Can a Hindu be a Mason?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Kipling wrote of sitting in Lodge where men of diverse religions met in harmony.
In North Carolina, we ask if a man believes in "one" all powerful and ever loving god.

Hindus are polytheists, though from my contacts, a specific deity is followed/worshiped by a particular group, sect, or person.

Can a Hindu be a Mason, in your jurisdiction?

S&F

Winter

I've been here before
Actually Brother, Hinduism isn't actually polytheistic. The Hindis themselves tend to view the different G-ds as different aspects of the same G-d.

And it's mostly Westerners that feel a need to make this distinction. Hindis view different views on the matter as complimentary rather than contradictory.

So I would say, Yes, a Hindu can be a Freemason. But that's just me. :)

G

Gary

Actually Brother, Hinduism isn't actually polytheistic. The Hindis themselves tend to view the different G-ds as different aspects of the same G-d.

And it's mostly Westerners that feel a need to make this distinction. Hindis view different views on the matter as complimentary rather than contradictory.

You would likely be in the majority with your thought on this.

Winter

I've been here before
Shintoism is one of the most confusing religions I have ever encountered! It is such a mishmash of folk beliefs that there is no codified beliefs. I have no idea how I would make that determination except to say that if they are praying to Kami (spirits or dieties) or ancestors I don't see how we could view that as monotheistic.

As for Taoism, I'll have to go refresh my knowledge on them. As I recall, it is similar in form to Confucionism. But i can't remember. It's finals here and my mind is swiss cheese!

Btw, my double major here at the Univeristy of Wisconsin is Religious Studies!

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Shintoism is one of the most confusing religions I have ever encountered! It is such a mishmash of folk beliefs that there is no codified beliefs. I have no idea how I would make that determination except to say that if they are praying to Kami (spirits or dieties) or ancestors I don't see how we could view that as monotheistic.

As for Taoism, I'll have to go refresh my knowledge on them. As I recall, it is similar in form to Confucionism. But i can't remember. It's finals here and my mind is swiss cheese!

[url]http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm[/URL] :eek::D

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...

No, it's not just you, Winter. Hinduism, or at least many branches of Hinduism, have been recognized as eligible for inclusion in Masonry for a long, long time. You see, Hinduism is a collection of faiths all based on the Vedas. Some (one might be tempted to say, "many") of those faiths are monotheistic in that the various avatars are just subsets of Brahman. However, some Hindu faiths (Hindi, to be pedantic, is the name of a language, not a description of a people) are, indeed, polytheistic. However, these days, it is the rare Masonic jurisdiction that insists on monotheism as a requirement for membership.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I agree with that agreement.
How about Shintoism? Taoism?

Now here we come to the rub. Whether or not a Shinto, a Taoist, a Buddhist or a Hindu can become a Mason will depend entirely upon the jurisdiction you're talking about. In the California jurisdiction, or so I am assured, one must only profess a belief in a higher power to qualify for membership. So, any deist, or in fact, any member of Alcoholics Anonymous (whether a deist or not), would qualify for membership. I am also assured, by those that profess to know, that there are still jurisdictions (even in the USA) that require that a Mason must believe in a monotheistic G-d, and some that restrict membership to Trinitarian Christians who believe in a physical resurrection of the body. So, of course, in those jurisdictions a Shinto/Taoist/Buddhist/or Hindu would NOT qualify for membership. Although if they joined where they could, they could not be denied visitation on the basis of their faith alone.

Duncan1574

Now here we come to the rub. Whether or not a Shinto, a Taoist, a Buddhist or a Hindu can become a Mason will depend entirely upon the jurisdiction you're talking about. In the California jurisdiction, or so I am assured, one must only profess a belief in a higher power to qualify for membership. So, any deist, or in fact, any member of Alcoholics Anonymous (whether a deist or not), would qualify for membership. I am also assured, by those that profess to know, that there are still jurisdictions (even in the USA) that require that a Mason must believe in a monotheistic G-d, and some that restrict membership to Trinitarian Christians who believe in a physical resurrection of the body. So, of course, in those jurisdictions a Shinto/Taoist/Buddhist/or Hindu would NOT qualify for membership. Although if they joined where they could, they could not be denied visitation on the basis of their faith alone.
Bro. you used the term "deist". That means, in essence, that the GAOTU pushed the button, started the universe and walked away. I have long searched for a term to define my belief system and Deitist/Deist was one of those labels. I had to stop and think when I answered that question on my petition. All that rambling completed, in Wisconsin, we are still asking the question.

Getting back to basics, I have/had/& will know atheists & fundamentalists (i.e. both ends of the spectrum) that I wouldn't want as Brothers and many others that I would. When my time comes to vote on someone's membership, their petition will have been vetted and I can vote on thier character.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Bro. you used the term "deist". That means, in essence, that the GAOTU pushed the button, started the universe and walked away. I have long searched for a term to define my belief system and Deitist/Deist was one of those labels. I had to stop and think when I answered that question on my petition. All that rambling completed, in Wisconsin, we are still asking the question.

Getting back to basics, I have/had/& will know atheists & fundamentalists (i.e. both ends of the spectrum) that I wouldn't want as Brothers and many others that I would. When my time comes to vote on someone's membership, their petition will have been vetted and I can vote on thier character.
Well, I'll have to differ with you, if for no other reason than to continue the debate. Deism, definitionally, only means a belief in G-d. It does not necessarily mean
that the GAOTU pushed the button, started the universe and walked away.
G-d is only defined by how you find him/her/them/it. Now also here in Wisconsin, my brother, there are Wiccans, etc. who are members of our fraternity (or so I am told ... I never ask what faith a member holds, unless I am on the interview committee and must). That you profess a belief in deity is the key here in Wisconsin. I'm told the rules are different elsewhere.

Duncan1574

Well, I'll have to differ with you, if for no other reason than to continue the debate. Deism, definitionally, only means a belief in G-d. It does not necessarily mean G-d is only defined by how you find him/her/them/it. Now also here in Wisconsin, my brother, there are Wiccans, etc. who are members of our fraternity (or so I am told ... I never ask what faith a member holds, unless I am on the interview committee and must). That you profess a belief in deity is the key here in Wisconsin. I'm told the rules are different elsewhere.
I agree, my point was that it is A deity, not multiples. Wiccans believe on one deity with two facets, just as Christians have three facets to thier's. I re-re-read the Deist definition and I stand corrected. ::genuflects::

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I have a Hindu friend who has talked about joining. I talked to a few PM's and other members of my Lodge and told it is not a problem. However, I've also heard some older members say some stuff that would make me think twice about putting his application in at my Lodge, and would bring it to a different Lodge.

Just my $.02. If you want to give back some change, I will understand.

Duncan1574

I have a Hindu friend who has talked about joining. I talked to a few PM's and other members of my Lodge and told it is not a problem. However, I've also heard some older members say some stuff that would make me think twice about putting his application in at my Lodge, and would bring it to a different Lodge.

Just my $.02. If you want to give back some change, I will understand.
Ah, old age, that time when mind and waist exchange places...

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Ah, old age, that time when mind and waist exchange places...
Well our Lodge area has one town/section that is very prejudiced. Thankfully we do not have a whole lot of them in our Lodge, but there is still some religious prejudice there. I still hear some stuff about me bringing him to the Installation of Officers a few years back (2006 I think it was), although they tend to forget it was me that brought it. But I hear once and a while about the Hindu that came to Lodge this one time....

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Well our Lodge area has one town/section that is very prejudiced. Thankfully we do not have a whole lot of them in our Lodge, but there is still some religious prejudice there. I still hear some stuff about me bringing him to the Installation of Officers a few years back (2006 I think it was), although they tend to forget it was me that brought it. But I hear once and a while about the Hindu that came to Lodge this one time....
We all have a long way to go, Jason, and at the end it will still not be a perfect world. Keep fighting the good fight.

Squirrels are just rats with a very good PR firm.......:D........not to mention that it is so cold here that I saw a penguin wearing a coat

Duncan1574

Squirrels are just rats with a very good PR firm.......:D........not to mention that it is so cold here that I saw a penguin wearing a coat
Squirrels are tree rats..

Its so cold here that I just saw a witch carrying a brass monkey heading south :D