Famous Freemasons

littlecat123

I found this list of Famous Freemasons. Can anyone add to it?

George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Ronald Reagan (conferred title of "Honorary Scottish Rite Mason")
Benjamin Franklin
Paul Revere
Winston Churchill
John Jacob Astor
Henry Ford
Walter P. Chrysler
Ransom E. Olds
James C. Penney
David Sarnoff
Louis B. Meyer
Darryl F. Zanuck
W.C. Fields
Douglas Fairbanks Sr.
Clark Gable
Oliver Hardy
John Wayne
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
John Philip Sousa
Irving Berlin
George M. Cohen
Harry Houdini
Charles Lindbergh
John Glenn

Alexanderx

I found this list of Famous Freemasons. Can anyone add to it?

George Washington
Theodore Roosevelt
Harry S. Truman
Ronald Reagan (conferred title of "Honorary Scottish Rite Mason")
Benjamin Franklin
Paul Revere
Winston Churchill
John Jacob Astor
Henry Ford
Walter P. Chrysler
Ransom E. Olds
James C. Penney
David Sarnoff
Louis B. Meyer
Darryl F. Zanuck
W.C. Fields
Douglas Fairbanks Sr.
Clark Gable
Oliver Hardy
John Wayne
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
John Philip Sousa
Irving Berlin
George M. Cohen
Harry Houdini
Charles Lindbergh
John Glenn
Pretty good list here:
List of Freemasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Many more:

Bud Abbott (of Abbott and Costello )
Roy Acuff
Eddie Arnold
Gene Autry
Count Basie
Tom Mix
Daniel Boone ( according to his son )
Ernest Borgnine
Robert C Byrd
Kit Carson
Roy Clark
Buffalo Bill Cody
Nat King Cole
Jack Dempsey
King Edward VII
King Edward VIII
Burl Ives
Michael Richardson ( Cosmo Kramer )
Marquis de Lafayette (took part in the American Revolution )
Sugar Ray Robinson
Roy Rogers
Will Rogers
Colonel Harland Sanders
Red Skelton
Joseph Smith ( founder of the Mormon Church )
Carl Switzer ("Alfalfa" from the Little Rascals )

Could keep going , but that's enough . Just wanted to post a few that never makes it on the usual list of suspects .

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
Robert Newman (hung the lantern for Paul Revere)
Charles Stratton, a.k.a. Tom Thumb, was 24 inches high and weighed 16 pounds when
raised in 1862.

mollyL

My husband is a guitar player, mostly rock and blues, and he told me that some of the great blues players were Freemasons. I think he mentioned Muddy Waters.

Green-Moo

There's certainly some names in there that I wasn't expecting. Harry Houdini for instance isn't a name I would have associated with the FreeMasons. Just goes to show that my preconceptions need breaking down!

mollyL

Seeing Mozart's name on the list reminds me that there is a two-disk version of Amadeus available on DVD now, I just saw it at the store today. It's a director's cut with about twenty minutes of added scenes. Something to add to your wish list (I've added it to mine)!

cemab4y

Famous Masons

Here is an excellent link:

Famous Freemasons

I was delighted to find that the late Mel Blanc, the voice of Bugs Bunny, and the cartoons that I cherished as a child (and still do), was a mason.

Green-Moo

I was delighted to find that the late Mel Blanc, the voice of Bugs Bunny, and the cartoons that I cherished as a child (and still do), was a mason.

I have a lovely mental image of Bugs Bunny kitted out in full ceremonial garb now! Thankyou!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Seeing Mozart's name on the list reminds me that there is a two-disk version of Amadeus available on DVD now, I just saw it at the store today. It's a director's cut with about twenty minutes of added scenes. Something to add to your wish list (I've added it to mine)!
Loved that movie , glad to see it on DVD now . Thanks for the heads up .

mollyL

You're welcome, Ashlar.
I saw on the list of famous Freemasons W.C. Fields' name, and I was really surprised because he seemed not the type to join organizations, especially a fraternal one. I don't know if he said it in a movie or wrote it, but I remember him saying that he wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would have him for a member:). Well, perhaps he wasn't such a lone wolf as he said he was!

cemab4y

Freemasonry

You're welcome, Ashlar.
I saw on the list of famous Freemasons W.C. Fields' name, and I was really surprised because he seemed not the type to join organizations, especially a fraternal one. I don't know if he said it in a movie or wrote it, but I remember him saying that he wouldn't want to be a member of any organization that would have him for a member:). Well, perhaps he wasn't such a lone wolf as he said he was!
That particular quote is from Groucho Marx. Groucho was never a Mason.

mollyL

You're right, I had my stories mixed up. The story about Fields is that he was once caught reading a Bible and when asked why he is supposed to have replied "I'm looking for loopholes."

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You're right, I had my stories mixed up. The story about Fields is that he was once caught reading a Bible and when asked why he is supposed to have replied "I'm looking for loopholes."
Never heard that one , outstanding !

I know of a famous Firefighter:D from Southeast Indiana that is a mason..... word has it that he is even a legend.....(well in his own mind anyways.....:eek::eek:)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Brad Paisley is a member. I thought there was another country music singer, but I cannot think of the name.