance wasn't Lowes backing out of it's advertising and sponsorship of that program. The act that should be considered is the the lack of outrage from the Muslim community regarding the radicalism that caused the intolerance in the first place.

I'm still waiting on a public outcry from their community condemning the acts that occurred on 9/11, and the multitude of other acts of terrorism in the name of Islam by radicals tied to their religion. There has been nothing but silence from them. Sorry, but I don't agree with you.

BTW- I think the FFA are nut jobs.
What do you have against the Future Farmers of America..... :confused:

S&F
I agree Brother Franks. By cancelling their advertising because someone believed that the show "hid the radical agenda of Muslims" they are endorsing the concept that their is a radical agenda of Muslims which I find to be disturbingly intolerant. I remember a great deal of outcry from the Muslim community after 9/11 and even since with respect to the acts of terror committed almost daily. The reality is that there are radical factions of any religion and/or organization and the "mother organization" should not be persecuted as a result of those factions.

Do we see an uprising from the "Christian Community" any time a crime is committed by someone who attends church? No. Do we accuse "Christians" of having a "radical agenda" because of a few fringe groups living in armed compounds in middle-America? No. Our society has chosen to judge an entire religion (Islam) based upon the actions of a few. No more is this acceptable than judging all of Freemasonry for the actions of a few "Card Carriers" that disgrace the Order in the public eye.

This is yet another blemish on the face of our nation.

Just my opinion.

BUT......you do see those in the "Christian" community denouncing acts done by so-called Christians i.e. Westboro Baptist. I have yet to see ANY national Muslim organization make a comment denouncing the radical Muslims.

Call me intolerant.....I dont care..... until the Muslim community makes the stand themselves to denounce the acts of the radicals then they will have to suffer the consequences of the acts by the radicals.

Sorry if I offend anyone but I am sick and tired of people bowing down and trying to be all "PC" to not offend the Muslims....... If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..... well then maybe it is a duck......

NOW...I think I need to go to LOWES.....

Brother Fireman,

I could fill this thread up with links from Muslim websites denouncing terrorism and we could go back and forth, but I do not see any usefulness to that. I can only say, as I tried to articulate in my previous post, that I do not believe it to be appropriate to denounce an entire group based upon the actions of a few. We, as Masons, are taught to exercise Brotherly Love which teaches us to view the whole human species as one family. The high, the low, the rich the poor who, created by one Almighty parent, and inhabitants of the same planet are to aid support and protect each other. On this principle, Freemasonry unites men of every country, sect and opinion and conciliates true friendship among those who might otherwise have remained at a perpetual distance. We judge with candor. We judge each man according to his own actions, not the actions of those who claim to be affiliated with him.

There is nothing “PC” about this stance. Is the Universality of Freemasonry to be deemed “PC”? We have many Muslim Brothers within the Order who might take offense to being lumped into a “radical agenda” being perpetrated by others. I certainly do not feel that they should, as you put it, SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES.

If we look like Masons, and walk like Masons...perhaps we should talk like Masons....

In Brotherhood,

Jason

The Muslim Brothers I have spoke to have made the same comments as I.... they wish the Muslim community as a whole would make a stance against the radicals that are making them look bad. Call me a bad Brother if you wish but I find no room for Brotherly love to ANY radical group of humans that wish to do harm.... sorry. I do not believe masonry teaches me that I must be "PC" to all groups..... if we were, we would not have certain conditions for membership...... Libertines and Atheists come to mind.... we show blatant exclusion of these types of people regardless of how good they are in the world. All too often do people link tolerance and acceptance together. it is a mistake. I am tolerant of many things but do not accept that/them as being acceptable......

Am I walking and talking like a Mason?

Bro Eddy-

I accept that what you say is your view on the topic and that is fine with me. I have a differing view and we as Freemasons are taught to be free thinkers and as such are entitled to differing opinions on topics. I doubt I am the sole Mason that has my view just as I am sure others have yours. I do not believe we must all be on the same page on every topic......

Brother Fireman,

I have not “called” you anything. I am simply pointing out what Masonry teaches. Brotherly Love applies “to the whole human species”, Brother. I am not suggesting that we condone the actions of anyone who wishes to harm others. Quite the contrary, as this would fly in the face of Relief which is a duty incumbent upon all men, but particularly Freemasons. The issue here is the assumption that all Muslims carry the same agenda. Masonry teaches you to practice Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth. If this is “PC” then perhaps I am not clear on the meaning of the term. The conditions for membership have no conflict with these tenets. We do not accept an atheist or libertine, but that does not mean that we treat them with any less Brotherly Love. I agree fully that tolerance is not acceptance, but find that to be irrelevant to the topic at hand. What is intolerable or unacceptable about a show centered around Muslims?

I thank you for your civility Brother. It is indeed rare, even among Masons, when men can disagree but do so in a civil manner. We certainly have differing views, but I respect your stance and look forward to gaining perspective from our continued discussion. The perspective I like to maintain in polarizing discussions like this comes from a quote from our Brother Voltaire.

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.”

I look forward to your response.

Your Brother,

Jason

Bro

I didnt mean to imply you "called" me anything..... I have been known on rare occasions to be a bit on the sarcastic side and in doing so, the intent is lost in simple words typed.

My issue with being "PC-Politically Correct" is often we do so while turning a blind eye to the truth. As far as the show goes, I havent seen it but I dont blame Lowes for dropping their support for the show because of their perceived impression of the program. They as a business have fll rights to drop its monetary support for whatever reason they choose.

As for the Muslim community. I am sure the good out weighs the bad but just like anything, the bad gets more attention than the good does. With that said, I never see any national reports where the Muslim community as a whole is making the stand against the radical...... on the contrary, there are reports all the time about the increase in radicalism of Muslims especially in America. I just think that if the Muslim community truly wished to change their image that is being portrayed by the radical, they would be leading the charge to stop the radicals. That is why I say if they are not doing anything to change the image then they are doing just the same as condoning it.

I have never read any Voltaire but my favorite saying is taken from the Holy Bible KJV:
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Bro

I didnt mean to imply you "called" me anything..... I have been known on rare occasions to be a bit on the sarcastic side and in doing so, the intent is lost in simple words typed.

My issue with being "PC-Politically Correct" is often we do so while turning a blind eye to the truth. As far as the show goes, I havent seen it but I dont blame Lowes for dropping their support for the show because of their perceived impression of the program. They as a business have fll rights to drop its monetary support for whatever reason they choose.

As for the Muslim community. I am sure the good out weighs the bad but just like anything, the bad gets more attention than the good does. With that said, I never see any national reports where the Muslim community as a whole is making the stand against the radical...... on the contrary, there are reports all the time about the increase in radicalism of Muslims especially in America. I just think that if the Muslim community truly wished to change their image that is being portrayed by the radical, they would be leading the charge to stop the radicals. That is why I say if they are not doing anything to change the image then they are doing just the same as condoning it.

I have never read any Voltaire but my favorite saying is taken from the Holy Bible KJV:
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"
Brother,

I think that we agree more than we disagree. Good discussion. Proverbs 27:17 is one of my all time favorite verses. I think that it speaks directly to what Masonry is all about....

Your Brother,

Jason

There's a perception that Lowe's dropped due to the content, but couldn't it have been that no one watched the show? A .3 rating is under a million viewers. For the same money, they can get a couple of million viewers.

As someone posted on another board, Lowe's was one of the original sponsors - they went out on a limb, and without them the show probably wouldn't have ever happened. The network is most likely going to drop this show because it just doesn't hold people's interest.

If even half of the people who show outrage over this decision would watch the show (which doesn't cost them anything, but Lowe's still has to pay) then maybe Lowe's wouldn't be leaving.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
We understand the program raised concerns, complaints or issues from multiple sides of the viewer spectrum, which we found after doing research of news articles and blogs covering the show. We based our decision to pull the advertising on this research and after hearing the concerns we received through emails, calls, through social media and in news reports. - Lowes Spokesman
"Lowe's has received a significant amount of communication on this program, from every perspective possible. Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views. As a result we did pull our advertising on this program," the company said in a statement Saturday. "We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance."
Of course Russell Simmons doesn't like what Lowe's has done and has bought up the remaining advertising spots, saying "You keep your money Lowe's, we'll keep ours," and released the following statement himself:

"This can't happen in America. [Lowe's] needs to fix this immediately. They can't get away with that, it's ridiculous. There are American principals at stake here. I can't imagine the Anti-Defamation League, the Naacp, the National Urban League, or any organization that fights for their own rights will allow this to happen to any other group because they know they're next."
What I don't understand is what is wrong with what Lowe's did, honestly. If it feels that advertising on that program will not provide a good return on its investment due to low ratings, or if it feels like it is getting too much flak from it's consumers for advertising on the show, then why shouldn't it be allowed to pull it's advertisements? Lets say it got complaints for advertising on Toddlers and Tiaras, and elected to pull the advertisements for that program and released the same statements as above, it wouldn't be seen as a problem, would it? But because the program focuses on Muslim America, than all of a sudden it's motives are suspect? I think it was a business decision, nothing more and nothing less. That's just my humble opinion, and I am open to listening to replies from other people on the issue.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Brother Fireman,

I have not “called” you anything. I am simply pointing out what Masonry teaches. Brotherly Love applies “to the whole human species”, Brother. I am not suggesting that we condone the actions of anyone who wishes to harm others. Quite the contrary, as this would fly in the face of Relief which is a duty incumbent upon all men, but particularly Freemasons. The issue here is the assumption that all Muslims carry the same agenda. Masonry teaches you to practice Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth. If this is “PC” then perhaps I am not clear on the meaning of the term. The conditions for membership have no conflict with these tenets. We do not accept an atheist or libertine, but that does not mean that we treat them with any less Brotherly Love. I agree fully that tolerance is not acceptance, but find that to be irrelevant to the topic at hand. What is intolerable or unacceptable about a show centered around Muslims?

I thank you for your civility Brother. It is indeed rare, even among Masons, when men can disagree but do so in a civil manner. We certainly have differing views, but I respect your stance and look forward to gaining perspective from our continued discussion. The perspective I like to maintain in polarizing discussions like this comes from a quote from our Brother Voltaire.

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.”

I look forward to your response.

Your Brother,

Jason
I think it's more perception than assumption. Look at history, % of population of Muslims vs. their activity in the respective country.

I stand corrected on their motives. Thank you.

Of course Russell Simmons doesn't like what Lowe's has done and has bought up the remaining advertising spots, saying "You keep your money Lowe's, we'll keep ours," and released the following statement himself:

What I don't understand is what is wrong with what Lowe's did, honestly. If it feels that advertising on that program will not provide a good return on its investment due to low ratings, or if it feels like it is getting too much flak from it's consumers for advertising on the show, then why shouldn't it be allowed to pull it's advertisements? Lets say it got complaints for advertising on Toddlers and Tiaras, and elected to pull the advertisements for that program and released the same statements as above, it wouldn't be seen as a problem, would it? But because the program focuses on Muslim America, than all of a sudden it's motives are suspect? I think it was a business decision, nothing more and nothing less. That's just my humble opinion, and I am open to listening to replies from other people on the issue.