how does Freemasonry help men become better?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You guys are awesome. So if my religion and faith already heavily develop these traits, can Freemasonry still benefit me?
My friend , If nothing else , you will gain friends and Brothers from all across the globe . You can go into just about any town and run into a friend in whom you have never met . You will have brothers that will give you the shirt off their backs , who will be there for you in your time of need . So yes , Freemasonry will still benefit you .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I wrote in my EA exam book that Freemasonry makes better men, who then make a better society.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I wrote in my EA exam book that Freemasonry makes better men, who then make a better society.
That reminds me of a verse from the Tao Te Ching:

Cultivate harmony within yourself, and harmony becomes real;
Cultivate harmony within your family, and harmony becomes fertile;
Cultivate harmony within your community, and harmony becomes abundant;
Cultivate harmony within your culture, and harmony becomes enduring;
Cultivate harmony within the world, and harmony becomes ubiquitous.

Live with a person to understand that person;
Live with a family to understand that family;
Live with a community to understand that community;
Live with a culture to understand that culture;
Live with the world to understand the world.

How can I live with the world?
By accepting.

I don't think Lao Tsu was a Mason :rolleyes:

CoachN

Builder Builder
How does it work? I know that Freemasons are honest men of integrity and that these are some of your core teachings. But how else do you help men become better?
If an Entered Mason does what is specified by the EA Ritual, he prepares himself to learn. He does this by divesting himself of those things that burden him. These things are called Vices and Superfluities. He also Strengthens himself by understanding true Virtues and practicing them as part of his being. This Work transforms the Morality and Emotional areas of the brain. Only after he has done so should he be Passed. To do so prematurely would burden him in his next efforts.

If a Fellow Craft does what is specified by the FC Ritual (and previous Degree), he learns how to learn. He does this by studying the SLAs&Ss. Studying these specific topics further transforms his Brain and brings Order to chaos. It patterns his brain so that it can recognize patterns that would remain hidden had he not studied. By doing this Work, he Raises himself from inability to ability. This improves a variety of different aspects of his entire being and life. Only after he has done this Work should he be acknowledged for it and Raised formally by his Brothers. To do so prematurely would sentence him to be a Ruffian.

If a Master Mason does what is specified by the MM Ritual, he has already sharpened his ability to learn, he is then asked to learn further and he is also offered opportunities to teach others.

If all of this doesn't make a good man better, then there are expectation issues that are far beyond Masonry's offering.
That's really up to you. You get out of Freemasonry what you put into it.
Yes. As with everything in life.
You guys are awesome. So if my religion and faith already heavily develop these traits, can Freemasonry still benefit me?
Please read what I just posted here.
Think about what each degree offers to you.
You tell me! ;)

G

Gary

Coach, This sounds good in theory...but doesn't always equate to practice. I DO agree with you in that this is the way it "should" be.

I actually did the things you mentioned, but then I'm a bibliophile. Most of the candidates I've seen who enter the lodges I've been to are initiated, passed, and raised inside of three months. Hardly enough time to absorb and reflect on the SLA's &Ss IMHO.

I think if less effort was made to "push" a brother to the sublime degree of Master Mason, and a little more time to educating him we'd see a different outcome. More emphasis seems to be put on learning the catechism's than anything else, which is a shame.

I was asked to teach the catechisms to new brothers, I may well accept with the stipulation that more time be spent reflecting on the important pieces presented in the lectures. If you don't drive those points home, often they are lost as just mere words spoken to get them to the next degree.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Coach, This sounds good in theory...but doesn't always equate to practice. I DO agree with you in that this is the way it "should" be.
Thanks Bro.,

Hence my use of the word "IF" before all sections. Masonry offers opportunity to make oneself better. I was addressing how it does, when a man applies himself to make this occur. If we want to be literal here, Masonry does nothing other than provide the path. It is the Work that men do on that path that makes them better.
I actually did the things you mentioned, but then I'm a bibliophile. Most of the candidates I've seen who enter the lodges I've been to are initiated, passed, and raised inside of three months. Hardly enough time to absorb and reflect on the SLA's &Ss IMHO.
Yup. And they are not required to do ANY of the actual Work that Ritual points to. If anything, all that they are required to do, most of the time in the USA, is be able to tell his Brothers what occurred during the degree(s). Most Masons are told that this is being Proficient in the preceding Degree. It is not. But that's another issue.
I think if less effort was made to "push" a brother to the sublime degree of Master Mason, and a little more time to educating him we'd see a different outcome. More emphasis seems to be put on learning the catechism's than anything else, which is a shame.
I agree. And I'll go one step further and say that most Masonic Education is focused upon the organization of Masons and not the Work that Masons should be doing to Build Builders.

But, then again, what do I know?... ;)
I was asked to teach the catechisms to new brothers, I may well accept with the stipulation that more time be spent reflecting on the important pieces presented in the lectures. If you don't drive those points home, often they are lost as just mere words spoken to get them to the next degree.
I make an earnest effort to not teach any Brother any thing until they commit to learning to become a Builder.

Until that commitment is made, all that I have before me is a person committed to being a maintenance man and a plug-n-play part in the Masonic Machine. (Not that this is a bad thing at all, but it's not where I want to focus my efforts. Others are much more suited for this purpose.)

IMO.

Bro. Coach N

G

Gary

OK, A couple of questions then. How do you determine who is a plug and play type compared to a person who is under the impression that things will actually be taught to help them develop into a builder?

Each person has a different learning style, and for some it may seem as if our "path" is equal to handing them a gavel and chisel and telling them to build the temple without any plans on the trestle board.

I'm not saying that we should hand them everything on a platter, but some initial education might be the spark for some to want to learn more. Of course, there will be those that are not receptive, or don't care to learn.

You get out of Freemasonry what you put into it, but if your options are not revealed you can't very well navigate the path you want to take effectively.

Keep in mind, I'm not arguing your statements, I'm just looking for more discussion on the topic. The reason I'm doing this is because this was my experience in joining the fraternity. If it weren't for that nagging habit of mine to ask why and what for about everything, I wouldn't know half of what I do today, which ain't much.

I'll save the other question for another thread/ time. It's got to do with "proficiency", and your right. It's a whole other topic.

Brother GaryE..... I dont believe the Coach will think you are arguing......from my experiences with him, he like a good discussion.

G

Gary

I certainly hope I'm not coming off as argumentative. I just met the guy...LOL

CoachN

Builder Builder
OK, A couple of questions then. How do you determine who is a plug and play type compared to a person who is under the impression that things will actually be taught to help them develop into a builder?
Great question Brother Gary!

I take the time to get to know him. I ask him questions as to his reasons and intentions behind his joining. I find out what's driving him. I make effort to find out his end-in-mind for himself. A casual conversation with a candidate or new Mason reveals much if you know what you're looking for. Certain overlapping cues in his responses re-enforce specific keys in his directions.

What's more, I drop hints as to what I see as the end-in-mind, the Work that is involved and how he may benefit should he take what is before him seriously and commit to something other then simply being a member.

In a nutshell, I make a sincere effort to corrupt the Brother toward being more invested in his own welfare through Masonry other than simply doing what is the minimum. I've succeeded more times than I can recall. :D

And, once again, I know the value of the "plug n play" types. They are critical to the functioning of the Lodge operations, specifically the Degree Work. I just know were my own interest lies and what I am best at supporting.
Each person has a different learning style, and for some it may seem as if our "path" is equal to handing them a gavel and chisel and telling them to build the temple without any plans on the trestle board.

I'm not saying that we should hand them everything on a platter, but some initial education might be the spark for some to want to learn more. Of course, there will be those that are not receptive, or don't care to learn.

You get out of Freemasonry what you put into it, but if your options are not revealed you can't very well navigate the path you want to take effectively.
Agreed!
Keep in mind, I'm not arguing your statements, I'm just looking for more discussion on the topic. The reason I'm doing this is because this was my experience in joining the fraternity. If it weren't for that nagging habit of mine to ask why and what for about everything, I wouldn't know half of what I do today, which ain't much.
My experience too Brother Gary. Words fail to express the utter frustration I felt in continuously being told to memorize the Catechism and all will become clear.

Well, it didn't. And what's more, when I asked questions after I memorized the Catechisms, I was told that no one knew the answers to my questions. It was a "MYSTERY" and that was the joy of Masonry, its MYSTERY.

ARG!!!!!! :mad:

I knew there was more but there was no one to support me in my efforts to penetrate the veils and Build Bridges of understanding showing how it all connected together and what it was intended to do.
I'll save the other question for another thread/ time. It's got to do with "proficiency", and your right. It's a whole other topic.
Yuppers! Good call Bro.

G

Gary

Thanks for the detailed response Coach! I guess we are alike in a lot of ways. I really want to make a difference in my Lodge, as well as Freemasonry as whole.

The questions I've asked are things I'd like to help change. As far as my second question, I see that you've written a book about it! LOL

One day....I hope to be such a beacon of light. Hopefully sometime soon we will actually meet. I'd love to pick your brain. :D

It's nice to see I'm not alone in my way of thinking. As frustrating as it may be, I really feel it's a worthy cause.

Being Thanksgiving and all, I'd like to tell my brothers here how thankful I am for having the opportunity to discuss and share these things. They (you know who you are) have been an inspiration and guide for me. For that I thank you all.

CoachN

Builder Builder
You're welcome Brother Gary,

I too have the want for my Lodge and for the whole of Masonry. The questions I asked at first were simple -- what does this word or symbol mean: how do you apply this Working Tool in real life; what's the thinking behind a particular statement in Ritual/Lecture/Catechism? It was only later on, and after much frustration, deadpanning and dead-ends, that I started asking questions related to directing positive change in the organization. I figured from my inqueries that there were others who had the same experience as me.

And it was that frustration and drive to assist others who were in like situation and mindset that brought me toward doing research on my own and bringing my findings to Lodge in the form of Masonic Education that was uncommon to the current Lodge experience and rightfully so. (Yes, that research and presentation effort led to eventually a whole bunch of stuff that I put into a book {vol 1}, and then another {vol 2}, and then another {vol 3} and still yet another {vol 4} to come, which is to be put forth in January. Included in these efforts were several articles for the FURTHER LIGHT Magazine -- all based upon research driven by that initial frustration. I'm a bit OC with this Light stuff.)

GOOD! I'm all for brain picking, it's one of the many efforts I use to get Light. Why should I be any less accomidating? :D

I see from your Lodge info that you are in the same area as me. Getting together would be awesome!

Happy Bird Day to you too!

Bro. Coach N