Free cards

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In my jurisdiction 50+ year Masons receive a free card and no longer have to pay dues .

I am one of those most vocal about doing away with this tradition . They can pay their way like everyone else . We just gave five 50 year members their cards and pins not long ago and not a one of them have ever been to lodge, any lodge , since they were Raised . None of us knew them .

Does your lodge/jurisdiction do this and how do you feel about it ?

I think I can take a guess how most feel about it , "They have paid their dues and deserve it !" . I on the other hand , of course , will be the only one against this lol .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Well, If I were to get a fifty year pin, I would be 104 years old at the time. I doubt I'd be taking a jetpack to lodge at that age :)

My Jurisdiction would really piss you off. All members in good standing at age 88 get lifetime membership.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Honestly , I wouldn't care but in some lodges the free card members now out number the dues paying members and it is really hurting them .

My plan that I want to see passed is to Grandfather 40+ year members in , but do away with the free cards after that .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
In my jurisdiction 50+ year Masons receive a free card and no longer have to pay dues .

I am one of those most vocal about doing away with this tradition . They can pay their way like everyone else . We just gave five 50 year members their cards and pins not long ago and not a one of them have ever been to lodge, any lodge , since they were Raised . None of us knew them .

Does your lodge/jurisdiction do this and how do you feel about it ?

I think I can take a guess how most feel about it , "They have paid their dues and deserve it !" . I on the other hand , of course , will be the only one against this lol .
Off topic- Why would anyone pay dues for 50 years and never go to a Lodge? :confused2:

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation...

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Off topic- Why would anyone pay dues for 50 years and never go to a Lodge? :confused2:

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation...
So they can say they are a Mason and wear the ring...even if they can't remember anything about it.

S&F

edwmax

Yes ... we call it 'emeritus' members : 50-year Mason or a Mason who is 75 yo & been a Mason for 30 years.

I understand what you are saying .... But, there is two sides to this coin.

The 50 year Mason has been a contributing Members for 50 years through his dues at least. May be he hasn't attended the Lodge like he should, but his dues were paid. ...

One: The Older Mason is now on a fixed income, if he is unable to continue to contribute donations to the Lodge or pay in the amount of dues anyway (a couple in my Lodge pays dues as a donation even tho they are emeritus): Is it because financial distress & tight budget? Then do we help him if his finances do not meet his needs?? ... also note here if the Mason is on a really tight budget in his retirement years, he would have no choice but to drop his Membership if required to continue paying dues.

Two: The Old Mason is retired an Ok financially. ... In my Lodge a couple continue to pay their dues as donations and in addition donate $200 to $400 a year. One Emeritus Member bought a perpetual Membership too.

Many Masons believe the Emeritus Member does not cost the Lodge. In respects to the 'per Capita' tax paid to the GL this is usually true. But to the operation & maintenance of the Lodge this is not true. Many Lodges have a decreased Membership with few Dues paying Members carrying the load of building and Lodge maintenance. ... Years ago, I tried to get our Building Association and the Lodge to create a 'rainy day' fund in CDs so the interest would help with expenses and off-set decreasing membership. They didn't do it and now we are to the point dues need to be increase again.

I've been rambling again ... but the point is ... this is a lack of financial planning problem on the part of the Lodge and/or education of its members on budget & expenses of the Lodge. I don't believe that granting 'Emeritus' (no dues) to 50 year Masons is the cause of the problem. A Lodge needs to look at its Membership and predict how many will become 'Emeritus' vs how many new members are being made & added to the rolls. Then plan accordingly.

The last time we raised dues ($35 to $50), 5 Members dimited out. What will be the lose in your Lodge if dues are raised?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We have more than enough money in our various CDs' , I still want to do away with free cards . I am called a d*ck by some and a hard*ss by others !

We Raised our dues from $ 60 to $100 Last year ( sorry year before last) and I think we lost two or three members if I remember correctly . But they were no great loss , they were the ones we always had to chase down for dues , suspend for NPD and reinstate every year or two .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We have more than enough money in our various CDs' , I still want to do away with free cards . I am called a d*ck by some and a hard*ss by others !

We Raised our dues from $ 60 to $100 Last year ( sorry year before last) and I think we lost two or three members if I remember correctly . But they were no great loss , they were the ones we always had to chase down for dues , suspend for NPD and reinstate every year or two .
Speaking about dues: When I joined I was expecting to pay $200-300 a year, we pay $75 and the 'guys' at Lodge got all whiny about about the $5 increase this year.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Speaking about dues: When I joined I was expecting to pay $200-300 a year, we pay $75 and the 'guys' at Lodge got all whiny about about the $5 increase this year.
My dues are $125 roughly. I'm envious of guys who pay $75 bucks.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I am thinking that it would be better to worry about Masonic topics and charity, than to have to be so wrapped up about the finances and the building!
Going back to the custom of over a hundred years ago, of using a rented room over a store, bank, or tavern might be preferable.

S&F

MWS

We only have a few brethren with honourary dues paid cards. They receive them as a gift of thanks after many years of dedication to the lodge.

Our dues just went from $140 to $240 in one year (in 2002 the bylaws stated the dues couldn't be raised for a number of years). We were so stretched for cash, keeping the ol' temple in repair, we had to raise them significantly. There were some demits and a lot of grumbling but at the end of the day it was necessary. As far as I'm concerned it's only a few rounds of golf anyway...well worth it.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
It is hard to imagine the Craft giving up their Lodge buildings, even though it makes good sense.
The Lodge I visited in Illinois sold their building and bought a store front, it worked. They are solvent. During that same visit we went to another Lodge in the area to see its woodwork and its columns, which are in the Ripley's Believe it or not book as the largest movable columns build for their purpose. They are beautiful, what would happen to them if that Lodge was sold?
Has the Craft out grown the 'room over the tavern'? Perhaps and perhaps not. Maybe its time for a new style of Lodge, an old school Lodge in a room over a tavern.

edwmax

It is hard to imagine the Craft giving up their Lodge buildings, even though it makes good sense.

Has the Craft out grown the 'room over the tavern'? Perhaps and perhaps not. Maybe its time for a new style of Lodge, an old school Lodge in a room over a tavern.
But why not own the building and rent to the Taven??? I know of several Lodges that rent out a portion of their building to retail stores. They do not have a financial problem and their dues are $30 /year. ... (damn low!!!) one has a little less than $30k in CDs and growing. ... Another Lodge almost 20 years ago, sold their prime real estate and build a new Lodge (paid) ... and put slightly over $400k in CDs.

... Oh, BTW ... about 5 years ago I bought a perpetual Membership ($2200). My dues are locked for life and can not be increased. The GL pays back to my Lodge yearly my dues less the GL tax.

goomba

Our grand lodge doesn’t have a “you’ve been around for a while so it’s free” clause. However, my lodge has it in the by-laws. If you are 70 or older the lodge pays your dues. Also all PM’s have their dues paid. Now the sad part is my lodge dues are $15.00 per year. Granted we have about $28K in CD’s and keep about $10K in the checking account. We have rental office space as well so the lodge is good finically. I wish the dues would go up to $200 per year.

cemab4y

The Grand Lodge of KY awards free lifetime membership to all masons who have paid their dues for 50 years. (They must have paid dues to a KENTUCKY lodge, out of state dues are NOT transferable). I am all for this, as a reward for faithfully paying dues to our lodge and Grand Lodge. Not all of the 50-year members are able to attend lodge regularly, some are disabled, or have night-vision problems. etc.