"breaking the news" to family?

SageMother

I think one of my uncles is a Freemason...Shriner. My family wouldn't be too worried about it. They had to grapple with my being Wiccan and they don't see the rituals or beliefs of Freemasonry to be pagan by any stretch of the imagination.

If I used the term "ritual magick" they would associate it with what I might do, not Freemasonry.

Shadow Wolff

my father is a freemason and i come from a long line of freemasons my father told me if i wanted to i should follow the family line but he told me i had to become a christian to join i am by no respect a christian hes a little upset that im pagan

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Shadow,
There is no religious requirements to join the freemasons. The only requirement is the you believe in a "Supreme Being". This is a fraternity wide requirement, and is stated on the petition you must sign.
Freemasonry, being a worldwide fraternity, individuals from all walks of life, as well as ALL religions are members.
The only masonic body that I am personally aware of that requires you to be a christian is the "Knights Templar" As these were the christian soldiers who were said to have vowed to protect the chalis and the scrolls of ancient.
If you elect to join the fraternity, you can speak with other members of the lodge you are wishing to become a member of.
Religious disputes are never suffered within the lodge, as religion is never discussed within the lodge. I will here remark however that every "Regular" stated meeting is started and ended with a prayer. This is for your information, I want to make sure that if you are devout in your "Pagan" religion, that it won't become a hardship for you.
Best of luck and keep us posted of your progress please.
Also, welcome the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Woods

I didn't tell my parents until after I was raised, as I was concerned of their comments. After I was raised, I called my dad and told him and he acted as though it were no different than any of our other conversations. After he realized how important it was to me, he offered a congratulations and that he's happy for me. Now, my mom, on the other hand, was a little different. She was exstatic. She asked a ton of questions and then led in to "I'm jealous." I laughed and told her that she couldn't be one and joked with her about it. Then I told her about OES. Before we got off the phone, she says to me that she understands that I couldn't answer a lot of her previous questions but she had one more that I HAD to answer no matter what. I told her I would try. She asks if during our "meetings" (I put that in quotes because she actually used the bunny ears version of putting something in quotes when speaking. LOL) if I was being hurt. After I laughed for a little while I told her that we actually have meetings and nothng more and no...I was never in any harm. My mom was very pleased that I was a Mason. I am the only one in my family to become a Mason and I couldn't be happier.

Woods

Aw man!!! No I didn't. I wish I would've thought about that. I could've played that one up real well. I would've had her REALLY concerned. LOL

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My family was all for it . They think the sun sets and rises on Freemasons and are shining examples of how men should act .

montanatburg

the news to family membes

There are a few freemasons in my mom's side of the family, so it was no big deal to tell them that i wanted to become a freemason, but, there is this one male cousin of mine, that thinks everything is a conspiracy theory. Most of us family members try to walk away when he gets into his mode. But it was one of my uncles that encouraged me to join. When my uncle and I get together, we go over the Q & A, jus to see if he can still remember it, he just got is 50 year award. I hope I can make it that far.:)

dewwby

Masonry has long been a part of my family. When I was installed as Master Councilor in DeMolay, my Great Grandfather (who was a 70+ year Mason at the time) presente me with my gavel. When I was raised, my father flew from Florida to Montana and was at the altar when I was obligated and also raised me.

I tihnk the news I had to break to my family was why it took me so long to become a Mason especially since I was so active in DeMolay. ;)

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Masonry has long been a part of my family. When I was installed as Master Councilor in DeMolay, my Great Grandfather (who was a 70+ year Mason at the time) presente me with my gavel. When I was raised, my father flew from Florida to Montana and was at the altar when I was obligated and also raised me.

I tihnk the news I had to break to my family was why it took me so long to become a Mason especially since I was so active in DeMolay. ;)
That is just awesome!! I was the second one in my family to become a mason. I was lucky enough to receive all 3 degree's from my father. Since then I am a past master twice over.

gunner391

My dad was a little concerned because he didn't understand, but now that he has talked with me and met several of my Brothers, he is actually considering petitioning!

gunner391

That is great! I love to hear about 50-year members! Amazing how you don't think about age when you talk with them, isn't it!

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Certainly is the truth gunner. We have several 50 yr members, even had one that was a 65 year member. Many don't think about the knowledge that is available if only they would sit down and chat!!

well after being in demolay for so many years the year i turned 18 and graduated from high school my grand lodge lowered the age to join the lodge to 18. me still having a wild hair u my rear end i decided to wait until i reached majority from the masonicc youth before i petitioned my lodge thanks to several brothers from another masonic forum who paid my fees and attended my third degree

bcnu

My oldest daughter asked if we were part of the Ilumnati and if we were still set to take over the world. I told her that I didn't really want it right now, maybe later lol.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
As for interesting reactions. One of my girl friend's (aka a friend who is female), Dad was a Mason and she has very negative impressions due to the secrecy of that generation. Another girl friend joked about joining that "cult" (with bunny ears), but she was pulling my leg. As best I cam tell I am the first Mason in my family and my in-law family too.