Another thread to stir up trouble

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Comments in another thread (and some I have heard in my area) have gotten me to thinking . As I stated in another thread , I am one very busy member . I chose to except these offices , titles , committees , jobs etc; etc; of my own free will and accord and as I stated in the other thread , because I do not know what the word NO means .

Many in my area think that because I am a very active member I am a good Mason . Many think because they see me at just about every lodge function in my district that I am a good Mason . My answer to that is , "NO it does not !". I do these things because I chose too . Because my position in the Grand Lodge demands it , I knew the requirements before I accepted the job , and I will live up to the promise I made to the Grand Master . I knew being Master and High Priest in my second lodge and YR chapter would be demanding . I knew what was expected of me assuming the chair of president in this club and VP on that board . I knew I would be busy with all the committees I am on . I knew I would be busy conferring lectures and degrees in my lodge and other lodges who are struggling . But it all still does not make me a good Mason .

Truth is , I am no better a Mason than the brother who does not get out visit other lodges . I am no better than the Mason who has never sat in the chair line . I am no better than the Mason who does not attend lodge at all .

What I am is a cog in the machine that keeps this thing we call Freemasonry turning . I am a cog who sometimes dreads having to put on that suit and head out the door when it is cold and snowing/raining , who says Hi and Bye to my wife as she comes home from work and I am leaving for some far flung lodge . I am the cog who takes on the wrath of our members when they disagree with a decision/edict/resolution/rule the Grand Master hands down . I am a cog , a go between of the members and the Grand Master .I am a cog who runs the meetings . A cog who tries to add things such as education to the lodge to make it more interesting and hopefully enlighten the members .

What would make me a good Mason is living up to the principles of Masonry , by subduing my passions , by being the best husband , son , brother , neighbor I can be . By applying what is taught in the degrees of Freemasonry to my life . Yet I am human and I sometimes stumble , my ashlar is still rough . I will continue to work on those rough corners .... but will my ashlar ever be completely smooth ? Doubtful .

So what makes one a good Mason in your eyes ?

goomba

A good Mason is one who loves the Craft and serves to the best of his ability. For some that might be sweeping the fellowship hall after the meetings to others it might be hypothesizing the most minute detail on a Ivy League level.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I left out one vital part of my OP so I will go into now ......

The "WHY" of my statement about being very active still does not make one a good Mason .

Without going into details , I know many who have every degree and accolade that can be doled out to a Brother . Who are very active (seen every where) , but I would not call them good Masons . They are men who have written checks and rubbed elbows with all the right people , the type of person that once you got to know them , you would wonder to yourself "How did this man get past the West Gate !".

Goomba , I have not ignored your post .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I left out one vital part of my OP so I will go into now ......

The "WHY" of my statement about being very active still does not make one a good Mason .

Without going into details , I know many who have every degree and accolade that can be doled out to a Brother . Who are very active (seen every where) , but I would not call them good Masons . They are men who have written checks and rubbed elbows with all the right people , the type of person that once you got to know them , you would wonder to yourself "How did this man get past the West Gate !".

Goomba , I have not ignored your post .
I hear there is a field guide coming out on how to spot Ruffians.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Before a man receives his first degree in Massachusetts he is asked some formal questions. One of them is "Do you freely and voluntarily offer yourself a candidate for the mysteries of masonry due to a wish to be serviceable to your fellow creatures?" (that's not actually it, but you get the idea). I think you, Ashlar, and I have taken that desire to heart and have some very understanding wives.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Before a man receives his first degree in Massachusetts he is asked some formal questions. One of them is "Do you freely and voluntarily offer yourself a candidate for the mysteries of masonry due to a wish to be serviceable to your fellow creatures?" (that's not actually it, but you get the idea). I think you, Ashlar, and I have taken that desire to heart and have some very understanding wives.
She is very understanding , many wives would have divorced their husbands by now LOL .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
She used to do that , but now she is starting to get irritated . What I said in the other thread is no lie , we talked face to face TWICE the entire month . Her job had her working long hours with no days off , and when she got home I was at some lodge for stated meetings , degree work , officer installations , Christmas dinners , board meetings , club meetings etc; etc; . She was in bed when I got home , and I was in bed when she went to work . We were together Christmas day and St. Johns Officer Installation .

Take that back , I forgot Christmas Eve , we were together for a few hours that night . So I was wrong , it was THREE nights we actually got to talk face to face . If she knew what I have spent in gas in my travels , she WOULD divorce me !!!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
With my job , the 24" Gauge is thrown out the window .
If, at the end of your life, you can 'look' at your 24" gauge and see that it averaged out, you are doing better than most. It is still worth noting that wifes are like teeth, ignore them and they'll can go away.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If, at the end of your life, you can 'look' at your 24" gauge and see that it averaged out, you are doing better than most. It is still worth noting that wifes are like teeth, ignore them and they'll can go away.
When I was offered this position , the wife and I sat down and had a long talk about it , she knew what it was going to be like going into this . My visitations will be slowing down very soon . I have went like a mad man these first few months so I could slack off in the Spring and Summer .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
When I was offered this position , the wife and I sat down and had a long talk about it , she knew what it was going to be like going into this . My visitations will be slowing down very soon . I have went like a mad man these first few months so I could slack off in the Spring and Summer .
Sounds like she is a good woman and wife who supports her husband in his endeavors.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sounds like she is a good woman and wife who supports her husband in his endeavors.
Oh she is . Now I HAVE canceled out on a few lodges to be with her for certain things so I have not completely left her out in the cold . She understands what I am doing and why .