Going dark for the summer?

Bill_F

Our lodge is going dark for the summer, except for Catechism, brushing up on floor work, or attending a fine lecture on "Uncommon Masonic Education" by Coach Nagy tomorrow. Anyone else's Lodge going dark also?

MWS

We're dark for July and August, but get together Sundays to landscape the temple...and informally get together for BBQ and beer. I enjoy a break from ritual for a few weeks, an opportunity to enjoy the family more while the kids are out of school.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't take a peek at the lectures from time to time, but nice on a sunny afternoon with a bottle of beer...

I thought all Lodges took a summer break, interesting to hear otherwise.

Bill_F

How about t-shirt and jeans to go in, and then change there?
we did have an informal 4th of July festival, bounce houses and child I.D. for the kids. I heard it was great this year, I missed it due to work.

Zack

We don't go dark. Business as usual.
The only difference is we do away with coat and tie and wear Lodge shirts until September.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
We do not go dark . Going dark is not even an option for us as it is in our constitution that all the lodges must hold at least one regular stated meeting every month .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
We don't go dark. Business as usual.
The only difference is we do away with coat and tie and wear Lodge shirts until September.
Unfortunately, Grand Lodge has come down on us for officers being "out of uniform" in the past. Last summer, the Master gave the members permission to remove their jackets but had to tell the officers to keep them on.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Unfortunately, Grand Lodge has come down on us for officers being "out of uniform" in the past. Last summer, the Master gave the members permission to remove their jackets but had to tell the officers to keep them on.
That sounds unreasonable of the GL to dictate that strictly in the summer.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
We have a stated meeting and nothing more in July. As no degrees are put on, officers wear lodge polo shirts.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
That sounds unreasonable of the GL to dictate that strictly in the summer.
We did get to take off our gloves last night. I didn't care, it was my first time officially sitting as Junior Warden and I didn't screw up :) The meal I put on was very well received. There were brothers in the lodge room I hadn't seen in two years. A great, if steamy, evening. Having been on Weight Watchers for the past couple of months, I could even button my tux jacket while seated :) It doesn't get any better.

We go dark from mid June until September, summer school for officers (informal dress) where we rehearse in the chair you will occupy the following year. For example this coming year I am Senior Steward but rehearsing Junior Deacon. We close during the summer because when we are open, we meet Every Monday. Only lodge in MD that meets that often. And we wear gloves on Degree nights and Funeral Services.