Had to change my signature.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I changed my signature today because I am now Junior Warden Elect of my lodge. Our Installation is set for June 13th. If you're in Massachusetts and want to see the worst looking pillar of beauty be installed, send me a PM. I have to deal with the food after all now :)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
First off , congrats .

Is it the norm for other jurisdiction's to have the JW deal with the meals ? In mine , that is the sole job of the Stewards .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Congratulations, Brother Wind!
I am sure you will take good care of The Lodge At Refreshment.

I've always loved the JW's recitation of his duties at opening and closing. The JW at North Park Lodge #646 of the F&AM of Indiana had a theatrical delivery and has always been my inspiration on how to deliver pieces long and short in the rituals. He later served at GM of Indiana, and presided over their recognition of PH Masonry in Indiana.

S&F

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
In ours it's the JW, but he is supposed to be assisted by the Stewards.
My lodge meets twice a month when we are conferring degrees. We have our Stated communication on the Second Thursday and Degree Work during a Special on the fourth Thursday. We open at 7:00 PM and serve a light meal after the meetings.

The JW handles everything before the meal. Ordering food, beer, scotch, soft drinks, and of course cookies. He brings the food to the lodge and starts any preparations before the meeting (turning on the oven to keep prepared food warm, putting the drinks on ice, etc). The Stewards are excused from the meeting a few minutes before we close and they bring the food from the kitchen to the game room and put it out. We set out a basket for donations for the food and trust the brethren to contribute. The Stewards are then responsible for cleanup but they rarely have to do it alone as there are always a few brothers helping out.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
First off , congrats .

Is it the norm for other jurisdiction's to have the JW deal with the meals ? In mine , that is the sole job of the Stewards .
It is rare we have Stewards unless for degree work. Here is the JW.

Congratulations.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We have had stewards in past years, but none appointed this year, we have enough men, we get stand-ins for degrees.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Not enough people attend Lodge? Why no stewards? No one wants to do it?
Filling the Stewards chairs in my jurisdiction can be a chore because of the preparation of meals . It is the responsibility of the SS to line everything out and the JS helps out . Young men just do not want to deal with the cooking , so I created a committee for that . Even if our JW took care of all that , I would remove that responsibility out of his hands also and place it on a three or four man committee . It is easier for three or four members to plan a meal and pick everything up , than just one .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I can understand that. I hated being a steward. Mostly because they wound up doing everything. Usually, it wound up being one steward who carried the load.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I can understand that. I hated being a steward. Mostly because they wound up doing everything. Usually, it wound up being one steward who carried the load.
Yep , that is why I named a committee for it . It always lands on one man's shoulders .