can ex-felons be masons?

konflikt

I have a felony on my record can I still be a mason? I have read on this and I guess different lodges have different rules. I went to a lodge and was told that I couldnt have a felony on my record. Is this a set in stone rule?

I have a felony on my record can I still be a mason? I have read on this and I guess different lodges have different rules. I went to a lodge and was told that I couldnt have a felony on my record. Is this a set in stone rule?
NOPE..... it varies from Grand Lodge to Grand Lodge and even down to individual lodges.... BUT ALWAYS be HONEST..... remember, if you lie, your sins will find you out....it is always best to tell them in advance.

Winter

I've been here before
As mentioned, it depends where you are. I know in my home jurisdiction in Wisconsin it would keep you out without serious extraneous circumstances.

i'm sure that in iowa, if you have a felony on your record, than you wouldn't be able to join. as far as your home state, i'm not sure.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Even in a jurisdiction that does not uniformly exclude felons, it will be a steep uphill battle! You must prove that you are no longer the man who committed the crime, that you have truly rehabilitated yourself and would be a treasure to the Craft.
In NC (AF&AM), you must have completed all requirements of the courts-whether probation, imprisonment, parole, restitution, to be considered a "free man." That is just the FIRST step. Your life, actions, and words must be exemplary, but there may still be brethren who feel that you should never be accepted.
Good luck, my friend. The bar is high, but you can reach it.

S&F

G

Gary

Having all of your civil rights restored is one of the conditions for even being considered for the fraternity in Florida.

FF Sparky

I had a bad history, all but one was motor vehicle stuff but still bad. I explained it to my investigative committee. Told then it was in my earlier years and I have grown up since then. They understood, and gave me a good recommendation. So depending on the Lodge, It may not hurt you as long as your honest.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I am just glad that the 'stuff' in my background is covered by the witnes..., oh wait I can't talk about that... :D

AngelicHuman

Im not a mason but im sure that being an Ex Felon doesnt look good. I guess it depends on what you did too. Some people get charged with a felony for the stupidest things.

If your charge including multiple rapes and beating down a helpless old lady for her purse, then im pretty sure i wouldnt want you joining my lodge either. but thats extreme what do i know lol

Bluetemplar

Felony

I know in Pennsylvania no you can't. Even if some Lodges may let you in be ready for it to come out eventually. Felony convictions are public record in most states so anyone doing a serious background on you is going to find out. Lodges also have a diverse membership, that includes police, public servants, lawyers etc who even casually come into contact with that kind of information on a daily basis.

Freemasonry is not the best fit for those on the other side of the law.

FF Sparky

As Hamlet said (and you may know from other places) "from whose Bourne no traveler returns". Why can't a person who may have redeemed himself be worthy of becoming a member?

'Bourne' having many definitions, boundary, river, line, could be the line in his life that he crossed from bad to good. How long does one have to live with a bad choice? I had bad credit but I fixed that.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
As Hamlet said (and you may know from other places) "from whose Bourne no traveler returns". Why can't a person who may have redeemed himself be worthy of becoming a member?

'Bourne' having many definitions, boundary, river, line, could be the line in his life that he crossed from bad to good. How long does one have to live with a bad choice? I had bad credit but I fixed that.
If the felony has been expunged, and or all of your civil rights have been restored, the person wanting to petition can apply and be considered by some jurisdictions. Active felony convictions can't because you are still a convicted felon in the courts eyes.

If the felony has been expunged, and or all of your civil rights have been restored, the person wanting to petition can apply and be considered by some jurisdictions. Active felony convictions can't because you are still a convicted felon in the courts eyes.
AND...if you are in jail or probation.... you are not a free man.....

edwmax

I don't have any thing really add to above comments, other than in many GLs 'ex'-felons, free of ALL restraints, and have redeemed themselves to be good & upright are allowed to petition. Most times it is the Members of the Lodge that will say no. So you should seek the advice and support of a close friend & Freemason if you want to petition for the degrees. ... I know a Lodge close to my area that has 5 ex-felons as members, but that is another story

FF Sparky

AND...if you are in jail or probation.... you are not a free man.....
I agree with the probation and not being a free man, Jail? I dont think they have Lodge in jail....lol. But if the crime was in the past(Capital and violent crimes excluded, I'm sure others too) I dont see a problem if they truely redeemed them selves.

thebrianmo

While I believe that a felon can certainly be redeemed and become a different person and contribute positively to their family, society and even their church, I know that Ohio will not allow someone to become a Mason who has a felony record, regardless of their character today.