Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I watched Avatar for the first time on HBO . I have never given this movie any thought as it is not my kind of movie , but I was bored . But I have to ask , is it just me or did James Camron rip off "Dances With Wolves" ?

As I watched it , I kept thinking to myself "I have seen this movie before " .

Winter

I've been here before
I didn't make the Dances with Wolves connection.

To me, it was just a remake of Ferngully! :eek:

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I saw the connection. I did not see the hype over the movie, but I'm getting old and grumpy I guess.

G

Gary

Well, from what gathered the hype was due to the CGI and effects that made the movie so visually spectacular. Not necessarily for the uniqueness of the story line.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
What's the old saying: "There's nothing new under the sun". I saw Avatar and was immediately reminded of Dances With Wolves, too. Of course, there were differences: Sigourney Weaver is much nicer to look at than Kevin Costner, for instance. ;)

TrowelTalk

I personally loved the movie. It was a good (although familiar story) and the visuals were nothing less than spectacular.

G

Gary

The effects were spectacular. Seeing it in HD was a treat for they eyes, but the story line was old hat, and sort of bored me.

I too thought, "Fern Gully" as opposed to "Dances with Wolves". It was a good movie though. The "Director's Cut" shows Earth before the protagonist goes to Eden. The was a little bit of "Firefly" in the movie too. For those of you who don't know "Firefly" was the television show that was the basis for the "Serenity" movie. IMHO, Firefly was the most original SF program ever. Too bad Fox decided to kill it and concentrate on the "tenny-bopper" shows.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
Its Pocahontas with Blue People...

No, no, no... its Pocahontas. That's why we all feel we've seen it before.