I finally got the call. WOO HOO!!

Woods

Last night I got a call from the WM of the lodge that I petitioned a while back. He wanted to let me know that they looked over my petition on Tuesday and decided that I was what they are looking for. I am very excited and a little nervous, as I'm not really sure what to expect. Although, my excitement far outweighs my nervousness. He told me that I will be going in as an EA on August 12th. Any advice that you guys can give would be much appreciated. I am so pumped about this experience. This is a very exciting time in my life!!!!:cool:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Well that's outstanding , congrats ! I remember back to the night before I was to be initiated , I was so nervous . And the night before I was Raised to the Sublime degree of a Master Mason , I was so excited that I couldn't sleep . I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve . Please keep us updated on your progress .

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
Nice!! I was so excited as well! Just relax and ENJOY it. I just went with it and loved evey min. Pay attention to what is going on around you. Man your going to love the EA! Keep us posted.

Congrads! It was just 3 months ago when I received my 1st. relax, enjoy and try to pay attention. I was given some very good advise that night; you get what you put into it. Good luck!

cemab4y

I will add my congratulations. The EA degree, is very important, it is your first time in a tyled lodge. I treasure my experience.

I encourage you to work with your coach, and go on to the FC/MM degrees, and you will cherish these degrees as well.

May the Great Architect of the Universe, guide your steps..

Woods

Rusty,
It was an amazing night. I have never enjoyed something so much. It was even better than I could imagine. This is a very exciting time for me. No one in my family is or ever was one. I am the first in my family and I am totally honored and humbled to begin a wonderful legacy that, I hope, will continue through my children.

Keep in mind... Not only am I the first in my family, but I also didn't know a soul that was a Mason. I went into this totally blind and never doubted my decision. Turns out, that this is the best decision I have ever made.

Esquire

Master Mason
Congrats, Bro Woods. I, too, am a new Mason and will pass to the FC degree later this month.

If it hasn't already, your Masonic education will begin soon where you commit to memory a large part of what you experienced in the First Degree. If your lodge is like mine, you won't be given any materials to study: You've got to memorize it all based on a verbal exchange you will have with your mentor/coach. I find these "memory sessions" to be very meaningful and a microcosm of true Masonic fellowship. (IMHO, the lodges that just hand a new Entered Apprentice a copy of the ritual and tell them to memorize it are doing a grave disservice to both the brother and the Craft.)

(BTW, since you are in Louisiana, did you join a red lodge or a blue lodge?)

Woods

I am sorry...I'm not familiar with Red Lodge or Blue Lodge. How would I know which one?

Actually, they did hand me something to learn from, but I think it's more of a study guide. I can't even read it. LOL I still need my mentor to spend time with me and teach me. Nothing can replace the verbal communication when it comes to learning the craft.

Esquire

Master Mason
I was given some "Masonic educational" materials to study, too. But nothing of the degree ritual that has to be memorized. That's all being communicated to me verbally by my mentor.

Louisiana is one of the few Masonic jurisdictions in the US where some local lodges are authorized to confer the Scottish Rite version of the first three degrees (hence "Red Lodge") rather than the much more common York Rite version ("Blue Lodge").

Woods

Oh...well, since you put it that way. I still have no idea what you are talking about. LOL I have so many questions and we have just added another one. I will find out in the morning though.

Esquire

Master Mason
Well, you don't need to worry about it. I was just curious.

If by chance you are in a Red Lodge, count yourself fortunate to be getting versions of the Craft degrees that most Masons never get to see.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Why the Symbolic lodge or Ancient Craft Masonry is called the "Bue Lodge" is because of the symbolic covering of the starry decked sky/canopy of heaven ,ergo "Blue Sky/Blue Lodge" or it refers to the color of the regalia and that many lodges have painted the ceilings blue to represent the sky .

The "Blue Lodge" is not considered the York Rite version of Freemasonry . The York Rite is a continuation of the 3 degrees but a seperate body none the less , and has no bearing on how the 3 degrees of Ancient Craft Masonry are conferred .

The Scottish Rite has it's own take on the EA ,FC ,and MM degrees. That is why you find a few "Red lodges" that put on those degrees though some view those degrees as irregular .

Woods you being an EA , I see know use of muddying up the waters for you . Like my mentor told me when I was asking about the different Rites and the other degrees , worry about learning the EA degree inside and out and the rest will come with time and experience .

Esquire

Master Mason
I wasn't trying to muddy it up for Woods; just asking if he had joined a Red Lodge.

And I should have said the "York version" of the three craft degrees rather than "York Rite." Nomenclature is really irrelevant, however. The point being that the Scottish Rite versions of the EA, FC, and MM degrees are significantly different from those given in the Blue Lodges. (I think they would only be considered "irregular," though, if worked in a lodge that was not authorized to do so.)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I wasn't trying to muddy it up for Woods; just asking if he had joined a Red Lodge.

And I should have said the "York version" of the three craft degrees rather than "York Rite." Nomenclature is really irrelevant, however. The point being that the Scottish Rite versions of the EA, FC, and MM degrees are significantly different from those given in the Blue Lodges. (I think they would only be considered "irregular," though, if worked in a lodge that was not authorized to do so.)

I wasn't saying you were muddying the waters . Just , I'm a firm believer in that EA's need not worry about anything other than the EA degree, and the FC the Fellow Craft degree . After a Mason is Raised to the Sublime degree of a Master Mason , then they can study further . In my Lodge , we frown on EA's and FC's reading and studying material that goes beyond their degree , except the very basics . And conversing Masonicly with anyone in person or online that has not been vouched for by a Master Mason who was present at their Initiation is not allowed because it is a violation of their Charge they were given .

Truth be told , nomenclature is relevant . To a new EA or someone that is not in the know would think , because of the wording , that there is a York Rite Blue Lodge when there is no such thing .

Esquire

Master Mason
Bro Woods, here is a link to the 16th District's web site in Louisiana. It gives a pretty good explanation of "Scottish Rite Blue Lodges" (i.e, "Red Lodges") which are all in this district. If you joined a lodge in this district, then you are getting the Scottish Rite version of the first three degrees. (But it seems like I remember reading somewhere that there is one other district in LA that works the SR Blue Lodge degrees). Is this something you should be concerned about? Not in the least. Just enjoy your degree work and get the most out of it that you can.

From their web site: "The Sixteenth Masonic District Lodge is a constituent Lodge of the Grand Lodge of Louisiana, Free and Accepted Masons. The District Lodge meets quarterly and is comprised of ten "Scottish Rite" Blue Lodges from Jefferson and Orleans Parishes. Only ten Blue Lodges in the U.S.A. work in the Scottish Rite ritual; all are located in the New Orleans, LA area."

http://geocities.com/ladistrict16/

Also, check out the web site for the Albert Pike Lodge: Albert Pike Lodge

"Albert Pike Lodge No. 376 F&AM was chartered in 1918 by the Grand Lodge of the State of Louisiana. Albert Pike Lodge is a member of the 16th Masonic District (the "Scottish Rite District") and uses the Scottish Rite ritual for its work, unlike most other lodges in the United States. This ritual is an adaptation of the French Rite.

"All 10 lodges in the 16th District use this ritual, under special dispensation from our Grand Lodge. Because of the way New Orleans was founded, Spanish and French influence was strong, as well as from other immigrant groups. Hence, lodges in our District at one time performed their work variously in French, Spanish (one still does so today), German, and Italian. Our degrees are more ornate than the York blue lodge degrees, especially the Entered Apprentice degree. Visitors to New Orleans are urged to call ahead to see if an EA degree is being put on by one of our district lodges -- it's something to see." (Emphasis added.)

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
Well done Brothers Woods and Esquire!!! As a note, try not to research too much on the net about your upcomming ddegree work, as it may spoil the experience for you. After you are Raised, then look around more. Just my 2 cents Brothers.

Esquire

Master Mason
Well done Brothers Woods and Esquire!!! As a note, try not to research too much on the net about your upcomming ddegree work, as it may spoil the experience for you. After you are Raised, then look around more. Just my 2 cents Brothers.
Very good advice. In my reading and research on Masonry, I have purposely tried to stay away from anything relating directly to the three degrees. I've mostly been reading history and philosophical works.