Crown of Serpents - mystery thriller - author interview

Michael Karpovage

Author, Crown of Serpents
Hello Brothers,

Michael Karpovage, author of Crown of Serpents, appeared live in a radio interview on July 1, 2010 with Chris Wakefield's Into the Night program out of Harvey, ND broadcast on KHND1470.

Click here for interview link: “The Mix” 1470 KHND Radio Blog Archive ITN July 1 Michael Karpovage

Crown of Serpents is about a military historian who unlocks Masonic clues encrypted in a Revolutionary War journal and races to find an ancient Iroquois crown while fighting off the henchmen of a billionaire collector who claims hereditary rights to the artifact.

S&F,

Michael

Hobasco Lodge No. 716, Ithaca, NY

lightning

When I fix my computers audio system, I'll give it a listen. It sounds like a very good plot. I'm sure he's a very interesting person.

Winter

I've been here before
I just finished reading Crown of Serpents and figured I would just revive this thread instead of creating a new one for my review. I'll try not to include too many spoilers.

First off, I just want to say congratulations to Brother Karpovage for getting his book published. That can be a daunting task for a new author these days.

The book includes a fair amount of history included in it, mainly centered around the period of the Revolutionary War as well as much about the history and current political currents of the Native Americans in the Northeast United States. I am a big fan of books that include this element, blending a creative story with historical facts. "Faction" if you will!

The story itself has potential but unfortunately starts off extremely slow. There was really very little early on in the novel to grab my attention or to make me feel interested in the characters themselves. The story picks up later on, but there were really no surprises and even some subplots that felt to be very unconnected as in the arsonist.

The Masonic element of the story has very little to do with it. The main character is a Mason, yet whenever he encounters any Masonic connections to the plot he says little or nothing about it. The famous pigpen cipher is used in the story yet the main character doesn't recognize it. I'd be surprised if any Masons were unaware of it after books like the DaVinci Code and all of History Channel's exposes! It is even used on the third degree tracing board for my Lodge. The main character is a Major in the US Army and in the book he wears the S&C on his dress uniform. Having been a Mason while serving in the US Army I can tell you this is a huge NO NO. Not done. The most we could get away with was a drawn S&C underneath our patrol cap and we could wear our ring while in garrison.

The technical aspects needed more work. I know, I know, it's just minor technical details, but those really annoy me sometimes. Fight scenes just did not work out for me as accurate descriptions of physical combat. Much more research was needed into the workings of firearms and grenades. Particularly the effect of an explosion in a confined space that does severe auditory and vestibular damage.

Overall I would have to give the book 2 1/2 to 3 stars out of 5 at the most. I'm happy you got your book published Brother Michael and I hope my review is taken for the constructive criticism it truly is.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ah , crap , I don't own a Nook .

On a side note , you can lend digital/e-books from one device to another ? That's cool if it so .

Winter

I've been here before
Ah , crap , I don't own a Nook .

On a side note , you can lend digital/e-books from one device to another ? That's cool if it so .
Yup, you can lend andswap books with other Nook users.

Lend and Borrow Books
Swapping books with friends has always been a part of reading and NOOK Friends™ makes it even easier and more fun. Finished a book that you absolutely loved? Share it with a friend with NOOK’s exclusive LendMe™ so they can enjoy it, too! Or if you’re looking for your next read, you can see what LendMe™ books your NOOK Friends™ have available. After all, that’s what friends are for.

G

Gary

I've got it on Nook. Not sure how the LendMe feature works though.
Ashlar could always download the FREE Nook reader, and you could loan it to him that way. The LendMe feature is easy to use. At least that's what my wife says. She has a Nook.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I just wanted to read this . It has been on my list for a while but keeps getting pushed back on the back burner .

Michael Karpovage

Review Feedback

Hi Winter,

I thank you for your constructive criticism review on Crown of Serpents. Was hoping to get a better rating than the 3-stars of course but I respect your feedback. Been consistently getting a bunch of 5-star ratings so I wanted to touch on a few items you spoke of so new readers would get a better sense of the approach of the book.

1. The story starts off with a bang actually....in the middle of a brutal battle in 1779 with hand to hand combat - with our true historical Masonic character. And then the first chapter jumps to the present day with the main character Jake Tununda coming upon a dead body in a well. This was done intentionally to "grab" the reader's attention. After that the story does slow down to give the reader a breath or pause from action, to absorb historical information, to get the lay of the land, and to establish characters. It's sort of the pulse of the book. It's deliberate. I escalate the levels of violence and action throughout the plot but then give pause to spreading historical information via dialogue.

2. The Masonic element deliberately again does not have much to do with the story. I wanted my novel to not be an exposé on Freemasonry but rather to be attractive to a mainstream audience (as well as Masons) where the main character and the plot happen to have subtle Masonic elements worked into the story. Sort of like the movie National Treasure. I've had women as old as 92 read this book and loved it! I'm sorry you were hoping for more Freemasonry aspects but I already knew that Dan Brown was coming out with The Lost Symbol which is ALL about Freemasonry in a fiction genre.

3. Crown of Serpents launched in April of 2009. The Lost Symbol - which uses the Freemason pigpen cipher - came out in Sept. 2009. So, I actually trumped Dan Brown on that one!! But honestly, when I became a Mason myself in 2005 I was NOT taught about that cipher in our history. It never came up. It wasn't in my Lodges trace board unlike yours. And I hadn't seen it on any History Channel documentaries prior to that. So, as a new Mason - just like the main character in the book - I too was surprised to learn of it and I reflected that emotion in the plot. It was also used to show human character flaws too - that our guy doesn't know everything.

4. The Masonic lapel pin is a mistake! I was also told this by another Army officer that this is a no-no on Army Class A Uniforms. So, I do acknowledge that. But hey, I suppose I can use it for advantage though and say Jake Tununda deliberately did that as an act of protest against government regulations. Heck, I'll probably do it again in the next novel but explain why this time. Maybe even have him get in trouble for it.

5. Technical aspects do need more work. I did consult with Troopers, SWAT team members and others in the military on some aspects. But you have to approach books of this genre as being escapism for entertainment purposes. I didn't want to go off for 100 pages like Tom Clancy does on how a nuclear warhead is manufactured. I just want the bang of a grenade. So again, don't so much get into the minor details left out but enjoy the scenes for entertainment value.

6. You know how Clive Cussler writes himself into his novels.....well here's a little "reveal" that ya'll will enjoy. I wrote myself into one of the opening scenes. I am the volunteer fire captain in the red helmet who bitches at the overweight volunteer redneck character. I was a volunteer firefighter myself...in Seneca Co. in fact.. where the book's main setting takes place. So, a little fun too!

Winter, thanks again for your review and constructive criticism. As a new emerging author I take feedback like this and will apply it to the next book. I've been getting demands by readers of Crown of Serpents that they want that next Jake Tununda adventure soon too!!! I've been steadily doing research into Civil War battlefield events - one of which involves a supposed Masonic cease-fire at the Battle of Kennesaw Mtn. and also a true Masonic rescue of a Cherokee Indian family in the 1820s. My next book will be set here in GA and Atlanta and I'm going to tap into the very popular history of the Civil War. And again I'll be playing off of Masonic elements and peppering the next book throughout with those subtleties but it will still be an "Indiana Jones meets The Godfather" type of storyline.

By the way, that 1470 link I originally posted is dead. Here is a new YouTube link (Part 1 of 2) for an interview by a former military man on the Combat Radio Network and I do believe he even points out the mistake of the Masonic lapel pin. Go to:

Crown of Serpents Interview with CRN Part 1 of 2 - YouTube

And he talks about toilet reading too!!!

Best Regards,

Michael Karpovage

Want some good masonic Civil War connections??? Look into General John Morgan and Vesailles #7 GL of Indiana F&AM......
Fireman99, I remember you told me the details about Morgan's story with the Lodge items. Was pretty wild. But I'm looking for Masonic stories directly tied into GA during Sherman's Atlanta Campaign?

Right now, the best story I'm chasing is a rumor/myth I'm trying to prove it false or true on what happened at the Dead Angle cease fire on the battlefield at Kennesaw Mtn. An old Civil War history buff and Mason told me that it was a because the Masonic hail sign was observed, but so far I cannot find a primary source for this story. And the old Mason didn't know his source either. Here's the gist of what I'm looking for...on the Freemason Hall post from a while back.

http://www.freemasonhall.com/community/t2304/