Going In Blind - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

T

The Alchemist

I know some of you read the title and was like :confused:, but hear me out...

Typically, when a person wants to join Masonry, they're advised to research the craft before making a decision. Research typically means going on the internet or picking up books on the subject. Personally, I've been told to read "Born In Blood." Aside from that, here's what I've found out for myself. Most of these websites on the internet and these books are written by non-masons. I would think that it'd be difficult to get factual information from someone whose never even stepped foot in a lodge. Aside from most of the information being written by non-masons, most info on the internet is written by anti-masonic conspiracy nuts. So, there's no shortage of misinformation.

Of course it would be a good idea to approach a Mason, ask him some questions and get a general understanding of who the Freemasons are and what the organization is about. But I've seen a lot of guys get themselves in trouble by trying to go behind Masonry's back and trying to learn what goes on inside without being a member. And on top of being nosy, their information was also wrong.

With there being so much misinformation floating around, would you recommend a person go in blind (with only a general explanation from a Mason)?

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer

Typically, when a person wants to join Masonry, they're advised to research the craft before making a decision. Research typically means going on the internet or picking up books on the subject. Personally, I've been told to read "Born In Blood." Aside from that, here's what I've found out for myself. Most of these websites on the internet and these books are written by non-masons. I would think that it'd be difficult to get factual information from someone whose never even stepped foot in a lodge. Aside from most of the information being written by non-masons, most info on the internet is written by anti-masonic conspiracy nuts. So, there's no shortage of misinformation.

Of course it would be a good idea to approach a Mason, ask him some questions and get a general understanding of who the Freemasons are and what the organization is about. But I've seen a lot of guys get themselves in trouble by trying to go behind Masonry's back and trying to learn what goes on inside without being a member. And on top of being nosy, their information was also wrong.

With there being so much misinformation floating around, would you recommend a person go in blind (with only a general explanation from a Mason)?
I did, basically, go in blind, I had met a few of my now Lodge Brothers before my petition was signed, 1 of the 3 in my IC was a gut I work with, I was surprised, and I was dumb enough to find the EA ritual online and read through it be my initiation (in hindsight a mistake but due to my suspicious nature it made me feel safer).
It was and is the best time I have had. There is a thread on this forum about my journey to FM.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member

That's like asking someone to invest money in something they know nothing about. I wouldn't do it.

As far as books, There a great many books written about Freemasonry by actual Masons. Two very good ones are The Dummies guide to Freemasons By Hodapp, and the complete idiots guide to Freemasonry by Brent Morris.

Both of those explain the in's and outs of Freemasonry, and the do's and don'ts.

jaya

That's like asking someone to invest money in something they know nothing about. I wouldn't do it.

As far as books, There a great many books written about Freemasonry by actual Masons. Two very good ones are The Dummies guide to Freemasons By Hodapp, and the complete idiots guide to Freemasonry by Brent Morris.

Both of those explain the in's and outs of Freemasonry, and the do's and don'ts.
Both of these books are great for someone looking at joining the craft. I have recommended both to those looking to join.

In regards to Born in Blood, the authors took way to many liberties when trying to proove their point. You can not use another book that you have written as a source for proving a theory. There are many things in that book that have been proven false. It does nothing anyway to tell the candidate about what freemasonry actually is.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I went in completely blind . All the men who I knew whom were Masons were some of the greatest men I knew . If it was good enough for them , then it was good enough for me .

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Blind-ish. I didn't look at the secrets but I did look up some teaching and principles and the "Anti" stuff just made me laugh.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I should clarify my statement about going into this venture blind. We are all blind to some degree when we enter the fraternity. What I meant, is that if you don't have anything or anyone to base your information on, it may be foolish to join without prior research of what you are going to do.

Many of the Brothers who have shared their experiences here have had at least some good information or advice before such an undertaking.

I also echo Bro. Coach. His Builder's series of books are a very valuable asset in one's journey in Masonry. I have all of them in my library, and they are well used and worn from frequent reference.

Duncan1574

I also echo Bro. Coach. His Builder's series of books are a very valuable asset in one's journey in Masonry. I have all of them in my library, and they are well used and worn from frequent reference.

But do not read ahead!

Duncan1574

Great advice!
As I have stated before, I read ahead for my EA and I regreted it, I had a pile of FM books, including all of your's Coach, I didn't read them until AFTER I had been through the degree that 'cleared' me, in my heart, to read them. I have a copy of the Bristol Ritual from the UK, Bro. Patrick had it until well after my Raising.... (Great book, with the gavel icons and all).

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I went in blind to a point, my grandpa was a 64 year Mason and my dad is a 55 year Mason. I trusted that Masonry was good enough for them and that they would not mislead me and they didn't.

T

The Alchemist

But do not read ahead!
I was tempted to read ahead. I even have a copy of Duncan's Ritual from 1866. I haven't even opened it. At first, I was curious. But I'll read all that info only when I've proven myself worthy of knowing that information.

Duncan1574

I was tempted to read ahead. I even have a copy of Duncan's Ritual from 1866. I haven't even opened it. At first, I was curious. But I'll read all that info only when I've proven myself worthy of knowing that information.
As a newer Mason, I can tell you that the EA ritual was different than any other any I had experienced, not at all in violation with ANY of my ethics, morals, or spirituality. It was a wonderfully, unique experience. I have watched several EAs since then and learned more each time.

Enjoy your journey in Freemasonry, when you finish your EA, report back to us on your personal impressions, as you will have the light to understand you won't be able to or the desire to tell all. :)

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
The "Dummies" and "Complete Idiot's" books are great for the petitioner. Both were written by well respected brothers and neither violates any obligation so you're not going to find out anything you shouldn't know.

If you have a skeptical significant other, "Walking With the Widow's Son" is a great book for them.

The Rituals are designed to be a surprise. They are most effective when you don't know what's coming. I am now in charge of preparing Candidates as Junior Deacon (I got "promoted" Saturday night by the Worshipful Master from Senior Steward to Junior Deacon). I'll tell you the same thing that I have told each of the Candidates sitting outside the lodge room waiting to be initiated:

The men in that room have all voted to be your friend and brother. You have nothing to fear from them. Each of us has sat where you sit now. The Officers have put in many hours of practice and study to make this evening one you will fondly remember for the rest of your life. Relax, pay attention and enjoy yourselves as you take the first step in a lifelong journey.

Now, That will be followed by three questions :)

The "Dummies" and "Complete Idiot's" books are great for the petitioner. Both were written by well respected brothers and neither violates any obligation so you're not going to find out anything you shouldn't know.

If you have a skeptical significant other, "Walking With the Widow's Son" is a great book for them.

The Rituals are designed to be a surprise. They are most effective when you don't know what's coming. I am now in charge of preparing Candidates as Junior Deacon (I got "promoted" Saturday night by the Worshipful Master from Senior Steward to Junior Deacon). I'll tell you the same thing that I have told each of the Candidates sitting outside the lodge room waiting to be initiated:

The men in that room have all voted to be your friend and brother. You have nothing to fear from them. Each of us has sat where you sit now. The Officers have put in many hours of practice and study to make this evening one you will fondly remember for the rest of your life. Relax, pay attention and enjoy yourselves as you take the first step in a lifelong journey.

Is this like a field commission???

Nice info on the book for the skeptical significant other....I had not heard of this.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Is this like a field commission???

Nice info on the book for the skeptical significant other....I had not heard of this.

Yeah, kinda like a field promotion. The officers line in my lodge, like most everything today, has been impacted by the economy. Several of the men who have shown great dedication to the lodge over the years have had to take new jobs that are either far away from the lodge or have a schedule that doesn't allow them to attend. Thankfully, there are several men, like me, that can do the work and are stepping up to give the poor Past Masters who have been filling in a break.

I guess we are unusual in that the Master appoints multiple people to the lower chairs. We have three Junior Stewards, 2 Senior Stewards, etc. If the Master decides to make me JD permanently, there is still a SS. He just gets to sit in the chair full-time while we were alternating months before.

FF Sparky

I will echo....'Freemasonry for Dummies' by Chris HoDapp before or after joining, and Definately the Builders series by Brother John Nagy. I'm starting to re-read his series of books for the second time.