hello there

jmansephus

Greetings from central coast california!!
Just so everyone knows, i am not a freemason (as of this instant ), but am highly interested. I'm not certain my intentions, but being enthralled by higher knowledge, naturally fate led me here. My grandfather was a freemason, i never met the man, he past shortly after my birth... I have one of his masonic rings, latin inscription included... but this adds to the mystique.
I have SO many questions, but am confident that they can only be answered with initiation, go figure... I'm torn with the notion of joining for the wrong reasons... diving in head first, the perverbial cat and his curiosity.
Any three cents will be taken whole heartidly... this is a subject that fascinates me so please feel free to say anything!!
I also avidly study electro-magnetics, I understand more than the average bear... just in case you were wondering
Thanks for your time

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Just like Radio Shack:
You've got questions, we've got answers!

There are, really, very few things we'd rather not divulge to non-Masons: our secret handshakes, passwords, and precisely what goes on in our initiation rituals-what we call 'degrees.'
We'll answer just about anything else, leaving out those things we don't know (mostly!).

Now, jump in and stir up some discussions!

S&F [sincerely and fraternally]

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Just like Radio Shack:
You've got questions, we've got answers!

There are, really, very few things we'd rather not divulge to non-Masons: our secret handshakes, passwords, and precisely what goes on in our initiation rituals-what we call 'degrees.'
We'll answer just about anything else, leaving out those things we don't know (mostly!).

Now, jump in and stir up some discussions!

S&F [sincerely and fraternally]
Welcome and yes if you ask and we can answer, then you'll get a few answers on that one question I'm sure.

Bob, I always wondered what the S&F was for!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I also avidly study electro-magnetics, I understand more than the average bear... just in case you were wondering
How much does the average bear know about electro-magnetics? And how does that play into stealing picnic baskets? :D

Welcome and ask away.

jmansephus

i really appreciate everyone's kind words!!!
well, for starters, and this has been bugging me forever... would anyone be kind enough to explain to me the meaning behind the inscription on my grandfather's ring, a little flame encompassed by a triangle.
I'm slightly embarassed to ask, but, is freemasonry costly? Being in construction, work isn't exactly steady... and my wife is going to school, so keeping my two kids warm and full doesnt leave much breathing room in the ol pocketbook..
thats all the time i have now... i thank you all in advance

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Other than your annual dues you don't have to contribute money any further. In Ohio at least. The symbol to which you refer is a SR or Scottish Rite symbol I believe. I'm not in the SR so other than that I'm of no use.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
There are initiation or degree fees, the amount depends on the Lodge you choose to petition. Some jurisdictions require a background check. a fee which you would need to pay up front. As well as the yearly dues BukeyeJackson alluded to.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
There are initiation or degree fees, the amount depends on the Lodge you choose to petition. Some jurisdictions require a background check. a fee which you would need to pay up front. As well as the yearly dues BukeyeJackson alluded to.
Thank you Bro. I forgot about initiation fees. :rolleyes:

Winter

I've been here before
Is this the symbol you are describing?
That's not a flame. That is actually the Hebrew character yod or yud.

That symbol is the mark of a 14th degree Grand, Elect, Perfect and Sublime Mason.

The symbolism of that as relates to Masonry is beautiful, but you'll have to wait! lol

jmansephus

one question i have is: could certain legal events from my past prevent me from gaining admission? This is a somewhat embarassing matter but i have nothing to hide... i just wont post it on a forum... id be glad to tell you in a personal message if you think it may be of importance. I thank all of you in advance