Cause For Concern?

thebrianmo

At Lodge Tuesday night the WM was planning future meetings and reminded everyone that I would be raised to MM next month. He then proceeded to ask me if I had any back or heart problems with specific regard to that night, to which I answered that I do.

I want to enjoy and appreciate each stage of this process and therefore I am not looking up what goes on during the MM ceremony and I am not asking anyone to reveal anything about the process because as a FC there are things I am not entitled to know yet.

However, I do live with Congestive Heart Failure and so being asked that question did cause an alarm to go off within me.

From having been through the EA and FC I know that I was safe at all times and never in any actual danger; do I have a need to be concerned for my physical health and safety?

I'd much rather enjoy the process rather than being filled with anxiety about it.

Thanks for sharing what you are able to share without violating your OB.

Winter

I've been here before
I've never seen that actual question posed. It is, however, valid. And I would recommed you discuss it with your WM.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Masonry is about succeeding, your Brothers would not knowingly put you in danger of physical injury or worst. Therefore the WM's question is a valid one.
One of my Brother's father was Raised and they "made accomidations for him".
Ask your WM, he will be a true Brother and work it out for you.

Zack

By all means let your WM know of any health/physical problems.
I would have asked before your EA.

bossman1220

I am a large man with back problems myself. I was raised to MM this past Saturday night, and my WM and brothers made accomodations for me due to this. By all means, advise your WM days in advance of your raising so they can be prepared.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Last week , I helped put on a FC degree in a neighboring lodge , the candidate has arthritis in his knees and ankles and has trouble walking so while I delivered the Staircase Lecture , I asked the Master of the lodge if it would be Ok if I pulled up a chair for the candidate and have him sit and just listen to me , which he said was fine .

We will make the candidate as comfortable as we possibly can .

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
Just talk to the boss (WM). Also, remember everyone MM on here and in the room as been through it with no injury. Its fun, and I doubt that your heart condition will be aggrivated as a result of the degree, but I am not doctor.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I have a condition with my knees that makes it extremely painful for me to kneel for more than a few minutes. I had sweat pouring out of me during the EA Obligation. After the FC Ritual, I finally realized how stupid I was being by not letting my brothers know why I was in such pain. For my MM degree, I was delighted to find a nice soft pillow at the alter and a brother reminding me that I could get up and sit in the chair he had brought behind me at the first sign of pain. The only shame I experienced was not trusting my brothers enough to let them know about the problem sooner.

The question about your heart and back is a valid one but only to the point that they be aware of it. You have nothing to fear from your brothers and they would never hurt you intentionally or by inaction. Just be honest so they know how to handle the situation.

edwmax

I've never hear that asked in the Lodge. So I'm inclined to think the WM was just funning you. Now since you have put him on notice, I'm sure they will work this out. Be sure to remind the WM you do have a problem.

Winter

I've been here before
He obviously wasn't funning him, since it is a valid concern where the Third Degree is concerned.

thebrianmo

Thank you everyone for your comments. I am going to speak to the WM prior to the Lodge practicing the MM degree, which they will do on Feb. 1. I consider him a friend and I don't expect it to be a big deal.

When I did the EA I willingly knelt at the altar but when they saw my difficulty getting up, they used a chair the second time and then also for the FC. I trust these brothers immensely and I know they only have my best in mind.

Good call Brother. I was at an initiation last year where the candidate had just had knee surgery and so he couldn't kneel. He spoke to the master and the master said it was fine for him to stand while giving his obligation.

I know it may seem a touch scary but just talk to the Master or your mentor and everything will be OK. I remember when I was initiated, for some reason I was scared to cough so i held it in all night and I had tears pouring down my face from holding the cough in...stupid, I know!

The question your master asked is valid, you should be thankfull that he bothered asking...

Good luck with your raising!

YES let them know....the pure excitement can cause your heart to race....and if they know, they can keep a watchful eye on you....this is an exciting time for all involved ...we and they are just as excited for you as you will be for yourself....Remember what was told to you in your EA about your guide.....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
We have had several Brothers go through we needed to make arrangements for. Nothing to fear though.

Duncan1574

This is what I know,
1. my Brothers would not, knowingly, put me in danger.
2. every Master Mason, since 1717, has gone through the MM ritual
3. if I die, I will be afforded a Master Mason's funeral, attended by my Brothers :D

Even or so, I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to 02/21/2011

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
This is what I know,
1. my Brothers would not, knowingly, put me in danger.
2. every Master Mason, since 1717, has gone through the MM ritual
3. if I die, I will be afforded a Master Mason's funeral, attended by my Brothers :D

Even or so, I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to 02/21/2010
Going to have to wait a few more life times for it to come back around. Sorry could not resit.

Duncan1574

Going to have to wait a few more life times for it to come back around. Sorry could not resit.
Not if you follow the Freemason calendar.
If 1717 is year 0, such that we divide everything in to B.F.M. and A.F.M, before and after Freemasonry, then this is only 294 A.F.M. but seeing as I am immortal 02/21/2010 is only a few of you mortals lifetimes away. ::INSERT insidious laughter here::