Can the leopard his spots?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
As the saying goes "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?"

What are your thoughts? Can one change one's essential nature?

CoachN

Builder Builder
What I find is that most character is veiled and it is our task in life to remove those veils.

Does this mean we are changing our character by this unveiling or merely revealing its true nature for what it is?

Zack

I don't think "unveiling" is changing our character but
without "unveiling", taking inventory so to speak, how can one know if change is needed or desired?

FF Sparky

I dont think we are "unveiling" either or changing skin in Masonry more like remolding like clay. we are learning to reshape ourselves. Chipping away

Winter

I've been here before
Masonry says, "YES!"
otherwise, there would be no point...
S&F
I thought the purpose of Freemasonry was to take men who are already good by nature and make them better. Basically reinforcing and strengthening the nature of the man that is already present.

Where does Freemasonry say that we are here to turn peoples lives around or change their nature from a negative to a positive? And why would there be no point if we exist only to attract already good and decent men and make them better?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I thought the purpose of Freemasonry was to take men who are already good by nature and make them better. Basically reinforcing and strengthening the nature of the man that is already present.

Where does Freemasonry say that we are here to turn peoples lives around or change their nature from a negative to a positive? And why would there be no point if we exist only to attract already good and decent men and make them better?
The Perfect Ashlar started as a rough stone.
Masonry can always improve the man who is WILLING to change.
If only perfect men could join, those with nothing to change, it would be unneeded.

S&F