Going In Blind - Good Idea or Bad Idea?

cemab4y

I always recommend the "Idiot's/Dummies" books. No esoteric information is revealed, and the candidate gets a good "Cliff's Notes" view of the craft , and the appendant bodies. One book I always recommend is "A Pilgrim's Path" by John Robinson. Mr. Robinson was not a Mason when he researched and wrote the book, and his viewpoint is honest and without any prejudices for nor against Masonry.

Joining Masonry is a serious and life-changing decision, and if a man wants to do some "homework" , I think it is great.

thebrianmo

I know some of you read the title and was like :confused:, but hear me out...

Typically, when a person wants to join Masonry, they're advised to research the craft before making a decision. Research typically means going on the internet or picking up books on the subject. Personally, I've been told to read "Born In Blood." Aside from that, here's what I've found out for myself. Most of these websites on the internet and these books are written by non-masons. I would think that it'd be difficult to get factual information from someone whose never even stepped foot in a lodge. Aside from most of the information being written by non-masons, most info on the internet is written by anti-masonic conspiracy nuts. So, there's no shortage of misinformation.

Of course it would be a good idea to approach a Mason, ask him some questions and get a general understanding of who the Freemasons are and what the organization is about. But I've seen a lot of guys get themselves in trouble by trying to go behind Masonry's back and trying to learn what goes on inside without being a member. And on top of being nosy, their information was also wrong.

With there being so much misinformation floating around, would you recommend a person go in blind (with only a general explanation from a Mason)?
I knew a lot going in, however I knew nothing about the rituals/degrees because I did not want to spoil it. I recommend reading "Freemasonry For Dummies."