"Higher" ranking?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
What do you consider bbq? Some mistakenly think that anything cooked on a grill or in a smoler is bbq. BBQ is PIG! :1-wink-grin: :D
I disagree. Barbecue comes from the word Barbacoa. That describes a method the Taino people used to cook food slowly over an open fire, or a hole dug in the ground and covered with leaves. They predate Columbus's arrival, and since pigs were introduced after Columbus's visit. Hernando DeSoto landed in the Tampa Bay area with 13 pigs in 1539. The Seminoles used to steal the pigs when they could, which help lead to them becoming feral.

However, pig used to be considered cheap, and often poor people got the poor parts which were tougher to eat, require longer and slow cooking. So it has worked well being BBQ'd and used often by those without as much money.

BBQ seems to be changing again, and often most dictionaries will now include something like this to describe BBQ:
A social gathering, usually held outdoors, at which food is cooked over an open flame.tr.v. bar·be·cued, bar·be·cu·ing, bar·be·cues

But I will agree with you that the cooking term barbecue refers to low and slow, while grilling is fast and hot.

jaya

Actually there are many theories where the word barbecue comes from. It is somewhat like the history of the origins of freemasonry, no one knows the real truth. However, BBQ started in NC. BBQ is not cooking out on a grill. We call that grillin'. You want some good BBQ, come to NC for the Lexington, NC for The Barbecue Festival or for a masonic fun come to The Annual NC Masonic Big Pig Jig BBQ Cook-off. We even had a BBQ dinner at the last Grand Lodge session. That was a great time.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I can talk to a Texan and he will state BBQ started there. But like you said, people will argue about the origins of Freemasonry to death. I I still disagree with the BBQ is pig though.

Have you looked into Braai cooking? A friend from South Africa sent me a book on cooking that style. I've tried it a few times and enjoyed it, and plan on doing it some more this year with my new setup.

Terry S

Unless there is some type of smokey cooking and bbq sauce involved, it is not bbq. I prefer the pig, but I'm open minded.

Cooking hamburgers on the grill is not bbq'ing. My best friend and I can't have a conversation without having this argument.

Terry S

Actually there are many theories where the word barbecue comes from. It is somewhat like the history of the origins of freemasonry, no one knows the real truth. However, BBQ started in NC. BBQ is not cooking out on a grill. We call that grillin'. You want some good BBQ, come to NC for the Lexington, NC for The Barbecue Festival or for a masonic fun come to The Annual NC Masonic Big Pig Jig BBQ Cook-off. We even had a BBQ dinner at the last Grand Lodge session. That was a great time.
We may need an investigation committee to find out who had the name first... There's been a Big Pig Jig in South Georgia for as long as I can remember. Some goooood eatin.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Unless there is some type of smokey cooking and bbq sauce involved, it is not bbq. I prefer the pig, but I'm open minded.

Cooking hamburgers on the grill is not bbq'ing. My best friend and I can't have a conversation without having this argument.
I'm really going to through myself under the buss. I prefer dry rubs. I will use sauce on pulled meats though, but not much. I do get lots of compliments when I do the DR. Pepper Spicy Pulled Pork though, which has its own sauce.

Zack

I'm really going to through myself under the buss. I prefer dry rubs. I will use sauce on pulled meats though, but not much. I do get lots of compliments when I do the DR. Pepper Spicy Pulled Pork though, which has its own sauce.
How about a recipe for the Dr. Pepper.

Terry S

Dry rub is a variation of sauce. Hard to say its clandestine, but not sure if its regular. Ill have to leave it to a higher authority.

edwmax

Oh, that white stuff they call BBQ sauce over in northern Al certainly isn't regular, so it must be the 'clandestine' BBQ sauce referred to above.

jaya

DRY RUB!!!!!! Actually, I will use a dry rub on a boston butt sometimes as something different.

As long as your not like those crazy people in SC that use a mustard based sauce. Can you imagine....mustard on pig????? That is scary just to think about. :eek: :3-thumbdown: :3-sick2:

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
DRY RUB!!!!!! Actually, I will use a dry rub on a boston butt sometimes as something different.

As long as your not like those crazy people in SC that use a mustard based sauce. Can you imagine....mustard on pig????? That is scary just to think about. :eek: :3-thumbdown: :3-sick2:
Golly, I put mustard on a ham and cheese sandwich.
But...I don't call it barbecue.
Gotta have Scott's Barbecue Sauce for that!
Hail Eastern NC slow cooked barbecue. [AKA "Pig-Pickin'"]

S&F

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member

I put mustard on my corn beef when I cook that on the egg. But that is basically making pastrami.