How Do I Respond..

sgvfreemason

So, I got me a nifty S&C ring, people are surprised that I am a Mason, and have been for a few years. People ask me all sorts of questions now, such as, "Do you guys have handshakes?" or "What did you do to become one, how much does it cost?" Sure, i'd like to bring a new Brother into the lodge, but to what extent can you talk about Freemasonry? My coach told me you can discuss most things, but NEVER what happens inside a lodge when it opened for Masonry. I can't divulge the the secrets of course but people are curious as to what we do outside the lodge also. For sure, I am getting more attention with my ring, just not sure how to deal with it! :D

So, I got me a nifty S&C ring, people are surprised that I am a Mason, and have been for a few years. People ask me all sorts of questions now, such as,1) "Do you guys have handshakes?" or 2)"What did you do to become one, how much does it cost?" Sure, i'd like to bring a new Brother into the lodge, but to what extent can you talk about Freemasonry? My coach told me you can discuss most things, but NEVER what happens inside a lodge when it opened for Masonry. I can't divulge the the secrets of course but people are curious as to what we do outside the lodge also. For sure, I am getting more attention with my ring, just not sure how to deal with it! :D
1) tell them yes... but we prefer the word grip
2) tell them how you first came to be a mason... you first had to ask.... and definitely tell them what the dues and such are.... that way they know in advance and if it is too much for them they wont be put in a bad situation later on and not be able to afford them...

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
1) tell them yes... but we prefer the word grip
2) tell them how you first came to be a mason... you first had to ask.... and definitely tell them what the dues and such are.... that way they know in advance and if it is too much for them they wont be put in a bad situation later on and not be able to afford them...
3.) Let them know the good that if not you Mother Lodge does maybe the GL level. If they want to know what you do outside of Lodge.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
So, I got me a nifty S&C ring, people are surprised that I am a Mason, and have been for a few years. People ask me all sorts of questions now, such as, "Do you guys have handshakes?" or "What did you do to become one, how much does it cost?" Sure, i'd like to bring a new Brother into the lodge, but to what extent can you talk about Freemasonry? My coach told me you can discuss most things, but NEVER what happens inside a lodge when it opened for Masonry. I can't divulge the the secrets of course but people are curious as to what we do outside the lodge also. For sure, I am getting more attention with my ring, just not sure how to deal with it! :D
In general, we can't talk about the means of recognition and the details of ritual. Other than that, I just speak in generalities. I have said things like, "We have a ritual to start and end our meetings, We always start and end with a prayer. In between, we do things like pay bills and plan fundraisers."

Strangers have walked up to me after noticing my ring. I realized early on that while I'm wearing that ring weather I know it or not, there are people watching me and I'm representing Masonry. It is a constant reminder to live as a Mason.

CoachN

Builder Builder
A Profane asked me about HA.

I told him to read Plato's writings on the life and death of Socrates and he'd be more informed than most Masons.

He blinked in disbelief and changed the topic real quick.

I guess he didn't want to drink the water.

G

Gary

A Profane asked me about HA.

I told him to read Plato's writings on the life and death of Socrates and he'd be more informed than most Masons.

He blinked in disbelief and changed the topic real quick.

I guess he didn't want to drink the water.
He probably thought it was Kool -Aid!

Winter

I've been here before
This means you have a reason to learn short answers to the questions you have been asked so you will be prepared to answer them in the future. Your GL most likely publishes prepared statements to answer most basic inquiries. If you use those as a base you will have a good groundwork to go with.

danmoran

Symbol of the bee hive

Consider the symbol of the bee hive. You see an entire lodge of Masons working for general good of the lodge and community from the outside of the hive. But nobody knows what the bees are doing from within the hive itself. Going any further than general answers to general questions may place you in a position of compromise. Simply be careful with your answers. Remember, curiosity opens the doors for questions. But you're made a Mason in the heart. If the man truly desires to become one, his heart will pursue it further. Also remember others are very good at posing questions and their motivations aren't always pure. Those questions are posed to draw information out of you that you know ought not be disclosed. Again, be careful you're not placed in a position to be compromised. :eek:

Winter

I've been here before
Consider the symbol of the bee hive. You see an entire lodge of Masons working for general good of the lodge and community from the outside of the hive. But nobody knows what the bees are doing from within the hive itself. Going any further than general answers to general questions may place you in a position of compromise. Simply be careful with your answers. Remember, curiosity opens the doors for questions. But you're made a Mason in the heart. If the man truly desires to become one, his heart will pursue it further. Also remember others are very good at posing questions and their motivations aren't always pure. Those questions are posed to draw information out of you that you know ought not be disclosed. Again, be careful you're not placed in a position to be compromised. :eek:
There is so little of what we actually do that cannot be discussed that I could talk for hours on end (and have) about our Order. The secrets should be guarded religiously, of course, but that is all the more reason the become an educated Mason so that you can discourse on the subject without violating your Ob.