American Pickers 7/20/12

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Watching Pickers, they just bought an old chair from a Masonic Lodge, big, oak, leather padding, S&C, but the Square is above the Compasses? Anybody have some light on this?

Nathan Lunsford

SeeksEnlightenment
Is it all or just part of the square? the MM used to be represented by one part of the compass above the square opposite FC.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
It was all of the square, points of the compasses both below it. I thought perhaps it was the JW chair?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
According to a paper prepared by one of my lodge's PMs and read last week for Masonic Education, our familiar S&C design was unfamiliar even as late as George Washington's time, and when it did become commonly used, the letter G took a while to get inside it...but only in English speaking areas.
Just responding from what I recall Tom saying; I didn't know there would be a quiz! :D

S&F

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
W. Brother Tom gave me a link, and said he just printed it out and read some of the pages and paragraphs, skipping around:
www dot phoenixmasonry dot org slash the_g_in_masonrys_emblem.htm

I've read the first page or two and it seems informative. By the length of the article and the short attention span of my Lodge, I can understand WB Tom skipping over some of it.

S&F

DesertRacer

I remember seeing that episode quite some time ago. I was going to look into that myself but totally forgot about it. thanks for reminding me!

actv-lsnr

Hello Brothers. I hail from Scottish Rite Lodge in Northern Mexico.
In this jusrisdiction, both points of the compass in front the square is for EA. One point in front is for the FC and both points behind is for MM

Jorge Avila
W.:M.: Lodge General Nicolas Bravo #62
General Bravo, NL. Mexico

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Hello Brothers. I hail from Scottish Rite Lodge in Northern Mexico.
In this jusrisdiction, both points of the compass in front the square is for EA. One point in front is for the FC and both points behind is for MM

Jorge Avila
W.:M.: Lodge General Nicolas Bravo #62
General Bravo, NL. Mexico
Are you sure you described that correctly?

dajofa

Here in NY :

Here both points on top = MM
One above and one below = FC
Both below = EA

I believe this is universal within the Craft. I think Actv had a dyslecsic moment! No harm done.

Dave