Free cards

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The Grand Lodge of KY awards free lifetime membership to all masons who have paid their dues for 50 years. (They must have paid dues to a KENTUCKY lodge, out of state dues are NOT transferable). I am all for this, as a reward for faithfully paying dues to our lodge and Grand Lodge. Not all of the 50-year members are able to attend lodge regularly, some are disabled, or have night-vision problems. etc.
I know how it works here as I am a member and you may be very disappointed in the near future as we are in talks about doing away with it across the Commonwealth . But this must be done on the lodge level as this is not mandated by the Grand Lodge , the Grand Lodge only waves a 50 year member's GL assessments , but the Grand Lodge has no control over what each lodge does concerning this matter . But it has been STRONGLY suggested that all lodges remove this rule from their by-laws .

And as I said , twice , I am all for doing away with it , and I am going to start becoming VERY vocal in my two lodges concerning removing it from our by-laws and make 50 year members pay dues .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Our grand lodge doesn’t have a “you’ve been around for a while so it’s free” clause. However, my lodge has it in the by-laws. If you are 70 or older the lodge pays your dues. Also all PM’s have their dues paid. Now the sad part is my lodge dues are $15.00 per year. Granted we have about $28K in CD’s and keep about $10K in the checking account. We have rental office space as well so the lodge is good finically. I wish the dues would go up to $200 per year.
If my lodge had that rule in their bylaws,
80% of the members wouldnt pay. Hearing brothers pay under a $100 per year makes me feel like Im getting ripped off.

edwmax

If my lodge had that rule in their bylaws,
80% of the members wouldnt pay. Hearing brothers pay under a $100 per year makes me feel like Im getting ripped off.
It's about financial planning for the Lodge. Some of us has to do fund raisers (2 Xs/yr) to help cover building expenses ($1200/yr insurance; $300/mn utilities; other general maintenance) and rent out the dinning hall ($3K to $4k income). this is the only way to keep dues low.

A few Members wants to do away with renting out the building. We simple ask them, if they are willing for their dues to increase by 3 Xs to meet expenses. They are not.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
But why not own the building and rent to the Taven??? I know of several Lodges that rent out a portion of their building to retail stores. They do not have a financial problem and their dues are $30 /year. ... (damn low!!!) one has a little less than $30k in CDs and growing. ... Another Lodge almost 20 years ago, sold their prime real estate and build a new Lodge (paid) ... and put slightly over $400k in CDs.

... Oh, BTW ... about 5 years ago I bought a perpetual Membership ($2200). My dues are locked for life and can not be increased. The GL pays back to my Lodge yearly my dues less the GL tax.
Renting out part of the building to a business sounds like a capital idea...unfortunately, my lodge building was purpose built as a lodge and couldn't be used like that. :(

In NC (AF&AM), we have Endowed Membership, which is either 20 times your lodge annual dues as a one time payment, or payments over 5 years of an amount a little higher. In our GL, my lodge will get paid for my membership, out of the endowment, even after I am gone.

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Renting out my Lodge building hasnt worked out. Since our GL wont allow alcohol on the premesis... Weddings, etc are out.