cowan and profane???

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Profane merely means one who is not among the initiated .

And Cowan is someone who claims to be a Freemason who is not . An interloper or pretender .

I , personally do not use the term "profane" , I use the term non-Mason . As for cowan , if you are not pretending to be a Freemason , then there is no reason to be offended . You would be surprised at how many come to these forums telling us they are Freemasons when in reality they are not .

We find it more offensive when a person tries to pass themselves off as one of us , than we using the term "cowan" . We worked hard for the the title of Master Mason and do not like it when someone claims to be one who has not put in the work .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
What exactly do these mean??? Does this describe me, as a non-Mason??? It sounds offensive... :eek:
There is eavesdroppers as well, which refers to spies.

"Cowan" is believed to be an old Scott1sh word. The origin or beginning of this word is unknown. The term "cowan" used by the Scots was meant to mean, "A Mason without the word; the apprentice who tries to masquerade as a Master". A more modern usage is defined as "an ignorant mason who places or lays stones together without mortar, or piles them together into a wall without working them square and true".
The “eavesdropper" in ancient times was a would be thief of secrets who listened under the eaves of houses (there was often a space between the wall and roof for ventilation).
Because to hear, he had to get close to the wall under the eaves, he received the droppings from the roof if it rained - hence, eavesdropper.
In modern times, he is the man who forges a good-standing dues card,. or finds one and masquerades as its owner; the man who has read a so-called "expose" of Freemasonry and tries to get into a lodge. He is very rare, and few Tilers have ever met him! The "cowan", however, is the Fellowcraft or Entered Apprentice stopped for cause, the one-time member in good standing who is now dropped for one cause or another.
These not infrequently try to pass.the Tiler. (The 3 minute Mason)

FF Sparky

There is eavesdroppers as well, which refers to spies.

"Cowan" is believed to be an old Scott1sh word. The origin or beginning of this word is unknown. The term "cowan" used by the Scots was meant to mean, "A Mason without the word; the apprentice who tries to masquerade as a Master". A more modern usage is defined as "an ignorant mason who places or lays stones together without mortar, or piles them together into a wall without working them square and true".
The “eavesdropper" in ancient times was a would be thief of secrets who listened under the eaves of houses (there was often a space between the wall and roof for ventilation).
Because to hear, he had to get close to the wall under the eaves, he received the droppings from the roof if it rained - hence, eavesdropper.
In modern times, he is the man who forges a good-standing dues card,. or finds one and masquerades as its owner; the man who has read a so-called "expose" of Freemasonry and tries to get into a lodge. He is very rare, and few Tilers have ever met him! The "cowan", however, is the Fellowcraft or Entered Apprentice stopped for cause, the one-time member in good standing who is now dropped for one cause or another.
These not infrequently try to pass.the Tiler. (The 3 minute Mason)
The 3 minute Mason??

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Profane is an old term merely meaning 'outside of the temple.'
If something is within the temple, it is pure, holy, initiated.
If it is profane, it is not within the temple, i.e., profane language would not be appropriate verbage in the temple!

S&F

jmansephus

aha!! I thank you all for your insight!! I am neither a cowan nor profane, so I take no offense :p I am currently in the process of writing my two local Lodges for further information. I'm really excited!!! Again, I thank you all

Winter

I've been here before
aha!! I thank you all for your insight!! I am neither a cowan nor profane, so I take no offense :p I am currently in the process of writing my two local Lodges for further information. I'm really excited!!! Again, I thank you all
Well, actually, you are still profane. But it's not an insult. It merely means you have not been initiated into the temple or received the attendant knowledge. Once you go through your initiation, assuming all goes well with your petition process, you will no longer be among the profane.

jmansephus

Well, actually, you are still profane. But it's not an insult. It merely means you have not been initiated into the temple or received the attendant knowledge. Once you go through your initiation, assuming all goes well with your petition process, you will no longer be among the profane.
Ok, now I get it! Upon re-reading everyone's responses (thank you again), it was all too appearent, I should've seen that!
I am profane, but I'm striving towards non profanity! I tend to have some-what high anxiety, so I'm taking this process as 'if I'm ready, it will happen'.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Masonry is filled with language that may sound strange to today's ears. Much of it is simply looking to our past. The top guy in the Lodge is called the Worshipful Master. He is not worshiped but is respected for the work he did to get where he is. It usually takes seven years to become Master of a Lodge. "Worshipful" is simply an old English term of respect.

We also use the term "cowan" to refer to a fake mason. We distinguish cowans from masons by "trying" them. We ask them questions only a Mason would know the answer to.