Failing initiation test

27th Aquarius

Ok to make a long story short....

I've traveled a lot, all over Europe, Greece, Turkey and all over Egypt. When I came back from Egypt I started researching a lot and got interested in freemasons and ancient history.

One day after my step dad retired from being a police officer we were having dinner celebrating my grandmothers birthday. For some reason the topic of religion came up and he was testing me to see if I believed in God and thought I had a soul. My entire life I always thought no but about a year before this I found God. I said yes I believe and then we went back home which was brand new...they had just bought a new house. It was a pretty special day and everything was going good.

Then...my uncle came who is also my Godfather. I haven't seen or been close to him in a very long time, since I was a kid. I'm 28 now and it was the first time he saw me as a man. When he got there I pretty much froze up and didn't know what to say or what to do so I left without saying a word...he sat at the table I was at and then I just left. Biggest and only regret of my life. I mean I feel like I didn't graduate to manhood by facing this.

I felt like I walked out on God himself since it was the first time we were united under God as a family and I ruined it. After, I found out both my stepdad and uncle are masons and that was my invitation but obviously I'm not worthy.

Its been 15 months since then and I recently spoke to my grandmother about gathering everyone so I can speak with them. I tried to wait for it to happen naturally but I just can't wait anymore.

My question is am I still able to become a mason even after I did the worst thing ever? I mean I feel like I walked out on God himself and my family on what should have been a very beautiful day.

I want nothing more then to be a mason...for life! I'm really interested in it and feel like its perfect for me.

Winter

I've been here before
First off, you don't get invited to be a Mason, it has to be a desire on your part. And if you feel that you want to be a part of this Fraternity then you can still proceed.

They may have been feeling you out to see if you would be a fit. It seems like you have made some changes in your life. Belief in a singular Deity and the immortality of the soul is a prime requisite.

As for "walking out on G-d", I don't know that you need to beat yourself up that much. Sounds more like you just felt you were in over your head and panicked and bolted. Pretty basic human fight or flight response. If you want my opinion, you obviously care about what they think and want to approach them about joining the Freemasons, so give them a call and be upfront with them that you'd like to talk to them about Masonry.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

27th Aquarius

Thanks, I'm planning a BBQ for labor day weekend so we'll see what happens. Hopefully everything works out and I'll be a regular on these boards.

FF Sparky

Like Brother Bob said, they may have been feeling you out. Ask them about Freemasonry and how to join. Put the ball in your court by starting the conversation. I'm sure they will be open and informative about it. You have to have a belief in the Supreme Being, I dont think you walked out on God either. I know how family can be.

Plus by joining the Fraternity, you will become closer to your Uncle again.

27th Aquarius

Spoke with everyone and we're meeting this weekend. I'm gonna spill my guts about a lot of stuff...a full confession of things in the past. Hopefully everything works out and I can be included in the mysteries of masonry.

27th Aquarius

Ok, so we couldn't get together this weekend but I told my grandmother some of the story and now they really want to hear it. Hopefully this weekend it'll be.

27th Aquarius

Well...no one has met yet so I'm just writing a mini book for everyone and will hand it out in about a week.

I just have one more question...in certain lodges and groups of Masons do they recruit members to join? Once they try to recruit someone and they fail is it possible to get another chance?

Thank you!

G

Gary

As a rule we don't recruit. In Florida we are allowed to ask once. In Mass., they have an advertisement campaign to educate men about the fraternity. Men are encouraged to join of their own free will.

I don't know if your particular situation would be considered a failure or not. You really need to talk with the Worshipful Master about that.

G

Gary

No. The question can be asked by a Mason once. You either want to do join, or you don't. After that, it's up to you to ask and show interest in following through with your petition.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Well...no one has met yet so I'm just writing a mini book for everyone and will hand it out in about a week.

I just have one more question...in certain lodges and groups of Masons do they recruit members to join? Once they try to recruit someone and they fail is it possible to get another chance?

Thank you!
In Massachusetts, we are encouraged to suggest to a worthy man that he could choose to join us. It's a fine distinction. We can't "recruit" but we can offer the choice of joining. It still has to be of the man's own free will and accord.

Many clandestine "masonic" organizations actively recruit new members. Some have approached me, which I find particularly amusing.