Are You supposed to keep your membership a secret?

littlecat123

I've seen people wearing rings with the Masonic symbol and I've seen people with a window decal but I never really hear anyone talk about being a Mason.

Are you supposed to keep it a secret that you are a member?

SageMother

There are somethings you aren't supposed to share, like the basic rituals. Some of the secrecy might be to avoid persecution.

SageMother

I've never heard of people being persecutory towards freemasons. Can you explain?
For a while there was a rumor going around that the masons controlled banking or government because of the symbol of the pyramid on the dollar bill. There are some people who find the ritual aspect too pagan or too "foreign" for their tastes. This all depends on where you live, of course. It's not a wide spread, deep seated attitude, but it is out there.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I've never heard of people being persecutory towards Freemasons. Can you explain?
Hitler believed that Masons and Jews where in league together. He [FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]persecuted them along with Jews. In fact, the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]U. S. Holocaust Memorial Museum has devoted a section to the Nazi persecution of Freemasonry. Masons had stopped using the famous Square and Compass as a sign in Germany during that period and use the Forget Me Not flower instead.

There are other less extreme examples. I have a friend in Greece who says there is great distrust there of Freemasons.
[/FONT][/FONT]

SageMother

Hitler believed that Masons and Jews where in league together. He [FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]persecuted them along with Jews. In fact, the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]U. S. Holocaust Memorial Museum has devoted a section to the Nazi persecution of Freemasonry. Masons had stopped using the famous Square and Compass as a sign in Germany during that period and use the Forget Me Not flower instead.

There are other less extreme examples. I have a friend in Greece who says there is great distrust there of Freemasons.
[/FONT][/FONT]
I hadn't been aware of Hitler's issues with the Freemasons. It seems he had problems with just about everyoneon the face of the earth!

littlecat123

I was also unaware that Hitler persecuted Freemasons. I was at the National Holocost Museum this past summer and completely missed the display on the Freemasons. I will have to specifically look for it next time I go.

ninikins

It appears to me that there are still many question marks in many zountries around the world when it comes to the freemasons. Hopefully places like this worum will help people to understand the movement better.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I was also unaware that Hitler persecuted Freemasons. I was at the National Holocost Museum this past summer and completely missed the display on the Freemasons. I will have to specifically look for it next time I go.
You will find it in the [FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Technology and Persecution section. A quote from that section:

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]As early as 1934, various government bureaus began to compile card catalogs identifying political and racial enemies of the regime, such as Freemasons, Jews, Gypsies, and ‘genetically diseased’ persons.[/FONT][/FONT]

SageMother

You will find it in the [FONT=verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Technology and Persecution section. A quote from that section:

[/FONT][/FONT]
It's amazing the number of enemies Hitler had to create to justify his actions. It should be a reminder to everyone to think before being led to believe groups of people are to be exterminated.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Are we supposed to keep it a secret?

I've seen people wearing rings with the Masonic symbol and I've seen people with a window decal but I never really hear anyone talk about being a Mason.

Golly! I hope not. I got rings, decals on my car and truck. Sometimes I wear a ball cap with my PM symbol on it, and a pin showing my Certified Lecturer I wear on other hats!

Talk about it??
I'll talk your arm off about it, if you ask me about my gentle craft!

S&F

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Golly! I hope not. I got rings, decals on my car and truck. Sometimes I wear a ball cap with my PM symbol on it, and a pin showing my Certified Lecturer I wear on other hats!

Talk about it??

S&F
Well I don't have as much as Bob but oh man if i had to hide it I'm outta luck. I'm clothed in my FB picture and have the stickers on both the cars. Talking off ears is another natuarl ability I seem to have to match some of the lecturers I've met. (hint hint).
I do however run into a occasional, OMG you're in a cult? You worship who? Why and what do you control? I enjoy breaking down preconcieved notions.:D

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer

Talk about it??

S&F
Oh, and a denim long sleeve shirt and a golf shirt with the S&C and my lodge name on them...

:D
S&F

pnr

I'm currently being questioned about it by a colleague that saw my ring. She keeps emailing me all these quotes about Masons being pagans, etc. She's stuck on the fact that we're not supposed to talk about religion and politics in lodge. She is a devout Christian that "wants to share her love of her Lord and Savior." I'm having trouble continuing to explain what I can without telling more than I should.

One problem is that I was on the fast track to being a MM. I was initiated in November then went to a day long ceremony in February with 30 other brothers where we received our 2nd degree in the morning, ate lunch, and then got our 3rd degree. That being said, I don't know as much as everyone else. I have spent my time, what little I have, reading other books to gain the knowledge that I lack.

G

Gary

I'm currently being questioned about it by a colleague that saw my ring. She keeps emailing me all these quotes about Masons being pagans, etc. She's stuck on the fact that we're not supposed to talk about religion and politics in lodge. She is a devout Christian that "wants to share her love of her Lord and Savior." I'm having trouble continuing to explain what I can without telling more than I should.

One problem is that I was on the fast track to being a MM. I was initiated in November then went to a day long ceremony in February with 30 other brothers where we received our 2nd degree in the morning, ate lunch, and then got our 3rd degree. That being said, I don't know as much as everyone else. I have spent my time, what little I have, reading other books to gain the knowledge that I lack.
Those "fast track" one day classes can certainly be a disadvantage as you have found out. I often wonder the point of them. Simply having a title of MM doesn't make one a MM if you don't have the knowledge to back it up.

I'd recommend that you get with an informed Brother and see if he will mentor you. Often times books can be confusing. I do however, strongly recommend Bro. Nagy's books. They will help you a great deal. Before you know it, you'll be well on your way with the WORK that needs to be done.

Having that knowledge will definitely help when you want to discuss the craft with others.

pnr

Those "fast track" one day classes can certainly be a disadvantage as you have found out. I often wonder the point of them. Simply having a title of MM doesn't make one a MM if you don't have the knowledge to back it up.

I'd recommend that you get with an informed Brother and see if he will mentor you. Often times books can be confusing. I do however, strongly recommend Bro. Nagy's books. They will help you a great deal. Before you know it, you'll be well on your way with the WORK that needs to be done.

Having that knowledge will definitely help when you want to discuss the craft with others.
I initially didn't want to do it but my WM convinced me because with the Maryland advertising program we are starting to get backlogged. Most of the teachers from my lodge retired so there are currently only 2 with a little over a dozen petitions. There were 7 of us that went through the class with others from the area.

G

Gary

I can understand that. It shouldn't be too hard to go back and re-examine each degree in greater detail. There are a lot of great gems in the ritual and symbolism. Start with the EA degree, and you'll be glad you did.

Coach Nagy's books help a lot with that because the address this sort of thing in a totally different way. His books are easy to understand, and are meant to be either read in whole, or used for greater contemplation on a given topic.

Like I said though, hopefully you can find a brother to help mentor you. I've done that, and I still find myself looking back at each degree for more wisdom.

Once you get rolling with it, it is a fun ride!

Azpir8king

I initially didn't want to do it but my WM convinced me because with the Maryland advertising program we are starting to get backlogged. Most of the teachers from my lodge retired so there are currently only 2 with a little over a dozen petitions. There were 7 of us that went through the class with others from the area.
deHoya and Morris have a great book called "is it true what they say about freemasonry" on amazon. It might be worth it to spend the $14 and give her her very own copy. I have a copy that I have dropped into a few hands myself.:cool:

pnr

I can understand that. It shouldn't be too hard to go back and re-examine each degree in greater detail. There are a lot of great gems in the ritual and symbolism. Start with the EA degree, and you'll be glad you did.

Coach Nagy's books help a lot with that because the address this sort of thing in a totally different way. His books are easy to understand, and are meant to be either read in whole, or used for greater contemplation on a given topic.

Like I said though, hopefully you can find a brother to help mentor you. I've done that, and I still find myself looking back at each degree for more wisdom.

Once you get rolling with it, it is a fun ride!
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I don't forsee a time in the near future that I would be able to obtain those books. I have a 2 yr. old with another on the way... :)

deHoya and Morris have a great book called "is it true what they say about freemasonry" on amazon. It might be worth it to spend the $14 and give her her very own copy. I have a copy that I have dropped into a few hands myself.:cool:
Thanks, I will try to check that out.

G

Gary

Tom, That is a great book for debunking the anti-mason propaganda.