Greeting from South Florida

manfernandez

Good day all,

I am new to the forum and new to Freemasons. I have petitioned my local lodge and I have been doing much research. I hope to be able to be an asset to the forum.

I had a question regarding preparation for my journey. I have ordered the "complete idiots guide to Freemason" and some DVDs as well. I was wondering what else I can read/view to get me prepared. I want to be prepared if at all possible respecting the "secrecy"

I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Whatever I set my mind to, I must be the BEST I can be. Most of the time I am my worst critic though.

I look forward to you feedback.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Manny

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Welcome to Freemason Hall and congrats on joining the Fraternity . As regards to preperation in becoming a Freemason , I always tell new candidates to go in blind . If you find out too much , then it may ruin the experiance for you . "Freemasons for Dummies" is fine , but I really wouldn't go into things that delve into the degree work itself . Things like how the degree itself is done , the Obligation , grips words and what have you . I would just stick to the basics . You have plenty of time to learn all about Freemasonry when you are Raised to the Sublime degree of a Master Mason . What you may read in a book or on the internet or whatch on a video may not be how things are done in the Lodge you are joining . They will teach you what is needed as you go along so don't sweat it , you'll do fine .

All you need to do to prepare to become a Freemason is to show up with an open heart and mind and enjoy . Let your future Brother's worry about the rest .

manfernandez

Ashlar521,

Thank you for your prompt response. It is great to see an active forum. Point well taken. My comments were based on something I read saying that there were many Freemasons that did not make an effort to learn about the craft and were stagnant in their respective lodges. Since this is new to me, I want to make sure I do not give that impression. I am also excited about Freemasonry:D.

I most certainly want to experience all that Freemasonry has to offer. And understand that with time comes knowledge. I do not want to learn about what takes place behind closed doors, yet. I wanted to learn what I should to be "up to speed" (if if course there is such a state). Things such as history of Freemasons, maybe terminology etc.

I am sure the book you recommended will give me precisely that information. I will order that one today. Do you have any comments regarding (Amazon.com: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry S. Brent Morris: Books) I ordered it based on the review by A.C. Hopper (the last review)?

Again, thank you for you response and thanks for the advise. I will certainly take it.

Manny

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Manny,
Welcome to freemason hall, the forum, and most of all the fraternity. As Ashlar has so nicely put it, I would prefer you go in blind as well. Knowing too much about the process detracts from the actual journey you are taking. Don't worry, everything should be explained to you during your journey. Keep an open mind and just concentrate on what is happening in the present. I am sure you will find it the best way to experience it, many others have. I wish you the best of luck with your entrance into freemasonry.

I will issue a few words of caution if you elect to pursue additional information before receiving any of the degrees, do NOT believe all that you hear from others, and only about 1/2 of what you see unless you are in the lodge. I hasten to say such things but if your on the internet, there is more written about masonry than any of us could ever possibly comprehend. The hard part is the Anti-Masonic rhetoric, this tends to sway the less informed as I am sure you will see.

Again, congrats and keep us all informed with your progress.

manfernandez

BG_TRBL

Thank you for you response. I will take your advice and slow the information gathering. I am in the Digital Forensics business and it is a force of habit to "over collect information" :D

I look forward to communicating with you all in the future and I will keep you informed.

Once again, Thanks

Manny

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Greetings and salutations. Well I hate to re-hash it, but I believe going in blind is the best choice. Just pay attention, after you go through, your Lodge should allow you to sit in on the degree next time its put on.

I went through with a Brother who read a few books on the degree work. He kept saying they didn't do this or that, and I don't think he really grasped what was being done as he was waiting for something that never came.

You will do fine.

BTW, how is South Florida treating you? You been getting those nightly rain storms down there?

manfernandez

Thanks for the reply.

As for South Florida, well it is either really hot or really wet. Sometimes hot and wet :mad:

But yes nightly rains have been crazy.

Thanks again,

Manny

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

As for South Florida, well it is either really hot or really wet. Sometimes hot and wet :mad:

But yes nightly rains have been crazy.

Thanks again,

Manny
Yeah, I live just north of Tampa. I kind of miss the 3pm showers, nice and lite and didn't get so humid afterwards.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Manfernandez , You are on the right track now . I know it's hard to refrain from reading everything you can concerning Freemasonry and I know where you are coming from about wanting all the info you can find , I am the same way . After you become a Master Mason , if your like me , you will have a library full of Masonic literature .

mndane

Good day all,

I am new to the forum and new to Freemasons. I have petitioned my local lodge and I have been doing much research. I hope to be able to be an asset to the forum.

I had a question regarding preparation for my journey. I have ordered the "complete idiots guide to Freemason" and some DVDs as well. I was wondering what else I can read/view to get me prepared. I want to be prepared if at all possible respecting the "secrecy"

I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Whatever I set my mind to, I must be the BEST I can be. Most of the time I am my worst critic though.

I look forward to you feedback.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Manny
manfernandez
Welcome to the forum. Before I joined my lodge I read up on the history of free masonry, but I stayed away from anything related to the ritual work. Like others have already stated
not knowing what and how only make it more enjoyable.

manfernandez

New EA

I can now call you "Brother" and really mean it. Last night I went through my EA. I thank you all for the responses to my previous post and wanted to say that I did follow your advise and stayed away from sites that said they had the secrets.

I was pleasantly surprised last night. I am very happy with my lodge. Everyone was extremely nice and there was only a quick joke about hidden treasures under the lodge, referring to the National Treasure Film of course, but other than that, all were reverent. One of the brothers was the acting WM since his son was also going through the EA.

I was a bit nervous and had not eaten so my stomach was making strange noises:D. I really enjoyed it and look forward to becoming more active in this site.

Again thank you.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Welcome to the fraternity then. Congrats, and stay in close contact with your mentor while progressing. Best of luck.

manfernandez

Raised Last Night

Brethren,

Good evening. I wanted to update my initial post in hopes that I would help other potential brothers. As you can see, I had posted early last year regarding what to read. I followed the advise of the brothers and went at it blind. Last night I was raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. It was incredible. I did not read any of the ritual work and was happy about it.

Last week I was helping a newly initiated EA with his proficiency. I discussed with him what the most memorable part of the EA degree was for me. He told me, "While I was going through the degree, I kept thinking about what I had read on the Internet" I felt sorry for the young brother.

It is much better to go at it blind.

Thanks again brothers.

A virtual 5PF

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Congrats on being Raised to the Sublime degree of a Master Mason .I am glad that you took our advice to heart , there is nothing like going in with an open mind and having not already formed any opinions concerning Masonry . Myself , I even went so far as not to talk with other Masons outside of my own lodge till after I was Raised . I took the Charge to heart .

manfernandez

Congrats on being Raised to the Sublime degree of a Master Mason .I am glad that you took our advice to heart , there is nothing like going in with an open mind and having not already formed any opinions concerning Masonry . Myself , I even went so far as not to talk with other Masons outside of my own lodge till after I was Raised . I took the Charge to heart .

Thank you Brother. I hope to be more active on the forum.

Bro Manny