Freemasons: Three degrees of revelation

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
For years people across the world have regarded Freemasons as being part of a club shrouded in secrecy. Freemasonry is the oldest and largest existing fraternity in the world. Its members say it is neither a religion nor a cult. It has more than five million members worldwide and numbers continue to grow. Charlotte Azzopardi unravels the secrets behind the mysterious group."People seem to think it’s a secret, but it’s not,’’ says John Burgess, a freemason for 50 years.
‘‘There’s little bits and pieces of it that are distinctly peculiar to Freemasonry that only freemasons know. But if you go on the internet you can find whatever you like about it.’’
But it wasn’t always like that. Rumours that it was a secret cult, religion or world government were whispered behind the backs of men who gathered, dressed in identical clothing, for reasons no one knew.
Today that’s something freemasons laugh off.
‘‘It’s a shame people think like that,’’ says Darley resident Gary Vaughan. ‘‘I’ve told people I’m a freemason. Some of them are intrigued and some people say I’m in a cult. It’s not a cult. It’s nothing like that. It’s not about religion either.’’
Freemasons promote a way of life that brings like-minded men together in a brotherhood. The principles are based on tolerance, equality, charity, honour, morality and self-development.

more Freemasons: Three degrees of revelation - Local News - News - General - Hume Weekly

With all respect, I find nothing positive about this article.

We are not "a club".

We do have "secrets".

We do not all wear tuxedos.

Articles like this simply play down the true meaning behind Masonry and seek to pacify the paranoid masses that fear what they do not understand. Masonry does have secrets....and yes, they go far beyond the grips and words. Masonry is not a "club", nor is it a "charity". I see no need to continue to tell the world that we are simply a bunch of guys who get together to practice public speaking and that we have nothing to do with religion or anything esoteric. We, as an Order, need to stop worrying about pacifying the anti-masons and get back to Masonry.

Your Brother,

Jason

Winter

I've been here before
Mr Vaughan, 34, is relatively new to Freemasonry, having just completed the three degrees required to become a master mason — the entry level rank in the lodge.
Misinformation here, implying that there is a greater status for a Mason than the 3rd Degree.

The idea behind the requirement to deliver speeches — known as ‘‘charges’’ — in front of the lodge to fellow masons is to teach members how to speak publicly, sometimes in front of hundreds of people.
Sure, why not. Since there's nothing actually in the speeches themselves to help a Brother develop morally and spiritually.

The most widely held belief is that modern Freemasonry evolved from the stonemasons’ guilds in 17th century England. The theory suggests that guilds started the movement to admit non-craftsmen to help spread moral and spiritual ideas.
How does this tired and worn out explanation still make it into press releases? I dare you to go down to your local steamfitters union and ask them to join since their trade is such a great vehicle for personal growth.

‘‘The gloves came about so no one could tell what job you did. Whether you were a labourer or a surgeon, if it’s covered no one knows. Everyone is treated on what we call ‘the level’ — equal,’’ Mr Ralph says.
I would like some citation for this reasoning Mr. Ralph. Tsk, Tsk. Someone hasn't been studying their degrees for the reason of the white gloves.

It’s a club, that’s what it is, a club of people and a club of friends. There’s a lot of networking and a lot of friends to be made.
If that's all it is to you, I don't want you in my Order. It is garbage articles like these that are the reason that we need,

A) Better education of our members so that they actually know how to describe Masonry when asked,

B) A standing order that any press releases be vetted through the GL so that they don't present Freemasonry incorrectly.

C) [redacted because I was miffed when I wrote it.] :)

Misinformation here, implying that there is a greater status for a Mason than the 3rd Degree.

Sure, why not. Since there's nothing actually in the speeches themselves to help a Brother develop morally and spiritually.

How does this tired and worn out explanation still make it into press releases? I dare you to go down to your local steamfitters union and ask them to join since their trade is such a great vehicle for personal growth.

I would like some citation for this reasoning Mr. Ralph. Tsk, Tsk. Someone hasn't been studying their degrees for the reason of the white gloves.

If that's all it is to you, I don't want you in my Order. It is garbage articles like these that are the reason that we need,

A) Better education of our members so that they actually know how to describe Masonry when asked,

B) A standing order that any press releases be vetted through the GL so that they don't present Freemasonry incorrectly.

C) [redacted because I was miffed when I wrote it.] :)
Probably actually needs said.....

G

Gary

Sadly, not every article about us will be positive. But hopefully we can educate some of those about why something is wrong.
It makes for good discussion among Masons too. We can't fix things if we don't share ideas.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
It makes for good discussion among Masons too. We can't fix things if we don't share ideas.
Too bad some want to sweep things under the rug or put their head in the sand.

It is good to know what is being said..... even if it is false but well meaning Brothers....
That is where the conspiracy theorist websites come in. Boy are they fun if you want to have fun with them. Sadly though, this came through google news.

Too bad some want to sweep things under the rug or put their head in the sand.

That is where the conspiracy theorist websites come in. Boy are they fun if you want to have fun with them. Sadly though, this came through google news.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer..... I think a serious study of the conspiracy theorist would be good, if for nothing more than knowing what they think....

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer..... I think a serious study of the conspiracy theorist would be good, if for nothing more than knowing what they think....
Well in all honesty, I may joke about messing with them. But some places, I really have to wonder if they truly do not have a mental disorder. The stuff some people come up with makes me wonder. I'm not sure if some are trolling or actually believe it.

Well in all honesty, I may joke about messing with them. But some places, I really have to wonder if they truly do not have a mental disorder. The stuff some people come up with makes me wonder. I'm not sure if some are trolling or actually believe it.
Not defending them but many have posed the same thoughts about masons as well..... we as masons should be as tolerant of them as we wish them to be of us. To us they are wackos but to many they are genius.....To many, masons do some very odd things.....but to us it is not. I find their thoughts to be interesting and entertaining and if a respectful conversation could be had with the anti's, I would interested in listening or even participating........BUT I would draw the line at tin foil hats..... they are so 1985 (think DEVO:eek:)

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Not defending them but many have posed the same thoughts about masons as well..... we as masons should be as tolerant of them as we wish them to be of us. To us they are wackos but to many they are genius.....To many, masons do some very odd things.....but to us it is not. I find their thoughts to be interesting and entertaining and if a respectful conversation could be had with the anti's, I would interested in listening or even participating........BUT I would draw the line at tin foil hats..... they are so 1985 (think DEVO:eek:)
I'll try and find some examples if you wish. They do not only deal with masons. Some people really go above and beyond when it comes to their theories. To the point of making Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory look like a normal person.

I'll try and find some examples if you wish. They do not only deal with masons. Some people really go above and beyond when it comes to their theories. To the point of making Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory look like a normal person.
Oh, I know where you are coming from.... I have read many...MANY outlandish things from those sites..... I "tolerate" their opinions/thoughts....acceptance is a different story.......

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Sorry Brothers, I have a very low tolerance level for stupidity.
I do my best, but when we start talking about shape changing, and gremlins living in the middle of the earth, I have to take a step back and wonder about how stable someone could be.

G

Gary

I'm sure Bro. Franks can comment on this. If you look at the behavior of these theorists, you'll see a common thread. Paranoia/Bi-Polar tendencies. The believe the junk they come up with.

I've known several conspiracy theory folks. every one of them displays the same pattern. One friend even completely stopped talking to me when I joined Freemasonry. we had been friend for over twenty years.